Pirate

Post by jamaica » 07-27-2007 01:26 AM

Ian Punnett should be the regular host!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Kurtzilla
Pirate

Post by Kurtzilla » 07-29-2007 02:38 PM

jamaica wrote: ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Thanks for fixing the spelling for me. I tried to edit it, but was too late.

zed
Pirate

Post by zed » 07-31-2007 10:13 AM

July 30th, the day after the GK/John Lear interview.

I was DX-ing to find something to listen to to fall asleep by (other than C2C and Snoory). It's amazing how many stations carry C2C, so it was hard not to run into the show.

At one point I heard something about mushrooms (identifying mushrooms is a hobby of mine) so I tuned in for a minute. GN's guests were talking about the use of psychedelics for theraputic purposes. So this guy calls in and says he was in Hawaii, and some locals took him to a field where they found and ate some mildly hallucinogenic mushrooms, but he wasn't sure what kind they were.

GN chimes in and says, "They must be ____ mushrooms. Yes, that's what they are." (I forget exactly what name he used), whereupon his guest corrected him and mentioned which ones they were more likely to be.

Not surprising that GN was corrected, because little does he know that there are 20 or more characteristics of a mushroom that must be examined before an identification can be made; and ultimately, microsopic examination of the spores is needed to confirm an identity.

George? Are you listening? Good... You can't identify a mushroom over the radio.

My feeling was that GN did a quick google search for "hawaii mushroom" and clicked on the first or second link he found, saw a name, and instantly became an expert mycologist!

At that point I turned off the radio and listened to the breeze coming off the air conditioner to go to sleep by...

kookaburra
Pirate

Post by kookaburra » 08-09-2007 02:25 PM

Sorry for this rant, it's only my second post, but it's been building for months and I had to get it off my chest.

I'm a streamlink member, listening on my ipod from the other side of the world...

And I have a bit of a different take on George Noory.

I like him. I think he seems like an ordinary guy in extraordinary circumstances.

But - I think he's also having an existential crisis, right before our ears.

He wasn't always like this, he's been slowly withdrawing for some time. Years perhaps, certainly months. You didn't always used to hear him surfing the net, keyboard tapping and papers rustling, quite clearly, in the background. Now, that's what I call a bad line! I wonder, does he know that we can hear that? But I don't want to bash him - like I said, I like the guy. His heart's in the right place.

It does seem however that he's now almost exclusively interested in guests only to to with impending distaster, death and the afterlife. He's become death-obsessed.

It's something I think everyone who becomes seriously interested in, or involved with the metaphysical faces, and must at least accept or resolve somehow. It's just that George is going through that process, in rather drawn-out fashion, on a nationally syndicated radio show, and it's very seriously affecting his ability to host and interview.

He needs a break, to step back and absorb everything he's been through, everything he's learned. We have the ability to switch off, or to store podcasts and listen to them 'at our leisure'. He's at the coal-face every night for four hours. The retirement of Art Bell removed his safety net. Now it's just him, and while he is becoming more and more ego-driven it's just a cover for his on-air, slowly descompressing anxiety...

Plus, he's the constant focus of an incredible amount of metaphysical expectation, psychic energy... whatever you want to call it. Focussed intent, every night, for him to 'be good, ask the right questions, be interesting, funny, smart, charming... entertain and inform us!' Is it any wonder he's very clearly, bit by bit, checking out? This ain't no normal talk show, after all.

And the more stressed and worn out he gets, the less he feels like prepping for interviews, and feels he can catch up online as he talks to them... which i think we can all see isn't working. The more criticism he takes, the more he needs to reinforce his ego, the more his handlers need to do so, until he's completely unable to let go - after all, under this much criticism, wouldn't you be terrified of taking a break? (While at the same time, telling yourself you're the only person who can possibly do the show - in fact, you ARE the show?) And yet, strangely, the more distant, checked-out and ambivalent he gets, the more his 'people' will reinforce that he's 'better than ever'. But under all that, he knows. He must know... the pressure of the show is taking it's toll.

