Need for Speed?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Morgan
Pirate

Need for Speed?

Post by Morgan » 05-18-2002 03:02 PM

Well.
I'm not able to put a turbo charger on my stuff... or to burn nitro or anything like that... but I'm trying an experiment to see how the various settings on SetiDriver work.
I'm going to be gone for a week, so I'm shutting down everything except Seti, and honking it up to its highest setting.
Normally, that means I can't do anything else without real jerky performance... but since I'm not going to be doing anything else, this is a good time to try it out. Usually I leave it at the low setting.
So. Fixed wireless connection, good reliable firewall, overkill UPS, and me not here to screw things up... lessee if my WU rate goes up.
My average right now is 12hrs 50 some odd minutes, and at last check I had 1769 WU's in the can.

I'm not sure what I'm finding out with this, but it's fun and who knows? Maybe I'll be struck by enlightening.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-19-2002 04:28 AM

Enjoy your holiday, Morgan. We'll keep track of your auto crunching scheme for you. Sounds like a winner.

My system is overtaxed and I am in need of more ram. I think I have some that went bad, as my pc is having severe processing problems. This is why I am not crunching at the moment. Soon as I can get some ram and some back up for my system, hope to get going again.

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 05-19-2002 10:27 AM

RAM helps.
I'd really like to get a faster processor and/or a dedicated machine for this... which seems to me totall irrational. A lot of things I do strike me that way, though.
With our next move, I plan to get my wife a workstation (she finally "got it" and wants a computer).. naturally, it will be faster than mine, and it will be running Seti client in there somewhere. I'll get a new one, too somewhere along in there, same story. I'm going to turn the computer I have now into a server and network 'em. So I'll be running three clients.
I'm not sure why. The only application I have where speed matters at all to me is seti. Given the number of people crunching, and the odds of finding anything, and the lottery like chances of any material gain from this... the small increase in WU's I'll get from doing all of that is really close to zero. Fortunatelyy, I gave up on worrying about logic and rational thought years ago.

Meanwhile, squeezing another WU or two out of my machine reminds me of trying to hot rod a car while I was in high school...I guess it's the joy of tweaking or something.

Things are on your side, though... RAM is still pretty cheap and gives more bang for the buck than just about anything you can do to one of these magic boxes.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 05-26-2002 02:20 PM

Well, all that tap-dancin' cut my average WU time down by an entire 3 seconds. I think, since while all that blazing speed is going on I can't do anything else, I'll just put the brakes back on and slow on down. I hate to lose those three seconds (out of just under 13 hours) but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Crap.

This probably means I have to spend money on something to speed this sucker up, right?

Crap.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Return to “FANTASTIC FORUM ~ SETi Team”