Linnea

Ancient supercontinent proposed

Post by Linnea » 03-26-2002 04:45 AM

BBC News Online: Sci/Tech
---------------------------------------------
Monday, 25 March, 2002, 20:58 GMT

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

An ancient supercontinent, far older than anything proposed before, has been pieced together by an international team of geologists.

The giant landmass, which has been dubbed Columbia, would have spread across the face of the Earth more than one and a half billion years ago.

The theory is that it then fragmented into smaller pieces before reassembling into another supercontinent called Rodinia; and, later still, a huge landmass scientists now refer to as Pangea.

The researchers base their conclusions on rocks from India, East Africa and Saudi Arabia. The specimens were collected during a joint Indian and US study of the evolution of southern India.

BBC Article

LisaA
Pirate

Post by LisaA » 03-26-2002 02:44 PM

I can back that up. There's rocks in mountains in one country that are only there in a spot, and only found in that spot, plus another country on the other side of the world. Have any of you heard enough about this to say where they are? I've forgotten. But I saw it on PBS.

Barry
Pirate

Post by Barry » 03-30-2002 09:37 PM

Wow. That is very interesting. I am sorry I missed that, for I love that kind of stuff, (geology). I've always wondered what it would be like to go back in time, in orbit and watch the young earth as it aged observing in fast motion! Ah. A dream. Thanks for the info!
Barry
Chief Engineer
LTC Armstrong

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”