Art Bell's Non-compete contract has expired

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

maxaman25
Pirate

News From Art

Post by maxaman25 » 12-09-2012 03:50 PM

I sent Art an Email and he responded. Here it is:

Come on Art. When you getting back on the air? It's been long enough. You have work to do!

His response:

"I am really Retired and love it! The show has become sad now and I wish my name was no longer associated with it.

Art"

Nice of him to respond but if anyone is holding out for him to return I think he is really done.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 12-09-2012 04:11 PM

Lol! Thanks for posting. Yeah, I think Art's been gone for awhile now.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-09-2012 06:11 PM

No "never say never", no more beating around the bush? Just "I'm retired and loving it"?

Well, that settles it for me. No more wondering whether Art will return - it'd be nice to have him back with a new show, but sure as shootin' wishin' ain't gonna make it happen.

That said, so far as he keeps on with how he wishes his name wasn't associated with what C2C has become, didn't he say a few months back if Premrad continued to run the SiT shows (which is their right), he was going to exercise HIS right to free speech?

Wonder when Art's gonna let loose with the 'real story' behind his retirements...

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-09-2012 06:32 PM

Golly Gee, waxing nostalgic here. I listened to Art when he first started, said he didn't know what the show would turn out to be and then took a call straight on. And them Dreamland, on the week-ends I think. Always felt like I was missing something, and I was, when I didn't listen. His show, I believe, was responsible for "the opening" of a lot of minds, thinking out of the box in the land of "Endless Possibilities". Life would have been so different with out him in it. I could've closed my mind totally and gone "to sleep" with the rest of them.

Thank You Art!:)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2012 10:30 AM

wow thanks for the detective work maxaman! Welcome to the forum too :)

I never thought Art would come back, but it is nice to have some idea of how he really feels.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-10-2012 11:54 AM

I hear ya. I can appreciate his feelings concerning retirement and wanting to be with his family. And, I echo Doka's sentiment - I think that Art blazed the trail for so many people by giving them a broader audience for their works, and for bringing these works to the attention of what eventually became his millions of fans. We can always hope that he'll come back, although I can see this happening. But, even listening to his old archived shows, there's still a lot that's been revealed that bears revisiting from time to time.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-10-2012 12:01 PM

He's nearly 70 years old, right? I doubt he has the energy to do a regular show anymore. Not that a regular show is necessary these days. With a proper 'social' following, he could release intermittent podcasts (couple a year?) dealing with subjects he finds interesting. Fewer podcasts, the higher the price for and advertisement therein!

Art's bigger problem can be summed up in one word: wingnut. There's many layers to that particular onion.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-10-2012 02:08 PM

SquidInk wrote: He's nearly 70 years old, right? I doubt he has the energy to do a regular show anymore. Not that a regular show is necessary these days. With a proper 'social' following, he could release intermittent podcasts (couple a year?) dealing with subjects he finds interesting. Fewer podcasts, the higher the price for and advertisement therein!

Art's bigger problem can be summed up in one word: wingnut. There's many layers to that particular onion.

I was thinking something similar - less shows, geared towards very specific topics. Could even take a long time to develop and produce and work it into his schedule. But, in the end, he has to be happy......

HB3

Post by HB3 » 12-10-2012 03:44 PM

Oh, I just don't think Art gives a ****, honestly. I think his fans care a lot more than he does.

And I can't blame him. He saw "the scene" much more up close and personal than most. He probably became acutely aware of how dishonest and shady it is.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 12-10-2012 03:55 PM

kbot wrote: I was thinking something similar - less shows, geared towards very specific topics. Could even take a long time to develop and produce and work it into his schedule. But, in the end, he has to be happy......
Even though I'd long hoped he'd stage a comeback in some way shape or form, at the same time I harbored no notion it'd be full-time, but merely on an occasional, intermittent or VERY part-time basis.

Considering more than two years have passed since he left C2C for good, at that time he was only under contract for 15 shows a year, having quit the weekend gig 3 years before, and it's now been nearly a FULL DECADE since his weeknight duties got handed off to George, I'm more or less inclined to believe starting any sort of extended on-air undertaking from scratch is hardly high on Art's mind at this point.

And, what IS the point if there's no itch that needs scratching? If he's enjoying his retirement so much, I think it'd take something pretty big to get him back in the game - like making a whole lotta money FOR very little effort -

So much as a new venture may not be FOREVER out of the question, I suppose it's not entirely outside the realm of reasonable possibility he could be presented with an offer he can't refuse...

ARRGH! YET with the optimism? Looks like I can't stop coming up with ideas on how we may still have Art back on the air. :D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2012 03:58 PM

I am sure he has been offered significant money to do what George is now doing, host a TV show on a crappy network talking about aliens or some such thing.

I have to assume he is sufficiently wealthy to live the lifestyle he wants, so what is the motivation? He has never been a publicity hound, he just doesn't have the need to go back to it (even though we would love to hear your voice Art :) ).

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 12-10-2012 04:44 PM

HB3 wrote: Oh, I just don't think Art gives a ****, honestly. I think his fans care a lot more than he does.

And I can't blame him. He saw "the scene" much more up close and personal than most. He probably became acutely aware of how dishonest and shady it is.

You are correct - it's sort of like not being able to get over a love affair.
A man's character is his fate

LeslieV
Pirate

Post by LeslieV » 12-10-2012 04:44 PM

Yes it would be good to hear him on the commercial airwaves but I have to agree, he is near 70 and it is time to hang up the microphone and let others carry forward. George Knapp has the voice and personality to carry forward and is younger so he would be a good one to move forward as he is darn good on the Sunday slot and gee, not too far from the old masters home.

Of course you can hear Art's voice on the ham bands talking with his friends. His ham receiver there in Pahrump may just let you listen to him if it is tuned to where he and his buddies are talking.

http://www.smeter.net/receive/receive.php

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-10-2012 05:03 PM

HB3 wrote: He probably became acutely aware of how dishonest and shady it is.
Well said.

I think this is one of the wingnut 'layers' I mentioned before. By his own rhetoric, after 9/11, he was left with either an audience of unpatriotic conspiratorial wingnuts, or a severely corrupted power structure in the US - a power structure to which he had shown much loyalty over his lifetime.

I guess we'll never know what his final determination was.
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-10-2012 05:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-10-2012 05:05 PM

SquidInk wrote: Well said.

I think this is one of the wingnut 'layers' I mentioned before. By his own rhetoric, after 9/11, he was left with either an audience of unpatriotic conspiratorial wingnuts, or a severely corrupted power structure in the US - a power structure to which he had shown much loyalty over his lifetime.

I guess we'll never know what his final determination was.

so basically he had to take his own "lear test"

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”