Garden Time Coming

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-20-2012 04:46 PM

Well I have been embarassed to post because all of my tomato plants had to be taken out.

They were looking like death on a vine - took all of the tomatoes off and pulled the plants out.

The sprinklers were not properly reaching where they should have and they just have to be tied up better.

I ami n a very poopy mood because of this.:eek:
A man's character is his fate

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-21-2012 09:17 AM

Diogenes - we do live and learn by mistakes in gardens. YES I too need better tying up or should I say buy more posts to tie up the over-the-top ropes to attach the tomato baskets better. Thought I had that taken care of this year - but the plants here got bigger and heavier than usual so did have a few that required more stakes being added.

As noted - we had thought of pulling plants as they did look ick - dead leaves - and as also noted I saw flowering...so did NOT pull them. AND yes they are producing. How much longer - dunno, but as long as they are - they can stay!

---
With new pepper plants this yr, also discovered that two types need to be planted differently next year. They prefer a lot more sunshine so will have to do a north-south row with them...and allow more room. They are HUGE! (tall and spread out)

MAKE sure you write good notes so you can make adjustments to next years growing season. :)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 09-22-2012 11:18 AM

OK I am now done pouting.

I will make sure next year I put those stakes up early. I drive by the tomato fields near my home and they all look so clean and efficient.

My husband pulled them out while they looked as you described yours and I know we could have gone a bit longer. I had thought of planting new plants as in California you can get away with that but haven't done so as yet.

Gardening is an adventure and no matter how long one has gardened you always seem to learn something.

Yes good notes matter.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 09-25-2012 10:03 AM

My leaf lettuce is up in the cold frame - and spinach leaf has now been planted...

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2013 02:22 PM

Well here we are Cherry Kelly and All. I'm itching to grow something! I want to grow some brussel sprouts and broccoli this year . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-27-2013 02:25 PM

Was just thinking about this thread.

I am committed this year to doing the right thing in terms of staking my tomatoes. I feel I have tried everything except the right way to do it. :(

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-27-2013 08:44 PM

Hey Dio, I bet you have the best "caged" tomatoes in the country!:)

I am determined to only plant 1 type of squash plant!!! Over in the corner, next to the neighbors.:D

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-27-2013 10:08 PM

Doka, that's good about the squash - and could say the same about the Zucchini I bet.

My garden was a bust last year and I'm determined to do better this year.

Some things planted way too close and then those ((&^$%$$ stupid ineffective cages.:(

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-28-2013 10:56 AM

YES -- Garden time is coming -- with all this up and down temp problem going on have not been doing more than getting seeds ready.

http://www.kayceedot.magnets4yourhealth ... lbum&id=33

There are pix from last years garden. Shown by dates - lot of peppers and tomatoes mainly shown here. During one time period you can see daily pickings of tomatoes - some days over 100 a day.

Others such as zucchini, onions, corn, beans and squash not shown nor a few others that were grown.

Our climate is not good for Brussels sprouts or broccoli.

Tomatoes were staked and some of the peppers. Some peppers had to have thin screening over top areas due to the heat. You can also see the watering system in the pix.

Hot pepper seeds will be started hopefully later this week as they are slow to germinate (6-8 weeks) with another 6-8 weeks to grow big enough to plant.

Staking plants works well for some. For tomatoes we had tall stakes at end of rows and some rows with middle stakes - rope across the top and the mental baskets tied to the ropes. Last year was exceptional in producing tomatoes so this year - more stakes will be added to keep the baskets upright.

Enjoy the pix! Will get back to more gardening later.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-28-2013 11:58 AM

CK really beautiful produce - all this time I wonderred if you really knew what you were speaking of.:D :D :D

Jut kidding pal - yu are the real deal.;)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 01-28-2013 12:08 PM

What beautiful pictures Cherry! Everything looks great. You do have quite a spread to grow things. And I fuss over "my plot" with great angst! Ha!:) Mmm, I am not sure about our climate being much different than yours, we have cool and extremely hot, nothing in the middle, but I have some shaded areas that might help, may have to re-think this plan of mine. :confused:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

Diogenes, Doka -- glad you enjoyed the pix.
Could say we (hubby and I) were very busy picking and canning, drying peppers. Canning whole tomatoes, tomato juice, making sauce, salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc. Have some of THE best cayenne powder, tobasco powder one could ask for. (dried peppers, got a cheap coffee bean grinder used ONLY for grinding the peppers into powder) Yes we froze sweetcorn, beans and a few other veggies with the vacuum seal ziplock bags.

HINT: now is the perfect time to get canning jars and lids. ALSO get a fine large sieve (round that will fit on top of blender bowl or sauce pan) When doing tomatoes using the sieve allows you to get just the meat of the ripe tomatoes. Then drain off juice for some superb tomato juice....just shake it up a bit first before drinking as it will separate a bit.

We used almost every little end of the year green tomato, cut and quartered in vinegar canning with a garlic of clove (grape leaf optional) and some with peppers for great snacks.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-15-2013 12:44 PM

Started the super hot peppers in seed potting soil. They do require 6-8 weeks to germinate and another 6-8 to grow large enough to be planted. The next hot (medium hot) peppers will be started this next weekend, then two weeks later - the regular mild peppers and tomatoes.

So many people forget to double check germination times and add those days/weeks to the growing time before planting. So be sure to check your seeds for both! :)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 02-23-2013 02:19 PM

ok totally weird...
Been growing hot peppers for a few years.... ones planted on 3rd were the hot hot hot, ones on the 17 were next hottest..

In all the years of doing hot peppers - when they say 6-8 weeks germination - that is usually about right - though have had them sprout in five weeks - but in just under 3 weeks??? This has to be a first... 7 Yatzi peppers are up, a ghost pepper and four others Moruga (hot scorpion type) -- and shaking my head for sure...

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-23-2013 04:28 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: ok totally weird...
Been growing hot peppers for a few years.... ones planted on 3rd were the hot hot hot, ones on the 17 were next hottest..

In all the years of doing hot peppers - when they say 6-8 weeks germination - that is usually about right - though have had them sprout in five weeks - but in just under 3 weeks??? This has to be a first... 7 Yatzi peppers are up, a ghost pepper and four others Moruga (hot scorpion type) -- and shaking my head for sure...

Global Warming:tonguesmi

Return to “Garden & Galley”