It is "Official"

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-20-2015 09:00 AM

LeslieV wrote: I agree there and that is what I think he fears the most. If too much free gets out it cuts into the revenue needed to pay the fees for the podcast plus the music fees. He is hell bent on having "his music" and to do that he must pay fees that when he was connected with a big broadcaster they had the license that covered him.

Patreon and kickstarter would have solved this. He gets people to pledge money BEFORE making the show, and they only pay if the show happens. Then he can be assured he will have enough income to pay for streams etc, with no risk to himself.

Lots of tools he should be taking advantage of, I assume he is not aware of them, since most other podcasters use them.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Xooxer
Pirate

Post by Xooxer » 04-20-2015 03:22 PM

In all honesty Art (and I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out), the best solution to #3 is to pirate the damned thing yourself.

If you put it up (without your bumper music, but with your advertisements intact), and ask the pirate community to download from you instead of pirate X, we will download from you instead of the other guy most of the time. If you are the most popular pirated source for your own content, (and you will be, that you can be assured of) you can effectively corner the underground market, which is currently untouchable to many advertisers, since most underground content is stripped of advertisements before uploading.

You can account, then, for these listeners when approaching advertisers, and you can then use this as a bargaining chip with advertisers, and garner more per listener, due to the quality of the audience.

There will still be your stream and subscribers, of course. But if you want to earn money from your content in the age of piracy, you need to sail your own flag out there. Sinking ships gets us all drowned.

~X

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-20-2015 03:32 PM

Xooxer wrote: In all honesty Art (and I know this sounds crazy, but hear me out), the best solution to #3 is to pirate the damned thing yourself.

If you put it up (without your bumper music, but with your advertisements intact), and ask the pirate community to download from you instead of pirate X, we will download from you instead of the other guy most of the time. If you are the most popular pirated source for your own content, (and you will be, that you can be assured of) you can effectively corner the underground market, which is currently untouchable to many advertisers, since most underground content is stripped of advertisements before uploading.

You can account, then, for these listeners when approaching advertisers, and you can then use this as a bargaining chip with advertisers, and garner more per listener, due to the quality of the audience.

There will still be your stream and subscribers, of course. But if you want to earn money from your content in the age of piracy, you need to sail your own flag out there. Sinking ships gets us all drowned.

~X

In other words, start a youtube account and upload your shows the next day. Make them easy to find (they will be #1 in google if you do it right), and monetize them. You win every way, and again, this is standard practice for podcasts.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 04-20-2015 03:43 PM

In other words:

ART, raise the Jolly Roger high on the mast ;) :D

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-21-2015 12:43 AM

Self-piracy: it's simple, elegant. The perfect solution!

The only problem is, will Art go for it, or play it safe -

Will he feel comfortable with one less escape route?

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 04-21-2015 10:27 AM

Riddick wrote: Self-piracy: it's simple, elegant. The perfect solution!
Agree -- this is brilliant. Be the "legit" source, and the "pirate" source. Win/win, like .gov in the "war on drugs".

:grog:
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-21-2015 10:49 AM

The only problem there is that the RIAA does not really like people using their music to engage in piracy :)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 04-21-2015 12:02 PM

Do you think that Art is getting lost in the weeds over his music obsession?

I can only speak for myself, but all those years of listening, he could have played one song, I just wanted to hear Art and his great far out topics and his for the most part great guests. Then again he will be trying to cultivate a whole new generaton of listeners and I really don't what "they" are into? :confused:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Xooxer
Pirate

Post by Xooxer » 04-21-2015 04:00 PM

Fan wrote: The only problem there is that the RIAA does not really like people using their music to engage in piracy :)

I never suggested he keep the bumper music, only the ads. In fact, I suggested the opposite. The RIAA would have no say.
Xooxer wrote: If you put it up (without your bumper music, but with your advertisements intact)
I would listen to Art through cups and string, if I had to. I'm sure we all would. He could simply talk for the whole show, and I would still be glued to my speakers. He is the voice of my curiosity. No other will do. No other even comes close.

~X

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-21-2015 04:07 PM

Xooxer wrote: I never suggested he keep the bumper music, only the ads. In fact, I suggested the opposite. The RIAA would have no say.

I would listen to Art through cups and string, if I had to. I'm sure we all would. He could simply talk for the whole show, and I would still be glued to my speakers. He is the voice of my curiosity. No other will do. No other even comes close.

~X

For sure, just that in order to have his bumper music in any version he is signing a contract with the RIAA. They probably would shy away from him encouraging people to pirate his stuff, whether he asks people to take the no-music one or not.

Either way, this is not piracy, this is voluntary sharing, or free downloads. No one has to steal it from him, he can and should just post it himself the next day.

You want it live and with no ads? Pay for the livestream. By the next day this stream will be ripped and pirated and shared, so in the morning you post the free version on youtube and direct everyone there. They get ads in the video, as well as a youtube pre-roll ad, which he also would make money from.

Don't get me wrong, the "premium" stream will definitely get pirated still, but most people would rather subscribe to his channel and not have to mess around with finding it and downloading it etc...

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 04-21-2015 04:20 PM

In this world ..MONEY' is what makes things happen..
That's just a fact of life.

Art can pass the plate and pick up a lot of subscribers @ $5.00 a month to listen.
The question is.. How many? That is a varible. A constant.. Advertiser's ...

I wonder if we could get an advanced idea 'pre order' ? on how many folks would support Arts' stream..
'Art's Dream Stream'

Like "In the beginning" there was ART'

He needs to be free from all the distractions of running the business.

To free up his mind to create.. The ART of Talk.
As in the past.
To bring it to the NOW' and hopefully to help create a future..

A future where there maybe some hope.

Hope for a better world, instead of the doom we face each day.

I'm just rambling, but I'm sure with the help from his audience, we can find a way...

You pirates have already come up with some great idea's...

I hope Art is listening.

Xooxer
Pirate

Post by Xooxer » 04-21-2015 05:10 PM

Fan wrote: For sure, just that in order to have his bumper music in any version he is signing a contract with the RIAA. They probably would shy away from him encouraging people to pirate his stuff, whether he asks people to take the no-music one or not.
Oh, I see what you mean. Hrm. I suppose it would come down to what is actually stated. What we call it. Like you said, it's not really piracy, though good luck getting them to agree.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”