Losing Weight

Health, bio-technology

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 02-09-2014 06:40 PM

Fan wrote: Going well so far, in the past 2 weeks my body fat percentage has gone down by 6.5%. My weight has stayed almost the same, but of course this is the problem with only measuring weight. You think you are not losing "Weight" when in fact you are replacing fat with muscle.

You know how you have really lost fat weight? By how your clothes are fitting.

If you have to tighten your belt or your favorite shirt seems looser you are losing fat weight.

Lean muscle mass is much denser than fat so if you are replacing fat loss weight with muscle mass weight everything should fit better or looser.

It takes a while to lose weight and good luck in your endeavour. If you ersist you will succeed.

If you have lost 15 lbs. so far you are doing well.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-09-2014 06:47 PM

My scale measures body fat percentage so I get a pretty accurate picture.

My belt is on the last hole. Need to buy some new clothes soon :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 02-10-2014 03:42 PM

Fan wrote: My belt is on the last hole. Need to buy some new clothes soon :)
Or maybe an awl? :D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-10-2014 04:16 PM

SquidInk wrote: Or maybe an awl? :D

It awl will go to some huge guy somewhere via a charity eventually. I actually know a semi-homeless 50 year old mentally ill guy who is my size that I set up with an entire winter wardrobe this year which he is able to store at a friend's place. He was SO HAPPY to have warm clothes. He had apparently never owned a "hoodie" sweatshirt and thanked me at least 5 times for it.

To me it is all part of the renewal process I want to go through. I don't know why really, but I need goals like this to motivate me. I am still figuring out why I am doing this all, other than the obvious health reasons... I feel like I had a revelation, which is strange for me as well. I thought I knew who I was, and that my body size was an intrinsic part of that self-awareness. I am learning this is not necessarily so. I am getting flashbacks to when I used to work out regularly, and awakening dim memories of how it felt and why I was doing it back then. I had a back injury when I was 19 and gave it all up, and that is how I got where I am today.

I feel like I started this journey a few years ago when I got more serious about cooking and nutrition. I was therefore already eating well, so I am not tempted by restaurant food or treats. I completely satisfy myself with my food (not saying I am an amazing chef, but I know what I like and how to make it). I think this is one of the hardest things for people who are out on the road or have daily routines. I used to go grab burgers and fast food all the time, but the thought of it doesn't tempt me at all any more. I know in my fridge I have the makings of an amazing meal that will be lower calorie and more tasty than anything even very good restaurants can make.

Speaking of treats last night I had 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt mixed with a teaspoon of almond butter and a half teaspoon of natural honey as a bedtime snack. Greek yogurt contains creatine, which is a slow releasing protein that helps rebuild muscle tissue. The whole bowl was about 150 calories (with 9g of protein), plus all the goodness that comes from these foods. Completely guilt-free and made me think how can you miss ice cream if you have this?

I also have taken a break from drinking alcohol. I set a goal of one month with none. So far 2 weeks in and other than being a little more bored at night it is OK :)
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 02-10-2014 04:18 PM

Going to toss this in as it has some interesting ideas for healthy muscle building meals http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=recipes

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-15-2014 02:21 AM

I am actually gaining weight now. It is dis-motivating, but I know it is muscle. I am doing weights 4x/wk and cardio 4-5x/wk for almost 8 wks. Weight does not equal fat (he tell himself).

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-18-2014 01:35 PM

Hi Everybody!
I've had a broken computer and didn't bother to repair until recently.

While I missed it passionately and went through "withdrawals" it hasn't been a bad thing, both emotionally and physically.

I just had my 6th month check-up from being put on a type 2 diabetes drug. As of yesterday blood sugar very good and have lost 11 lbs I have been pretty active,(bored from no computer). But I really think that my weight loss wasn't fat, it was muscle. One, from the long winter and two, I'm getting older and they never tell you all the wonderful things that go "away" with just age it's self! I eat well, good stuff, no boxed stuff. And very rarely eat out. Man! there is sugar and crap in everything pre-packaged. 2 areas I have trouble with, 1. portion control 2. Chocolate!!, but, I try hard!

