Earthquakes... ?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Post by Guest » 02-05-2002 06:03 PM

LA YERBABUENA, Mexico (Reuters) - Mexico's eastern Colima state was evacuating some 300 villagers from the base of a volcano on Tuesday that was spewing fiery rocks and lava and threatening a larger scale eruption.
more...

I think this one may POP like Mt.St.Helens

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-08-2002 01:11 AM

4.8.. That'll wake ya up.. Ya, it makes the news.. Glad all is well..
Good ride, huh?
YOUR EMAIL BOUCES PLEASE FIX IT or DO NOT subscribe to email notices.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-09-2002 11:59 AM

maryals - sometimes those 4.8 can be bad - its all in how deep underground they are when they happen...or should we say close to the surface.(?)

Post by Guest » 02-09-2002 03:14 PM

Greetings to all,

Updated information...it would appear we slightly understated the strength of Wednesday's quake. Revised strength puts it at 5.1, with a 4.9 secondary jolt. Epicenter was about ten miles away or, for all practical purposes, right underneath us. They broke a few windows around town, knocked some items off shelves, and temporatily knocked out some equipment at the airport. Also, these were fairly shallow, in the ten to twenty mile range if I remember correctly.

Of course it figures we'd get a quake on the morning of my first opportunity to sleep late in weeks. There is something primal about waking up out of a sound sleep to the earth violently moving. The first reaction is to flatten out, lower one's profile, and grab ahold of something so as to hang on. Of course the next reaction is to say "Oh...expletive deleted, this is not the way I'd hoped to start the day".

Rainmaker

------------------
Justice Is Coming

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-09-2002 06:33 PM

Hey Rainmaker..
Yep, never fails.. "No rest for the wicked, they say'.. lol... Sorry, some days are just that way.. Ya think.. oh how wonderful, a day of resting in.. and then the earth moves under your feet.. So they jumped it up the scale, huh.. anything over a 5.+ is a real reality check..
Your probably safe for a few years now, releasing that stress, but it's time to roll the dice again and see where next..

Ya.. and that valcano that's ready to blow.. I'ed be long gone out of that area..

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-09-2002 07:37 PM

Rainmaker - I understand that feeling of being on moving ground since that 6.9 shaker in Seattle last year about this time. It seemed to go on and on and on. Being on 3rd floor of an office bldg was not a good feeling either.

After a while I must admit, I began having visions of falling through the collapsing floors, with the debris falling down on me. Ouch! I started to believe that would be the result - and my fate! Very scary.

As for live volcanoes - yikes, Jeri - I live 50 miles from Mt Rainier. I remember the day Mt St Helens blew. There was no quaking of the earth, and in Seattle we did not get any of the airborne ash that exploded out of the mountain, due to prevailing winds. I had just moved to Seattle from the midwest - about 5 weeks before it blew. Hope the eruption of Mt Rainier does not become a 'bookend' for me here! lol!

Yes! Other locales begin to look more attractive all the time...Or, just having a caravan way of life with a couple pied de terres or oases here and there!

And we would always be able to keep in touch!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-10-2002 10:57 AM

Rainmaker -- ya 5.1 and shallow does not sound all that good, and fits in with my 'prediction scale' and time line.

--
heavy volcanic activity along pacific rim is making problems too. They also say that El Nino is heating up. Of course they haven't really been studying El Nino, La Nina long enough to obtain better stats so it could be righton schedule -- dunno.

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-11-2002 07:58 PM

Guess i'll put this article here...

When The Earth Dried Out
University Of California - Davis www.ucdavis.edu ScienceDaily.com
2-11-2

About a billion years ago, the continents emerged relatively suddenly from an ocean that covered 95 percent of the Earth's surface, according to a new theory by Eldridge Moores, a geologist at the University of California, Davis. The appearance of large masses of dry land would have caused more extreme weather, changes in ocean currents and the emergence of proper seasons. In turn, these environmental changes may have led to rise in atmospheric oxygen that enabled the explosion of new life forms around 500 million years ago.

Since the 1960s, geologists have accepted that the continents sit on tectonic plates floating above a layer of hot, partly molten rock. Between the continental plates, the crust of the ocean floor is continually created or pushed under and destroyed as the plates drift around and bump into each other. The crust of the modern ocean floor is much thinner than that below the continents.

