Winter in Europe

Moderator: Super Moderators

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 05-27-2002 12:26 AM

Eliza_Nightvoice: Did I hear that there is going to be a run on the banks now? Ooooooooooops! A bank holiday, with all the bank's doors locked tight for one week?

I think that that did happen once upon a time when rumors could be engineered by some groups somewhere. It could NEVER happen now.... surely?

Ninerism

Padi
Pirate

Post by Padi » 05-27-2002 07:11 PM

Hi,
I'm not very near Devon so I wouldn't know i'm afraid! There are lots of tiny farming villages that are fairly cut off down there... I'm in Liverpool which is a city in NW england so its a lot more active where i live! the SW and N England, Wales and most of Scotland are all very rugged and sparcely populated.
LA is generally a pretty dangerous place to live with earthquakes, floods, fires etc! and that smog sounds nasty! The weather although extremely dull is a lot kinder here! I wish we had temp fluctuations like that Eliza, we have such boring weather at the moment Image and again some small villages in that area arent on any maps so i cant help with that!

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-27-2002 10:13 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ninerism:
Eliza_Nightvoice: Did I hear that there is going to be a run on the banks now? Ooooooooooops! A bank holiday, with all the bank's doors locked tight for one week?
Ninerism
</font>
Our British cousins have a verry civilized custom of having 2 holidays a year, just to have a holiday. Each is called a "Bank Holiday". It's so eligantly simple. The banks ARE closed, and everyone has the day off.

Padi
Pirate

Post by Padi » 05-28-2002 10:43 AM

Oh yes i love bank holidays! Our next bank holiday is actually next Monday and its to celebrate the queen's golden jubilee. In fact i think we get 2 days off!! But a normal bank holiday is just one day as you said. Traditionally absolutely everything is closed but nowadays the big supermarkets are open for a couple of hours.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 06-05-2002 11:17 PM

Eliza_Nightvoice: Never heard that one before, and now it is understood. How civil that is, too. Days off are just plain fun to have and know!

Ninerism

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”