Fan it sounds like you are doing very well. Guys have it over the ladies it seems when losing weight. You are right about muscle weighing more, I had my fat "calibrated" about 20 years ago and was as close to solid muscle as I could get, prime shape, and did not weigh much less than I do now. I'm built just like my uncles on both sides of the family, short, larger boned, just like the "peasants" they where. My sister is the same, while my half sister is short, but very fine boned and "Dainty", no one has ever accused me of being "Dainty", Physically or otherwise. :(
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-19-2014 08:05 AM

Ach go ahead and eat chocolate, just choose dark choco with as little added sugar as possible. It is good for you!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-27-2014 05:10 PM

Just back from a 5km walk. 10 min/km pace. Burned about 520 cals. My weight is stubbornly holding steady, but I feel good, so that is what counts right now.

I am entered into a mini-marathon 5km walk this summer. Never done anything like it, and have not participated in any sort of sport for decades. Going to "train" for it and try to improve my 5km times every time I go out. Using mapmyrun on android to track everything.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-27-2014 08:20 PM

Fan wrote: Just back from a 5km walk. 10 min/km pace. Burned about 520 cals. My weight is stubbornly holding steady, but I feel good, so that is what counts right now.

I am entered into a mini-marathon 5km walk this summer. Never done anything like it, and have not participated in any sort of sport for decades. Going to "train" for it and try to improve my 5km times every time I go out. Using mapmyrun on android to track everything.

Good for you Fan! I admire your stick-to-it-iveness. Reading your posts are motivating. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-30-2014 11:38 PM

Had a few comments about my physique lately. I don't work out specifically for them, but they feel good. I encourage you to tell someone you know who is trying to get in shape that they are looking great.

I have been weightlifting quite intensely. 9000 lbs last session in just over 10 minutes of actual lifting time (a 30 minute workout, I stretch between each set while waiting 60 seconds for the muscles to recover). I am 40 but I feel like I am younger. My recovery time has now gotten to be only a day or so, I work out heavy 4 days in a row most weeks and although I am sore I can still mostly get around. Anyone who has done bodybuilding knows what I mean, it is a good hurt. You hurt because your muscles are pumped, not because something is wrong.

My weight is down 10lbs in the last 30 days and moreover my body fat percentage is down another 5%. Need to take another progress pic soon :)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-01-2014 09:31 AM

Fan,

My hat is off to you - this takes such discipline and strength.
A man's character is his fate

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-14-2014 04:10 PM

Little update:

I have (since July) been progressing through the http://www.stronglifts.com progression, doing essentially powerlifting movements (squats, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows and deadlifts). I hit a milestone 2 weeks ago where I am now squatting and deadlifting the equivalent of my body weight (5 sets of 5 reps). This is no big deal for younger/experienced lifters, but it officially makes me no longer "untrained" level, but a "novice". :) I work out 3 times a week and I need the rest days now, the lifts are very challenging. I don't look very different, but my strength has increased massively overall, and my bad back has not bothered me in a long time now.

I have changed diets as well and am now following a Ketogenic diet, which is essentially no carbs. It is extreme in some people's eyes but I have done my research and am quite happy with it so far. Bacon galore!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Well im glad its working out good for you Fan!!

Post by Dude111 » 10-15-2014 06:01 PM

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-17-2014 03:18 PM

fan -- sounds like you are doing very good!! Keep it up.

===
something a lot of people can do - who are sitting at their desk so many hours....
tighten the tush - hold and breathe -- and if you have a clock on puter screen - wait a minute - let go, loosen one minute and repeat five times...

now if you can stand up at your desk and continue to work - all the better...

====
The hardest time for me is winter when I am indoors and not out working in the yard and garden, so I started the 'desk' routine and kept off the weight I had lost during the spring>fall working more outdoors.

:)

Return to “Health”