Hurricane Season 2008 - The Official Thread

Moderator: Super Moderators

How bad do you think this year's hurricane season will be?

Barely a wind to speak of....
5%
We'll see a few small, barely organized storms that will fall apart quickly
14%
Several major storms -- at least Cat 3 -- will hit the U.S. causing minimal damage
29%
At least one catastrophic storm will slam our shores causing mass destruction and death
52%

Total votes: 21

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-22-2008 10:37 AM

The short - but eventful - life of Ike - The Big Picture - Boston.com

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 ... fe_of.html

:(

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Low pressure tropical disturbance your way, SL

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-22-2008 09:31 PM

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 PM EDT MON SEP 22 2008

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE CENTERED OVER THE EASTERN DOMINICAN
REPUBLIC CONTINUES TO PRODUCE HEAVY RAINS OVER PORTIONS OF THE
EASTERN DOMINICAN REPUBLIC...PUERTO RICO...AND THE U.S. AND
BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS. WHILE THE CIRCULATION HAS BECOME BETTER
DEFINED DURING THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS...THE ASSOCIATED SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS REMAIN POORLY ORGANIZED AT THIS TIME DUE TO
UPPER-LEVEL WESTERLY WINDS. THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO
BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION AT ANY TIME DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO
AS IT MOVES NORTHWESTWARD AWAY FROM HISPANIOLA. HEAVY RAINFALL
WITH POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODING IS EXPECTED TO
CONTINUE OVER THE AREA THROUGH TUESDAY. INTERESTS IN PUERTO
RICO...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...HISPANIOLA...THE TURKS AND CAICOS
ISLANDS...AND THE SOUTHEASTERN BAHAMAS SHOULD CONTINUE TO MONITOR
THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM AND PRODUCTS ISSUED BY THEIR LOCAL
WEATHER FORECAST OFFICES.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS.

FORECASTER BEVEN

Satellite pix here>>
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-24-2008 07:34 AM

Sorry Joanie I have been working so much that I haven't been keeping an eye out. Thanks for the heads up

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 09-24-2008 03:45 PM

Be careful. :(
Laura, a dear friend of ours (like a daughter to us), just started working at Club Med in Florida. My eyes are on both of you. Well, all of you out that way. She is at the Florida location, St. L... something? (My brain? :D) for 6 months and then one of the Islands I believe. Click on my myspace and you'll see her.

Stay safe. :)
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

The Unnamed Storm

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-24-2008 09:24 PM

We have an unnamed storm churning southeast of Wilmington, NC. Expecting rain and high winds (we have an advisory at this time). Power outages and downed trees/tree limbs are possible.

The only reason it's not been named is that it doesn't have a well-formed center of circulation, i.e., doesn't have "tropical characteristics."

Here's the deal>>
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 09-25-2008 11:40 AM

Just tying up some loose ends here; the tiger reported to be loose on Bolivar was never in danger of roaming Galveston County and was captured using a tranquilizer dart. Also, the tiger's owner had a lion, which rode out the storm on a leash by the owner's side in a Baptist church in Anauhac. (that's pronounced "AN-a-whack") Both of these animals have been transfered to a secure facility in Somerville, Texas.

And this note: there was no release of monkeys from Galveston's UTMB (University of Texas Medical Branch) and therefore are NOT speading a deadly viral infection across the island. However, there is a $50 reward for the most outrageous rumor in the disaster area. Seriously. :)

Galveston Island is once again open for residents to return, but the west end is still on a look-and-leave policy. Curfew has been extended, now running from 8pm to 6am. I'm trying to find someone who wants to drive down there for a photo op, possibly disquised as contractors.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-25-2008 06:40 PM

Yo Spikey.

Thanks for the update. I saw a news piece on the tiger in the church (I think it was on "Inside Edition" or some such show). That was really sweet. Refuge for All Creatures Great and Small.

Also saw a dear lady who lost everything -- she no insurance. She just stood outside what was left of her house crying and crying. :(

I'm sure you want to go out there and see what's what, but it will be depressing. See if you can help someone while you're out there. :)
Last edited by HurricaneJoanie on 09-25-2008 06:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Kyle

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-25-2008 06:45 PM

Kyle's path looks to be heading far off the Mid-Atlantic coast and making U.S. landfall in upper Maine

TROPICAL STORM KYLE ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL112008
500 PM AST THU SEP 25 2008

...LOW PRESSURE AREA FINALLY DEVELOPS INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE...

INTERESTS IN BERMUDA SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF KYLE.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT AND SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT THE LOW PRESSURE AREA THAT MOVED NORTHWARD FROM HISPANIOLA HAS DEVELOPED INTO A TROPICAL STORM.

