Attention Everyone! Don't Miss This Important "Art Appr

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Attention Everyone! Don't Miss This Important "Art Appr

Post by Riddick » 08-21-2012 06:22 PM

FYI FFolks, I've posted a solicitation for "The Art Appreciation Experiment" (Level 3 Testing), Day 2 in the ORR here... [img]http://img94.imageshack.us/img94 ... .jpg[/img]

After tonite my current plan is to personally 'MC' the thread on Wednesday starting about 8p CT, and then see who else has the wherewithal to 'kick off' listening to & chatting about Classic Art Bell Shows Thursday and/or Friday.

As for doing something similar for this coming Saturday's AB: Somewhere in Time, I dunno if I'll be back from my grand-niece's birthday party by air time, so if I haven't posted a thread for it before 7:45p CT or so, no one need wait for me to get it going -

Subsequent to Saturday, though, so far as any further tests are concerned, at this point your guess is as good as mine...

As it's still early on in the experiment it's probably premature to postulate with anything approaching absolute certitude, but having said that my thinking just now is it's been OVER TEN YEARS since Art was the regular host of C2C, and it may well be too much water has gone under the bridge since then to expect a whole lot of interest in participating in anything other than a retro ORR chat or two over the course of a weekend.

Even so, that's still SOMETHING ainit - and hey, when you think about it if something ISN'T better than nothing, then can someone please tell me what makes NOTHING the greatest thing there is??

Last edited by Riddick on 08-22-2012 02:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-22-2012 07:47 AM

Yep, I was right. It WAS too soon to be postulatin' - Not a lotta interest outside the weekend? PSHAW!

Monday? Nuttin' - TUESDAY? Biggest party yet w/attendees rkelley, Diogenes, Dale O Sea, Squidink & myself

Will Wednesday set a new record -? Wanna help SET a new record?

If you wanna have a part in making FF party history, set your cyber clocks for 8p CT tonite and head directly to the ORR for tonite's DAY 3/LEVEL 3 Classic Art Bell Show Chat :D

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-22-2012 09:20 AM

August is slow everywhere, hell France - the whole country - is all but closed down during August, so it's hard to base anything on what happens now in this short time. You will have to keep this up for awhile longer to get a good idea of how many are interested, I imagine. Thanks again too, btw. I hope you succeed where others have not.

I was listening to maybe a show a month on those free streams till now, and that wasn't even consistently..last night I topped that in a couple of hours. Kind of a, been-there-done-that thing with me..but doing same with decent company is another story.

And listening to the old shows, knowing what's happened (or not) since is a different experience for me and most ORR folks too. Puts a whole new twist on what is really just a rerun when it comes down to it. Another change for the usual ORR experience is that it's like spinning the wheel for what show will be on.. Sometimes a recent, weekend warrior show. Sometimes an old classic. Other times maybe a clunker that the topic/guest has been debunked or been outed as a scam.

Sounds like a mixed bag all around and this alone may keep things in the newly fitted ORR interesting. We may, in time, need to find a decent source for current, new content but there are hundreds of old Art Bell shows so as long as they are coming rather randomly, participants in your little experiment will have an interesting time.

And with your schedule starting well before that other guy's midnight (central time) show, we may attract some of those fine folks too. I may not like that host, but his listeners I have no problems with. Most are like me, just looking for answers to the dark questions - seeking light.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-22-2012 06:32 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: August is slow everywhere, hell France - the whole country - is all but closed down during August, so it's hard to base anything on what happens now in this short time.
Actually, as you say August is a slow month (and Mondays, well, they're Mondays aren't they?) I'd say we're already doing darn well all things considered.
Dale O Sea wrote: You will have to keep this up for awhile longer to get a good idea of how many are interested, I imagine.
Again, as it is after this week's 'Level 3 Test' ends I'm actually leaning towards setting up a system for the chats that I imagine can be 'self-sustaining' in the sense that, as I've said before, so much as anyone who comes along who cares to can get things started for the evening at or around 8p CT (or anytime after).

