Let's get to crunching!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-08-2003 01:44 PM

Hmm.. went to the SETI@Home site and did a lot of roaming around - for a good while. I finally decided to create a user profile. When I was through and hit submit... nothing. Dead.

From the way people talk this happens a lot?? No biggie, I'll just do it later. But I am wondering about the frequency of outages that they apparently experience on the site. How have they managed to keep it going for so long if this happens on a regular basis?

Not ranting... really. Just wondering? Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-08-2003 02:55 PM

Doug, I checked early this morning and there were no 'scheduled' outages noted. I just tried to get on and read the latest newsletter, but couldn't get there at all. I have no idea what is going on. There seem to be more snafus lately than I remember in the past. It does get discouraging.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-08-2003 04:27 PM

I can't get on to send my WUs and get some more - waaaaaaaah!

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-08-2003 05:04 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linnea:
I can't get on to send my WUs and get some more - waaaaaaaah!</font>
I have a couple extras Linnea... I'll share Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 02-08-2003 07:45 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
lrs, here's the place to download the program and sign up. It will be great to have you. If you need any help, shout out.

http://www.fantasticforum.com/seti_team/seti.html

There's also a link at the top of this page. Anyone else want to join in? At least go to the link and look around before you decide. Image

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 08 February 2003).]
</font>

Awesome Gwen!!! Thank YOU. I have a secret mission to keep that link alive (by incessantly reactivating this thread), in case there are others who wish to join (and I suspect there are many).

Again, I thank you for all this, Gwen. I hope in some small way, I can help you guys. Bless.

P.S. I probably will have to shout out for help. Hope you're ready!!! Image

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 02-09-2003 01:31 AM

DougB~

Sorry about the message that I posted in the other thread here that seems to have disillusioned everyone. I will keep my personal opinions to myself from now on Image

I'm still here to help. Yes, I read your second post after reading the first one with all the questions and it looks like you are running but just in case, here is a link that shows you how to set up SETISpy, SETI Driver and the client version:
http://www.setisynergy.com/info/setup-c ... driver.php

It's been very helpful to me in the past. However, I don't use SETISpy anymore because I want as little running as is absolutely necessary.

The good thing about SETI Driver is that it caches workunits for you. SETISpy doesn't.

But, if you have both of these front-ends they were built to work together and the only one you need to open is SETISpy. It will open Driver and the client for you. That is, after you get it set up.

Let me know if you see any more problems.

Mark

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 02-10-2003 08:50 PM

The bulb isn't lit! And it is my personal mission to see to it that the bulb stays lit.

Thanks, guys. Please keep postin'.

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-11-2003 12:50 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lrs:
The bulb isn't lit! And it is my personal mission to see to it that the bulb stays lit.

Thanks, guys. Please keep postin'.
</font>
Sorry... I thought we were supposed to turn the light off when we left.

It is nice seeing some activity here, though. For the record, I've found the fastest I can crunch without doing anything hyperscientific is to run the command line version of SETI@ and seti driver. I cache four WU's for those times like right about now when I can't connect to the server.

Someday, maybe when this effort ends... as it has threatened to do a time or two... I still plan to hop on some distributed processing project. It is too cool knowing my computer is doing something useful when I'm not, which is most of the time.

I'll.... just leave the light on, then.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-11-2003 10:35 AM

Come on lrs - I'm not seeing your name in the chart with the rest of the team members! You woke the place from it's slumber, and now we could use you on the team! Image

Right Gwen?? Image

Well - I've got mine set at 5 caches - always working 1 and have 4 to spare. Thought that might be a bit many at first, but with the way the server works most of the time, I feel that's about right.

I filled out my user profile @ SETI - something I see that no one else on the team has done. How come? Tha's something I'd like to see. Let's get our team personalized a little bit. Image

And come on lrs... jump in with both feet! Image

PS - Mark- Thanks for the answers. I've got everything running pretty smoothly now.

Current Stats as of this posting:

[TAB]01) Embustero...............5502
02) Bill....................2827
03) robin preston...........1824
04) BenSlain................1334
05) Carlos Guerrero Amieva..1014
06) suvata...................853
07) Gwen.....................795
08) Linn7....................689
09) jaf......................680
10) Rapa.....................524
11) martyjg..................467
12) sufi.....................313
13) johnny appleseed.........278
14) Revisedcode..............252
15) darkman..................126
16) daboodaddy................78
17) Mike......................72
18) TJ........................35
19) Butch.....................32
20) Doug Bouck................17
21) Texas_Goofball............13
22) webrad98..................12
23) Bill Tyner.................5
24) FairBecca..................2
25) tony.......................0[/TAB]

Lets go! Image

[This message has been edited by DougBupstateNY (edited 11 February 2003).]
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-11-2003 10:45 AM

That's right, Doug. There have been some problems with Seti@home the past few days..something about a cut fiber during construction and they are still having problems with the Cogent link. I just got a few more WU's in my cache this morning, but it was sooooo slow downloading. Maybe that is the reason lrs hasn't gotten with us yet.

We really need to start doing Kudos again, too. I just haven't had much time..I'm sole caregiver for a sick husband and the demands on my time are great right now, but I will try and do better about posting.(and will try to get a profile up)

Gotta go...keep on crunchin', mateys. Image

Gwen
Pirate

Post by Gwen » 02-11-2003 10:49 AM

Doug, I just read your Seti@home user profile...very nice. Thanks for putting the stats up in your post.

[This message has been edited by Gwen (edited 11 February 2003).]

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-11-2003 11:28 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gwen:
Doug, I just read your Seti@home user profile...very nice. Thanks for putting the stats up in your post.</font>
No problem Gwen. You take care of your husband. That's far more important than SETI@home. Don't worry about not posting enough. I'm quite sure we all understand. I do... I am in the same position with my father.

Keep up the fantastic work! Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 02-11-2003 01:52 PM

Linnea - I see that the UBB code [TAB] [/TAB] doesn't work on this board... Just wondering if you know why? In the extremely unlikely event that you are unfamiliar with this code, check here.

It would allow for the posting things like the above stats table in a fixed font so that it would look... um, better. Image
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

lrs
Pirate

Post by lrs » 02-11-2003 07:59 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DougBupstateNY:
Come on lrs - I'm not seeing your name in the chart with the rest of the team members! You woke the place from it's slumber, and now we could use you on the team! Image

</font>

Sir, I accept the challenge!!! Thank you.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-15-2003 04:14 PM

Ahhhhhh - was able to crunch a few WUs, then seti @home locked me out again! Haven't been able to get back in. Mark TABwebmater says he is now configuring some of his computers to crunch on a new set project. Care to fill us in Mark?

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”