After all, in his current state of essential disinterest, or in the least, lack of focus, who wouldn't do better? Any guest host for any serious length - a week even - would be brighter, with new ideas and energized enthusiasm, and seem like a breath of fresh air... I don't envy the guy. The entertainment world is cut-throat with ambition. He's between a mothership and a hard place. At least, that's how it must seem. Even Carson took time off once in a while - didn't he? And remember, people loved Hank Kingsely as host... on the first night...

But I'm afraid he's not going to let go until he totally and completely burns out... the next step is for him to have a public meltdown, to blow up at a guest he's too burned out to make the effort to follow, and freak out on air... then it won't be the guest who's bumped and Hoagland stepping in for the third hour, it'll be Hoagland stepping in as emergency host!

No - Noory was once bright, fun, eager and interested. But his workload, and his information overload (remember, he gets the information we get, and at times, as I'm sure all dedicated fans know, it can get into your mind and run amok) has almost certainly gotten to him. And he needs a break to sort that out.

I think the ouija board show was the final straw - finally confessing he's obsessed with death, publically denied the resolution he so desperately needs, and has been pressuring himself to resolve, probably building exponentially since the realisation of the mystery behind his poor aunt's death, (that resolution would, of course, ultimately have been denied him) responding finally to fear and susperstition, (that guy who came on the like the voice of Big Poppa in the Sky telling him not to do it, which essentially amounted to spiritual blackmail) and especially ego - the notion that he, in the end, could be the one to destroy the world - that, I think was finally too much.

Wow - he's really backed himself into a psychic and emotional corner... poor dude.

The responsibility, real or imagined (and I believe it's partly both) is too much. He needs to book the kinds of guests who can help him with mental de-fragging, sort of on-air metaphysical therapy, (use the show for what it is to help himself out of his malaise and help him re-engage) which would be a big call both from George himself and for the show to actually execute - but might just make damn good radio if it's done with integrity. (Erm... right?)

Or, even better, he needs a holiday, to recharge his batteries, clear his head, naturally de-frag and process a bit, and come back with renewed vigour, and capable of some intellectual rigour...

He needs to regain his respect, his cred with the c2c community, return with the refreshed charm that made his quite ordinary faults kind of endearing (with less ego) rather than annoying... or poor Noory is going to end up a classic example of the stressed-out celeb, in the worst way. And no-one wants to see, or hear, that...

I think it's the only way he can prove he's 'still got it' - to show that he's confident to walk away, a proper break, a month or even just a fortnight, and show both himself and the show the respect he and it are due.

I'm sure it'll still be here when he gets back...

Anyway, end rant. Hope it helps!

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 08-09-2007 06:51 PM

Very interesting comments and well done.

However, I don't think George is stressing out over the pressures of the job and replacing a legend. Just the opposite, in fact. I think he's become an ego-maniac who actually believes he's just as good as Art Bell and knows better about what's best for C2C and its audience than Art Bell.

He's not burning out - he's ablaze with adoration...for himself.

ibme
Pirate

Post by ibme » 08-09-2007 07:15 PM

like I said, I like the guy. His heart's in the right place.
No, I don't think it is.

starbrite
Pirate

Post by starbrite » 08-09-2007 11:20 PM

I thoroughly agree with your analysis of George. I have been posting elsewhere on the George topic, GNS, and have fun there. I like George's talent and I do also feel that he is having somesort of on the air disturbance. My goodness, could you host C2C six days a week and not break? The cord is tight and I do not mean to astral project.

It is funny, that I said in a less sophisticated manner today: GEORGE TAKE A VACATION!!! I suggested a monestary.

He is an endearing man, not Art Bell, but that is okay. He has his own personality and his own rendition of the show.

Did I take it that he could use the show to psychoanalize himself of his problems? Use the show and explore topics that could recharge himself? Perhaps.

He has been in the past, before I ventured into the posting world, a kind man. He should be kind to himself and rekindle his spirit.

Elk
Pirate

Post by Elk » 08-10-2007 11:59 PM

Dr. Phil: "So George. What seems to be bothering you?"
Noory: "Well...gee...gosh...there is so much. I dont know where to start. First off, the network stuck me in the basement to do my show. Then, my producer keeps killing my plants. My dog divorced me and moved out of the house."
Dr. Phil: "Why did your dog do that?"