Though I'm 'leading' here in set-up of the system, as it is I don't want the end result to be solely reliant on either me OR any particular pirate's ongoing presence in the ORR each and every nite - and to that end, what I think might work best is to go with an ongoing thread that is NOT date dependent, yet is still descriptive of what day/period and topic it's dedicated to. I'd like to get FFolks' feedback as to a couple things related to that...

My current concept for what things will look like after Friday is this - for the AB SiT chats, I'll establish a single thread titled something like
  • 'Almost Live' Art Bell SiT Show Chats w/FREE Listen Link! - Sat. Nites 8p CT
For the rest of the week, I'll start a thread with a title along the lines of
  • 'Almost Live' Classic ART BELL Show Chats! FREE Listen Link! - Nitely Sun-Fri 8p CT
As an alternative, to consolidate the two I might simply otherwise create one thread like
  • 'Almost Live' Classic ART BELL Show Chats! Listen for FREE! - 8p CT Nitely
I do kinda like the idea of a single thread, from a keep it simple standpoint. On the one hand, that takes care of any potential problem of the SiT shows going away - although it would need be made clear that folks should listen to SiT on Saturdays at KQNA while they're still on the air. Any other time folks can listen to FineArtStream (with U7Radio being a 'backup' source).

If ever the thread gets large enough to be a problem, I imagine someone can set up a 2.0 chat thread somewhere down the line :)

So, whaddya think FFolks?
Dale O Sea wrote: Thanks again too, btw. I hope you succeed where others have not.
You're welcome, Dale. To the extent establishing groundwork has gone well thus far, I imagine a similar group effort in keeping things going subsequent to Friday can only ensure the experiment's success! :D

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-23-2012 01:24 PM

I am cool with this concept, but the thread may get ridiculously large fast, maybe we should split it up by month or even week? What if we make a subdeck so that the threads can all be together? I don't mind keeping it all in one thread, we could certainly try that out and see if it gets unwieldy. My thought is it is hard to know where the "intro" post is for that show, and going back to look for things may be nigh-impossible.

Just my 2c :)

Kudos for the initiative Riddick.

:conan:

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-23-2012 01:37 PM

Fan wrote: I am cool with this concept, but the thread may get ridiculously large fast, maybe we should split it up by month or even week? What if we make a subdeck so that the threads can all be together? I don't mind keeping it all in one thread, we could certainly try that out and see if it gets unwieldy. My thought is it is hard to know where the "intro" post is for that show, and going back to look for things may be nigh-impossible.

Just my 2c :)

Kudos for the initiative Riddick.

:conan:
Thanks for the kudos Fan!

Seeing as it's OK with you let's give the one-thread idea a try. So much as it might get unwieldy at some point, I still see it as a way to not rely on any one person's involvement week-to-week or even month-to-month to get chat threads started & keep things going -

At the same time, your suggestion about starting a subdeck seems like an eminently reasonable idea, so if in the future the one-thread idea runs its course, we've already got a place for it and any new ones to be together...

So, howzat all sound to ya?
Last edited by Riddick on 08-23-2012 01:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-23-2012 01:44 PM

OK so I made a subdeck of the ORR here forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=121

I don't know if the title is proper, so suggest something else if anyone has a better idea :)

Riddick, feel free to use it or leave the thread where it is, it is up to you.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-23-2012 01:51 PM

"Art Bell Somewhere in Time / Archives Chat"

I'm just thinking about the possibility of the weekly SiT classic show rebroadcasts going away... to de-emphasize them a bit, how about tweaking the title to something like

"Art Bell Classic Shows & Somewhere in Time Chat"?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-23-2012 01:52 PM

Your wish is my command.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 08-24-2012 07:35 PM

Hey Now Gang! If y'all please would help me out, what I'd like for y'all to do here is to check out the following rough-draft FAQ and let me know if it reads good and makes sense to you, and if not, tell me why not along with any corrections and/or suggestions on what-all there is in it I might fix to make it more understandable...

