Linnea

Oh oh...the Lizards are coming!

Post by Linnea » 05-15-2003 09:45 AM

What IS it! What does it mean!!!

Lizard Head Found in Salad

AP - Feature Stories

Lizard Head Found in Salad Tests Negative
Mon May 12,10:51 AM ET

CORALVILLE, Iowa - A lizard head found in a carry-out salad from a restaurant in this eastern Iowa city has tested negative for salmonella, a bacteria that causes food poisoning.

The lizard head was found May 2 in a Santa Fe Chicken Salad prepared at Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar.

Kot Flora, an assistant director at the Johnson County Public Health Department, said Friday that preliminary results showed no presence of salmonella. Final results are expected Monday.

A complaint was filed with the health department by John Hellstein after his wife discovered the lizard head in a salad she ordered for lunch.

"Obviously, she was upset," said Hellstein, a University of Iowa professor of dentistry. "I don't expect she will be eating Santa Fe salads anytime soon."

Apple Corp. LP, the owner of the Applebee's restaurant, issued a statement Friday. In it, the corporation apologized and said it had confirmed it was an isolated incident. The restaurant is now using pre-cut, pre-cleaned lettuce for its salads, the statement said.

Flora said Applebee's is considered a good operator by the health department.

"We think this was just an unfortunate fluke," Flora said.

Hellstein agrees.

"I worked in produce for seven years, and I've seen lots of things crawl out of lots of things."

Applebees: http://www.applebees.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a fluke. Aiiiiieeeeeee!
:eek:
Last edited by Linnea on 05-15-2003 09:48 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 05-15-2003 10:02 AM

It sounds like this poor little lizard crawled into a lettuce crate totally losing his head.

Don't misjudge my warped sense of humor as I had a huge pet Iguana for years who I dearly loved. Yes, they are known to be carriers of Salmonellesis. They also enjoy eating lettuce, avocados, canned dog food, flies etc, etc. (I don't recommend feeding canned dog food as it lacks in nutrition)

Mark
Pirate

Post by Mark » 05-15-2003 11:46 PM

"Lizard head found in salad "...?

Aw shucks , now everybody is gonna want one in THEIR salad , too !

Image :)

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 05-20-2003 12:45 AM

"Waiter, what's this lizard's head doing in my salad?"
"It would appear to be doing a Marie Antionette impression."
:D

If you ask me, it sounds like a "drop"; a scam in which a roach, worm, clump of hair, or anything else disgusting is dumped into restaraunt food by a decieving customer, in an attempt to get a free meal, compensation, cry for attention, etc.

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 05-20-2003 05:52 PM

Sushi!

Now that will be an additional $15 for the salad.

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 05-23-2003 02:41 AM

...maybe the cook used to work in a bait shop...

Return to “Weird Nooz”