Bipedal Humans Came Down From The Trees, Not Up From The Gro

Ancient archaeology, star gates, the Mars connection, searching for lost Atlantis, evidence of ancient catastrophies, underwater cities...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Bipedal Humans Came Down From The Trees, Not Up From The Gro

Post by Shirleypal » 08-15-2009 06:28 PM

August 11, 2009
A detailed examination of the wrist bones of several primate species challenges the notion that humans evolved their two-legged upright walking style from a knuckle-walking ancestor.

The same lines of evidence also suggest that knuckle-walking evolved at least two different times, making gorillas distinct from chimpanzees and bonobos.

"We have the most robust data I've ever seen on this topic," said Daniel Schmitt, a Duke University associate professor of evolutionary anthropology. "This model should cause everyone to re-evaluate what they've said before.".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 162005.htm

Tracy Kivell relates how bones suggest human ancestors never knuckle-walked, while chimpanzees and gorillas evolved trait separately. (Credit: Duke University)

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-17-2011 12:46 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_ape_hypothesis

The OP reminded me of Aquatic Ape Theory, which I read about in a book whose name I cannot remember... maybe it was "The Descent of Woman'
( http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Woman-Cla ... 0285627007 ).
The AAH suggests that many of the features that distinguish humans from their nearest evolutionary relatives can be explained through a period of aquatic adaptation in which protohumans spent time wading, swimming and feeding on the shores of fresh, brackish or saline waters (though there has been disagreement and modification of the theory regarding the salinity of the purported watery environment[11][12][13]) and suggests comparisons with other aquatic or semiaquatic species with similar characteristics. Some observations include:

Bipedalism out of water causes considerable problems for the back, knees and organs, while water would support the joints and torso and permit breathing

Humans are relatively hairless compared to great apes, similar to the hairlessness of land-dwelling rhinoceros and elephant, which both have aquatic ancestors; what body hair humans do have also follows water flow-lines

Increased subcutaneous fat for insulation, especially in human infants

A descended larynx

A hooded nose, muscular nostril aperture control and the philtrum preventing water from entering the nostrils

Extensive coverage of the skin by sebaceous glands

The requirement of the human brain for certain nutrients, including iodine and some essential fatty acids which are most easily found and absorbed in seafood

Voluntary breath control which allows diving and swimming, and a more streamlined shape compared to other apes

The mammalian diving reflex, which occurs when the head is immersed in cold water

Vestigial webbing between the fingers

The waxy coating found on newborns

Certain morphological adaptations within the kidney
Last edited by SquidInk on 11-17-2011 12:53 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

bobbo
Banned

It hurts to remember real hard

Post by bobbo » 11-17-2011 02:45 AM

probably more than 3-4 references but I read about it in The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris. The body of evidence is right before you. We'll never know. Fun to think about. On par with do Angels have Bellybuttons. Omphaloskepsis.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-17-2011 07:30 PM

So bobbo - help a knucklehead (me) to understand...

You believe this kind of anthropology, albeit somewhat 'alternative, is 'on par' with meditations of the naval?
Last edited by SquidInk on 11-17-2011 08:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo
Banned

We think with words.

Post by bobbo » 11-17-2011 07:38 PM

Well, the Naked Ape is all about simply observing one's body, hair patterns and what not--the whole list you posted. The naval is part of one's body that is observable and we can just simply move out from there?

Useful blogworthy word for anything in human biology or other exegesis.

Besides, I try to use every word I know at least every ten years. I'm good now until the wave of food riots hits our major cities.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-17-2011 07:52 PM

Fair enough

But isn't there a kind of frivolous connotation associated with 'contemplating one's naval' - maybe something that we don't necessarily want to ascribe to Morgan or, say, Thor Heyerdahl - two people who, like the subject of the OP, spent considerable (and serious) time & effort trying to broaden all of our horizons?
Last edited by SquidInk on 11-17-2011 08:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

bobbo
Banned

Post by bobbo » 11-17-2011 08:01 PM

Yes, there is a frivolous connotation outside of meditation circles. Anything to increase the Alpha Waves. In that sense, it is a stand in for peace and comfort, joy in the simple things, those things that are available to us all. Looking within ourselves.

We all find our own way in these things, expressly or unconsciously. I look within myself, but never at my naval. Maybe elsewhere?

Return to “Ancient Archaeology”