Garden Time Coming

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-06-2012 05:22 PM

Been planting all day! So nice working outside, what a great day, sunny, still cool enough not to sweat much.

Got a ton of echinacea in today, morning glory, some grasses that grow 6 feet tall, all sorts of good stuff.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-06-2012 06:26 PM

Fan,

Any particular species of Morning Glory and did you start from seed? How do you keep it from going everywhere or does it just die when the cold sets in?

I've been outside too fertilizing and trimming and sweeping - you know the drill.

Picked some beets so will have those with Tri Tip tonite.
A man's character is his fate

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-07-2012 01:48 AM

Gosh... it took me all these years to learn why no one planted peonies in our backyard, which was surrounded by Black Walnut trees... I guess the grandparents just knew those things, in those days... :( Today we're pretty ignorant.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-07-2012 09:38 AM

Some years ago, I picked up some cheap packages of marigolds and planted them along the driveway side of my yellow portulacas (30-35ft row). They are my area to obtain seeds to use elsewhere. They are the medium tall ones and they have been growing along that row for several years.

Just leave them alone and do not remove the plants in the winter. In spring gather seed pods that have not opened on their own, scatter some in the same area and use the seeds to start others elsewhere (like around squash and other veggie garden areas) - or just shake seeds on the area and wait for the new plants to grow. THEY WILL grow and need to be divided when they get 3-4 inches tall.
---
Everything is planted here except pumpkin seeds that I hope to plant later this week. We had some heavy rain storms over the weekend so the ground is a bit too muddy. They will be planted in the sweet corn rows.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-07-2012 09:45 AM

Diogenes wrote: Fan,

Any particular species of Morning Glory and did you start from seed? How do you keep it from going everywhere or does it just die when the cold sets in?

I've been outside too fertilizing and trimming and sweeping - you know the drill.

Picked some beets so will have those with Tri Tip tonite.

I started from plants since I want to cover as much of the deck as possible... they just die in winter and you rip off the old vines. I love morning glories. I got the plain old "heavenly blue" variety.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 05-07-2012 12:49 PM

oh yes I have that as well and it's climbing up the ugly Sequoia type Pine tree.

I have always wanted to plant the Flying Saucer Morning Glory. The Morning Glory is one of my very favorite plants - so cheerful and will grow no matter the situation.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-09-2012 12:34 PM

OK - one afternoon dividing daffodils that have produced so many bulbs all trying to grow and bloom together - not a good thing - so got 2/3 of the long row divided - still more to do and find places to plant most of them.

Bit "nippy" outside so can't even wear summer clothes, but ehh - minor details when it comes to getting work done when working in gardens - veggies or flowers. Once I get the daffodils (jonquils) divided I'll have to start transplanting some of the multiple marigolds that are now growing.

WORK never done... with gardening!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-11-2012 02:20 PM

FINALLY some rain - June 10-11, 2012...after weeks of no rain or mere drips that dotted the deck.

Green beans need to be picked again, dill has good looking heads, sweet corn with ears, tomatoes with green tomatoes (hope they start to ripen soon), have also eaten leaf lettuce, zucchini, onions and other earlier veggies from the garden. (Oh ya summer squash about ready for picking too!)

bugs bad - dawn,water and oil mix helped a lot! (guess I need to respray after the rain...)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-17-2012 03:09 PM

Cherry Kelly.....You are so far ahead of us in the Pacific Northwest! We have had such cool nights and days. It is just now warming up. I have tomatoes coming on. I stacked some brick around my plants and I do believe that helped with some warmth. My zucchini and other squash are just now blooming their little hearts out. The cucumbers are still kind of just sitting there, but I have hope!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-17-2012 03:26 PM

Pepper plants are about 6" high. But our rainfall has been sort of weird, so I've been tossing a glass of water on them at night. I would expect them to be slightly bigger now.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-18-2012 10:02 PM

Here is another place for Heirloom seeds. I have been very pleased with their seeds and service. The only thing I have at the moment that is from Heirloom seed is hollyhocks, which I love. :)

http://rareseeds.com/

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-19-2012 10:42 AM

YES our gardens are early. The mild winter allowed for earlier planting, thus earlier production for some of the crop.

Some of the peppers are further along than others - in spite of being planted at the same time period. Slower growers? As a lot of the types of peppers are new (even for me) it will be interesting to see how they handle heat which has run about 15-20 degrees higher than 'average' for this area.

Been picking so many yellow summer squash in the last week its bit odd, now to preserve them or some at least. Anxious to try the zucchini pickles as you can eat them in less than a week after preserving so have some in the fridge for a taste test.

ONE thing about squash (zukes and others) keep bug dust handy and look at the base of the plants where certain bugs like to attack.

My tomato plants are very tall and loaded with tomatoes - all still green...thinking about bringing one of the baseball size greens in to fry - :)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-19-2012 01:40 PM

Hi Dio, Did you have a link here for a seed-exchange or am I having another melt-down? :o

Doka

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-19-2012 01:52 PM

Never mind I found it! I did have a melt down:crazyjump

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-19-2012 07:29 PM

Welcome to my world;)

Return to “Garden & Galley”