Tornadoes

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Tornadoes

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-28-2011 11:27 AM

The USA has suffered severe damage - death - national disasters from the central plains to southeastern states.

Wed 4-27-2011 saw the worst destruction across several states as well as death tolls over 200 (latest news early Thurs morning).

Prayers go out to all who have family or friends who have suffered losses.

(Yes while tornadoes were ripping up so many places - floods are also causing severe problems too.)

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 04-29-2011 10:08 PM

My heart goes out to all those who have suffered loss because of the tornadoes. I hope that the government help they recieve helps each of them to see how important it is that we be a WE society that pays taxes to help our neighborssociety.

I have never lived in tornado country and have never seen one, so I have a question. Why is the death toll so high? Wasn't it day time? Didn't people have warning it was coming? Couldn't they just get into their cars or on a bus and move out of its path in time?
Last edited by Iris on 04-29-2011 10:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 04-30-2011 04:22 AM

Yes its all very,very sad :(

My love goes out to all!!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-30-2011 02:30 PM

Tornadoes are not quite like hurricanes - that travel a singular path. Tornadoes do a hop-skip-jump around bit. Now some of the bigger ones - EF4s and 5s - will follow a path for a certain distance.

Have seen several tornadoes over the years including the EF5 that hit north KC, KS and MO area some years ago. Just last year we had a small one come down in the middle of the intersection about half mile down the road. It touched down, went back up - did bust one of the electric poles, but didn't harm the line. Half an hour later further north it hit some houses in the nearby town - mostly roof damage and trees knocked down. It again went up into the air - took a west-north-west direction and touched down again tearing up some guy's barn and shed several miles west. Then it disappeared completely.

The time these tornadoes hit and the path they followed was terrible. Some people were asleep and never heard the sirens. Some did try to seek shelter, but far too many of the homes had no basements. From what one reporter stated, there were some who had tried to drive away - they didn't make it.

===
On a personal note - still waiting to hear from two friends from chat groups on mIRC.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 04-30-2011 02:46 PM

Linnea passed away last night, there is a thread in the ship's gallery honoring her.

showthread.php?s=&postid=654208#post654208

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 04-30-2011 04:20 PM

I used to live in tornado alley... We never had one closer than 5 miles to us, and I was never privy to seeing the damage; however, I know how horrific they can be. My cousins were picked up by one in the middle of the night, right out of their house, and deposited 2 miles east, right next to an interstate. Neither of them were hurt badly - just bruises and cuts - but they lost everything.

Now there are more storms predicted for these areas, and the search for the missing continues. It breaks my heart.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-01-2011 02:55 AM

Cherry, thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize they hopped and skipped. I know earthquakes well, but tornadoes not at all.

Bobbi, that's an amazing story! Thank heavens they were okay. What did they say that experience was like? It must have scared them nearly to death. Would me.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 06-01-2011 02:15 PM

Friend called me from out of state, i am california.....asked how
close I was to the tornado, wasnt a joke but the only news
about it I found was in the LA Times and short video....
whats that about?:(

joan roberts
Pirate

Post by joan roberts » 06-01-2011 02:19 PM

Should have added...it's pouring rain here right now. Liquid
summer

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 06-01-2011 04:49 PM

Iris wrote:
Bobbi, that's an amazing story! Thank heavens they were okay. What did they say that experience was like? It must have scared them nearly to death. Would me.

They were totally naked when they came to... my cousin had no choice but to crawl up the ditch and flag down a trucker, and since it was the middle of the night, it must have been quite a shock to that driver. My cousin explained what had just happened, and the trucker gave my cousin a blanket to take down so his wife could cover herself up. The trucker took them to my cousin's sister's house, in town, and dropped them off.

The funny part of this is, 25 years later when Rod & I were home visiting relatives, this cousin took us to a truck-stop diner for a late night bite to eat. While we were all sitting at a table, there was a trucker having a meal and coffee at the counter, talking to another driver about this very incident. It turned out this was the very same trucker who had picked up my cousins, that fateful night, and drove them to town... It gave my cousins - this time fully dressed! - a chance to thank him again for helping them in their time of need.

How's that for coincidence??!
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

joan roberts
Pirate

tornados

Post by joan roberts » 06-02-2011 12:29 PM

Radio earnings last night, sacramento area for tornado.
1st local news I heard, Went back to LA Times....
May 26. Chico california tornado, video there about it.
Heard 25 almond trees, a barn and someones roof gone.
I am a native calif, never heard about a tornado here
before.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: tornados

Post by Fan » 06-02-2011 01:11 PM

joan roberts wrote: Radio earnings last night, sacramento area for tornado.
1st local news I heard, Went back to LA Times....
May 26. Chico california tornado, video there about it.
Heard 25 almond trees, a barn and someones roof gone.
I am a native calif, never heard about a tornado here
before.

the weather really is crazy this spring... every day there is some news about insane storms, town being flattened, high heat, low temps, flooding, etc etc etc

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”