In the early Earth, the ocean crust and the continental crust were much closer together in thickness, Moores said. That means that the difference between the height of the ocean floor and the height of the continents was much less. The oceans would have been much shallower, and the water would therefore have spread much further across the continents -- covering 90 to 95 percent of the planet's surface, instead of the present 70 percent.

Many geologists agree with this scenario, Moores said. What is controversial is how quickly the Earth changed from a planet covered in water with a few mountainous islands to one with large continental landmasses. According to Moores' theory, the continents emerged quite suddenly, over about 200 million years, at the same time that the supercontinent Rodinia was forming.

Moores' theory, published in the January issue of the Geological Society of America Bulletin, also implies that over time, the way plate tectonics works has changed.

The period around 800 million years ago is also important for the evolution of life. Complex, multicellular plants and animals, including the precursors of all the major groups of animals found today, appear at the beginning of the Cambrian era around 550 million years ago. That suggests that something, perhaps a drastic change in the environment, triggered a burst of evolutionary activity.

To reach his conclusions, Moores studies rocks called ophiolites. Ophiolites are remnants of ocean crust that are preserved in continents when plates move. Unfortunately, many of the world's most interesting ophiolites are located in areas that are remote and inaccessible due to geography or politics, such as central Africa.

Moores' theories also have implications for studying other planets, such as Mars, where plate tectonics seems to have started but then stopped. Venus is thought to have active volcanoes and wrinkled, broken crust, but does not seem to have tectonic plates in the same way that the Earth does. The crust of Venus might be more like the early Earth, with all the crust about the same thickness. A crucial difference between the Earth and Venus might be the presence of water on Earth, which could help to "lubricate" the continental plates, Moores said.

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by University Of California - Davis for journalists and other members of the public. If you wish to quote from any part of this story, please credit University Of California - Davis as the original source. You may also wish to include the following link in any citation:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 075438.htm

Post by Guest » 02-15-2002 11:32 PM

Greetings to all,

Another quake yesterday, a 4.0, 40 miles south of Anchorage, just 6 miles deep. Maryals felt it while at work, I did not. Still, that is the third quake in less than ten days. The joint is jumping...

Rainmaker

------------------
Justice Is Coming

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-15-2002 11:41 PM

Hello Rainmaker...
Seems your sittin' on shakey ground..
Did you listen to Art last night while he had Jim Berkland on.. Talking about a window of possible quakes around Feb. 26th thru March 3? Big Bad full moon will be rising..

alaskandevil
Pirate

Post by alaskandevil » 02-16-2002 05:04 AM

quite a few earthquakes up here that we really never hear about.

http://www.giseis.alaska.edu/Seis/html_ ... y_map.html

Alaska Earthquake Information Center Seismicity Report for 1/28-2/3

looks like they plotted about 180 of them.

------------------

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software."

"We are the people your parents warned you about"
J. Buffett
" Edited for Political Correctness "

ElKamino
Dark Enity

Post by ElKamino » 02-16-2002 05:21 AM

The shake, rattle, and roll for the fifteenth of February, 2002:
2135 hours UTC 4.8 magnatude
Off the coast of Kamchatka
And the hits just keep on comin'...

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 02-16-2002 05:29 AM

Wowzz'
Go to the desert above the dam... Hoover dam.. or Parhrump!

Seriously.. that looks kinda scary...

They just got to stop plumbing all the oil out of mother earth.
~~~

[This message has been edited by jeri sexton (edited 20 February 2002).]

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-16-2002 11:30 AM

pacific rim areas are hot (well for quakes this time of year) look over mediterranean way too - they've had their share as well. Still no super major 6+++ types thank goodness...not that lesser ones are good, but the big ones are disastrous!

alaskandevil
Pirate

Post by alaskandevil » 02-18-2002 11:38 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cherry Kelly:
pacific rim areas are hot (well for quakes this time of year) look over mediterranean way too - they've had their share as well. Still no super major 6+++ types thank goodness...not that lesser ones are good, but the big ones are disastrous! </font>

I would rather have all the little ones rather than one biggie...

Maryls...I think I will look into the volcanoe angle....since I see Redoubt and Illiamna evry morning when I get up...

------------------

"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION. It comes bundled with the software."

"We are the people your parents warned you about"
J. Buffett
" Edited for Political Correctness "

Return to “Earth/ Weather/ Climate”