Noory: "I dont know...something about lousy dog food. Anyway, then there is the problem with the guests they force on me. They all speak in a foriegn language! I havent a clue to what they are saying! I get all tongue tied and I screw up my words. Hoagland keeps trying to hog the show, and Linda wont go out with me. I keep seeing little shadow mice all over the studio, and my bumper music sucks!"
Dr. Phil: " George, George, George! All of these things can be fixed! You're the boss. Make your people get off their butts and make it right!"

Noory: "Oh yeh? You think its that easy? Those turkeys....sittin' in there behind the glass...pointing and laughing. Do you know what Tom did to me the other day?"
Dr. Phil: "No I dont. Why dont you tell me?"

Noory: "Right in the middle of my live Dennys commercial, he dropped trou and mooned me. Seriously! Pressed his buns right up on the glass! I totally blew the reading. He made me stumble and instead of saying 'meat eaters bonanza', I ended up with 'meat beaters bananas'. I was mortified!"
Dr. Phil: "I see. Well, maybe a change in personal is in order?

Noory: "God knows Ive tried. Nobody wants to work for me. They all say stuff like, 'Now that Art is gone, whats the point?' Then there are those horrid forums. I made the mistake of Googling my name. Cripes! That was a stupid thing to do. Those people out there on the internet are vicious! I cant take it anymore! Im goin' nuckin' futs! What can I do Doc?"
Dr. Phil: "..........dooo dee dooo..."

Noory: "Doc? HEY DOC?"
Dr. Phil: "Hmmm."

Noory: " Well doc?"
Dr.Phil: "Gee. I just noticed. I'm wearing one brown sock, and one black one..."
Last edited by Elk on 08-11-2007 12:09 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-11-2007 12:40 AM

Stop it Elk, too funny............:D :D :D

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 08-11-2007 01:05 AM

Good 'un, Elk.

Biker:D
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Nightingale
Pirate

Post by Nightingale » 09-27-2007 11:06 AM

I am new here but a long time reader, always got my laugh of the day by reading this thread, guess not many listeners to Coast during the week.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-29-2011 01:27 PM

bump :D

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 05-29-2011 02:30 PM

OMG, you've performed a resurrection Fan! You're magical! :D

I was almost going to start a new thread called, more generically, "Hostisms" so that no particular host was singled out... but this old thread will do fine.

I suppose this means I'll have to start listening to GN more. Bittersweet. :D

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-29-2011 03:02 PM

dotcosm wrote: OMG, you've performed a resurrection Fan! You're magical! :D

I was almost going to start a new thread called, more generically, "Hostisms" so that no particular host was singled out... but this old thread will do fine.

I suppose this means I'll have to start listening to GN more. Bittersweet. :D

I can help you time-shift your pain, lol, using dar.fm - Free up to 2GBs of recordings. They are like a cloud PVR for available audio streams. I even grab Face The Nation audio there. They have apps for your smartphone also.

Note - You have to subscribe to Coast Weekend editions, in addition to the regular weekday stream, to get the all the shows.

Have fun! :tonguesmi

dotcosm
Pirate

Post by dotcosm » 05-29-2011 03:39 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I can help you time-shift your pain, lol, using dar.fm - Free up to 2GBs of recordings. They are like a cloud PVR for available audio streams. I even grab Face The Nation audio there. They have apps for your smartphone also.

Note - You have to subscribe to Coast Weekend editions, in addition to the regular weekday stream, to get the all the shows.

Have fun! :tonguesmi
Hi Dale, that's good info. Although, I've been a streamlink member for years now and almost never listen live, just can't stand the commercials. Even so, unless the guest is someone I really want to hear, I barely listen to GN. Actually, if the guest is someone I really want to hear, it is even MORE frustrating to listen to GN interviewing them. I've been suffering through those moments in silence though, which made it even more unbearable. Maybe now it will be fun again? :D

Return to “George Noory/C2C AM Topics/Radio topics”