AT 500 PM AST...2100Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM KYLE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 23.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 68.3 WEST OR ABOUT 645
MILES...1035 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF BERMUDA.

KYLE IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR...AND THIS
GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 45 MPH...75 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 105 MILES...165 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

THE HURRICANE HUNTERS REPORTED A MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE OF 1001
MB...29.56 INCHES.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Storm in NC

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-25-2008 06:50 PM

My area is going through quite a rain and wind storm. It seems like the very early beginnings of a hurricane but that's all that's going on.

From the NHC - Storm 1

A WELL-DEFINED NON-TROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 60
MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE SOUTH CAROLINA-NORTH CAROLINA BORDER IS
MOVING WEST-NORTHWESTWARD NEAR 10 MPH. THE LOW CONTINUES TO BE
EMBEDDED WITHIN A FRONTAL ZONE AND THE POSSIBILITY THAT THIS SYSTEM
DEVELOPS INTO A SUBTROPICAL OR TROPICAL CYCLONE BEFORE MOVING
INLAND OVERNIGHT IS DIMINISHING. STRONG WINDS...COASTAL
FLOODING...HIGH SURF...AND DANGEROUS RIP CURRENTS WILL CONTINUE
ALONG PORTIONS OF THE U.S. EAST COAST DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.
INTERESTS ALONG THE U.S. EAST COAST FROM SOUTH CAROLINA NORTHWARD
TO THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR STATEMENTS FROM
THEIR LOCAL NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST OFFICES...AND ALSO
HIGH SEAS FORECASTS ISSUED BY THE OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER FOR
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND WARNINGS.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-25-2008 07:19 PM

Stay safe Joanie and anyone else in the path of this storm......

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-25-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks, Shirl. I've got good ol' Michelins which helped get me home safely. The wind was really pushing the car around. Also got some hefty new storm doors earlier in the month which are serving me well.

A big gust of wind just hit the house but these winds are sustained so it's just every once in a while. We will get the worst of this tonight. This is supposed to go on until Saturday morning. The storm is just sitting off the SC/NC border -- lots of flooding up and down the Outer Banks.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-26-2008 05:27 PM

Stay Safe Joanie, thinking about you and having a snickers bar in your honor :D

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

No-name storm lands with rain, gusts in Carolina

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 09-26-2008 06:54 PM

Hey Linda,

Hope that Snickers was g-o-o-d! One of my faves!
Thanks for the tribute. :D

I'm just fine. Some very strong winds late last night/early this morning which woke me up.

Had some strong rain today -- it would rain for about three minutes then stop, and if you drove down the street for a mile or so, you'd be hit by another downpour. Very hurricane-y. The sky was gorgeous tonight. Very well-defined clouds -- dark purple, patches of blue, orange-peachy clouds, and a LOVELY rainbow in the midst of it all!

The news article below gives a good account of what we've been experiencing:

By ESTES THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer
Fri Sep 26, 2:55 PM ET

RALEIGH, N.C. - A storm that worried forecasters but never gained tropical strength over the Atlantic pushed across the Carolinas on Friday with scattered power outages and propelled rain and rough surf farther up Atlantic seaboard.

Meteorologist Barrett Smith at the National Weather Service in Raleigh said the low pressure in the storm would continue to weaken as the center moved northward and out of North Carolina by Saturday.

Smith said no serious problems were reported from the rain or wind, which gusted to 40 mph early Friday. Precipitation averaged 2 to 4 inches. About 2 p.m., the center of the storm was southwest of Charlotte.

The wet weather forced postponement of more than a dozen high school football games in central North Carolina. At the Outer Banks, officials posted red warning flags on the beaches to keep people out of rough surf.

Smith said forecasters took the system seriously as it approached the coastline because it had potential to intensify quickly.

Although the center of the storm was well to the south, forecasters said it was so large that rain and some wind would be felt in the Northeast. Small craft advisories, meaning strong winds and choppy seas, were issued from Savannah, Ga., to Maine with high surf advisories in some places.

"Much of the winds have diminished," said meteorologist Dave Loewenthal at the National Weather Service in Wilmington. "It's a very large system. It goes all up and down the eastern seaboard."

The full story . . .

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 09-26-2008 07:04 PM

Glad to hear your doing ok Joanie, I am off to eat some rocky road ice cream now, just to be on the safe side :p

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 09-26-2008 07:21 PM

Take care Joanie, and Linda. All we've had from Not-Quite-Tropical-Storm Anonymous so far is nasty drizzling rain, which we can use anyway.
Anchors Aweigh

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”