As it is, I plan on posting the FAQ and the new chat thread in the new ORR subdeck sometime tomorrow am or early pm ahead of this week's SiT show.

TIA!

The Art Bell Classic Shows & Somewhere in Time Chat FAQ Version 1.0

Q: "Art Bell Classic Shows & Somewhere in Time Chat"? Why here, why now?

As the (r)evolutionary outgrowth of our ongoing "Art Appreciation Experiment", we here at the Fantastic Forum want to provide a place on the Web for the many fans of the one and only Art Bell to both listen to and chat about classic shows from the halcyon heyday of his creation Coast to Coast AM on a nightly basis.

As to the question "Why now" we pose the question: If not now, then when?

Q: Why just one chat thread? Why not daily or weekly or monthly threads?

For now, we've established a single chat thread for the purposes of keeping things simple, and making the entire experience more flexible in that anyone who's interested in starting off a chat any given evening can do so freely without depending on any designated "Master of Ceremonies" to get things going each night.

Q: Won't a single thread make it difficult to keep track of where each night's chats begin and end?

So much as it may be true that a single thread may make things hard to track from night to night, to help mitigate any difficulties in that regard we suggest anyone initiating a chat copy and paste the following colored line somewhere in their initial post of the evening:

Code: Select all

[img]http://tinyurl.com/ArtBellChatBanner[/img]
If in preview mode you see the following banner:

You're doing it right. If not and you can't figure it out, don't fret, someone might come along that can help you fix it later.

Q: Ok, that all sounds pretty reasonable. When should people show up for the nightly chats?

The thought is for any and all who are interested in a chat to come in and start posting in the thread at or around 8p CT each evening (or anytime after). When a new nightly chat is not already in progress, we recommend strongly that anyone still interested start one -

In any case, we also highly recommend that chat starters begin to post some comments and information about the show that's playing and to continue with that for at least some while after kicking things off to help attract additional people into the party.

Q. What should nightly chatters select as the source for Classic Art Bell Shows to listen to?

On Saturday nights for as long as they continue to air, chat clubbers should tune in the current week's Art Bell Somewhere In Time show either for free at the KQNA site, or 'Coast Insider' subscribers might choose to listen at the C2C AM site. That said, so much as the two streams may be out-of-sync, it would probably be best for all to be listening to KQNA's free stream.

Any other night, the freely available FineArtStream with be the source of choice. If there are technical issues with the stream, or if the sound quality is extremely sub-par, as an alternative source U7Radio is also freely available, but MAJOR CAUTION should be taken to ensure that everyone remains 'on the same page' if a switch is made. Additionally, regardless of the source, to help stay in-sync everyone refreshing the stream at the top of an hour is advisable.

Q: You mentioned 'chat clubbers' - what's that all about? Is there an actual club with official membership, ID cards or secret pass signs, etcetera?

There's no official club at this time, but so much as a society may exist, we currently have a choice of either one of two names for the social group to call themselves: "Art Appreciators" or "Coast Outsiders".

Q: KEWL BEANS! Anything else you'd like to mention?

Well, since you asked, as a reference here's some handy dandy links to help enhance everyone's listening & chatting pleasure (particularly when the source site specifically and accurately cites what's playing at any given time) --

For program summaries of shows from 2002 thru April 2009, check out the 'retro' design C2C archive at

http://archive.coasttocoastam.com/shows/

You can find summaries for later shows with Art at

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2009
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/2010

Last but not least, for summaries of shows prior to 2002, check out the Wayback Machine archive -

Sep 96 - Dec 02
http://web.archive.org/web/200212071257 ... opics.html

- and for earlier shows, who knows? Try a Web search with your engine of choice: include as terms as much as you know about the date, topic, guest, etc. You might get lucky!

In any case FFolks as activity moves ahead in this new ORR subdeck remember, it's a party here, but at the same time don't forget to chat responsibly. ;)

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”