Mac Tonnies Dies

Ancient archaeology, star gates, the Mars connection, searching for lost Atlantis, evidence of ancient catastrophies, underwater cities...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Swerdloc
Pirate

Mac Tonnies Dies

Post by Swerdloc » 10-23-2009 09:41 AM

Peter Gersten has just sent out an email saying that Mac Tonnies, author of the blog Posthuman Blues and book 'After the Martian Apocalypse,' has died at a very young age - allegedly from natural causes.
Anchors Aweigh

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-23-2009 10:25 AM

Sorry to hear this, there is no announcement on his web site yet.

Biographical sketch:

I'm a Kansas City, Missouri-based author and essayist. I blog daily at Posthuman Blues and tweet religiously. My latest book is After the Martian Apocalypse (Paraview Pocket Books, 2004), a speculative and generally well-received examination of extraterrestrial intelligence on the Red Planet. I'm presently at work on a new non-fiction book titled The Cryptoterrestrials: Indigenous Humanoids and the Aliens Among Us, excerpts of which I've posted on my blog. If you're in the mood for a multiplex Fortean anthology, my essay "The Ancients Are Watching" is included in 2008's Darklore Vol. II. (My first book, Illumined Black, is a collection of naively "Blade Runner"-ish science fiction short-stories. It can still be found in used-book stores and on Amazon.com.)

http://www.mactonnies.com/bio.html

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-23-2009 10:28 AM

Last edited by Shirleypal on 10-23-2009 10:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Mac Tonnies Dies

Post by racehorse » 10-23-2009 11:24 AM

Very sad and tragic news. :(
racehorse

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-23-2009 11:34 AM

I knew he was young but not that young, very sad indeed, at 34 years old your life is just beginning, he has accomplished a lot for the short time her was here..

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 10-23-2009 04:42 PM

Listening to Mac's last interview on C2C, 28 September 2009: this was an enormously talented and perceptive guy. The UFO, Mars research, and Fortean communities have lost a gem.
Anchors Aweigh

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-23-2009 04:45 PM

Swerdloc he did any interview on theparacast.com on 10-26-08 which is still available for download.....

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-23-2009 04:47 PM

Here's what Jeremy Vaeni of Paratopia and UFO Magazine had to say this morning:

Rest In Peace, Mac Tonnies
At age 34, writer, Fortean thinker, and all around decent human being Mac Tonnies has passed away. Mac is best known in ufology as a proponent of the cryptoterrestrial theory--that is, the theory that the intelligences we call "aliens" or "visitors" are neither. They live along side of us pretending to be those things, camouflaging themselves in our expectations and surviving the human advancement.

I always liked Mac. I won't say we were great friends but I'll bet we would have been if we'd lived closer to each other. He always struck me as a fish out of water: sharp guy into alternative things struggling to get by with a crap job in a small town. I urged him to move to New York where he'd be appreciated but he just didn't have the funds. (I also practically begged him to write for UFO Magazine until he thankfully caved!)

His untimely death is that jarring reminder of all our mortality but to me it's something else too. Mac had just completed his new book. He'd just gone on Coast To Coast for the first time. He earned the respect of those who paid attention to his work and was on his way to breaking out of obscurity. For the public at large, that would have meant a refreshing, intellectually honest and level voice in a field where such is nearly extinct. For Mac, that might have meant an end to the financial struggle and the personal struggle to be heard above the droning noise churning from the stagnant minds around him.

New directions for him. New directions for us. Greater freedom for all.

Gone.

Gone but not forgotten. Remembered for what he gave us. Remembered for where he was bringing us. His is the story of a man with his whole future ahead of him and not distantly so. No, right at his fingertips, actually. He was an artistic thinker, arguably poetic, and this is the fitting ending to that general story, tragic though it is for those of us who knew and appreciated Mac and for those who loved him.

On that note, my heartfelt condolensces to Mac's family and his good friends, Greg Bishop and Paul Kimball. Mac has passed into that good night but you know better than the rest of us he was a man with a flashlight. Wherever he is now, take comfort that he's doing just fine.

Love ya, Mac. Rest well.
http://ufomagazine.squarespace.com/ufo- ... ent5987088

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 11-03-2009 09:59 AM

Excellent tribute interview on the paracast dot com
Apparently Mac had a heart problem and passed away in his sleep..

This week, we remember the late Mac Tonnies, author, futurist and Fortean, with a special tribute episode featuring his close friends and colleagues, including Greg Bishop, Patrick Huyghe, Paul Kimball and Nicholas Redfern.
Interview ready for download
http://www.theparacast.com/show-archives/

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 11-03-2009 10:25 AM

Thanks, Shirley. I had been wondering what caused his death, and hadn't seen any news.
Anchors Aweigh

Return to “Ancient Archaeology”