Art Bell requests Premiere stop running "Somewhere in T

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

jjflyer
Pirate

Art Bell requests Premiere stop running "Somewhere in T

Post by jjflyer » 06-20-2012 08:48 AM

For anyone who is not on Art Bell's Facebook list, you may or may not have heard there was a little bit of unfortunate news posted on there last night.

Art has requested Premiere stop airing the "Somewhere in Time" shows. I for one have really enjoyed hearing the Art Bell classics over the last few years and I won't even listen to any Coast programming other than that.

I'm sure Art has a good reason for making this request and I wouldn't question him on it but it will be weird not to hear his voice on AM radio at all, even if it is just classics.

Luckily I have many old tapes of classic shows to listen to.

Art didn't elaborate any further as of now he just noted that he has made the request.

I have attached the image below of the status update.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-20-2012 11:01 AM

IIRC Art has said he's had offers to do another show, but he didn't want to go up against Coast...

So much as at the same time he also maybe wouldn't care for a full time schedule, might this be the first step towards clearing the way to do a weekend-only Saturday night show?

(Just trying to inject a note of optimism here, speculative as it may be!)

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 06-20-2012 11:08 AM

Sounds like a bit of Art Bell radio "strategery".

That is interesting news.
A man's character is his fate

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 06-20-2012 03:05 PM

I dont wanna be mean but i think he is acting stupid and childish by asking this!!

WHO CARES IF HIS SHOWS ARE HEARD???????? -- AT LEAST HE STILL HAS A VOICE!!!!!!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-20-2012 06:51 PM

Unless he will be appearing/heard somewhere else, and doesn't want the network to get any action.

But I don't know how he can make the request given the fact that PremRad probably has an intellectual property clause in all contracts.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Lyn Joyce
Pirate

Post by Lyn Joyce » 06-20-2012 06:57 PM

Art is clearing the way for a return to Radio,it could happen!!!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-20-2012 07:34 PM

It would have to be on a network with some ability to market the show. Perhaps the new Cumulus Media. Not as huge as Clear Channel, but they do have enough stations to get some legs in cities where Coast is airing.

If Art would, (and I doubt he will), come back, and if he has the people to back him with producing and marketing, I think he could take George's ratings.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

jjflyer
Pirate

Post by jjflyer » 06-20-2012 08:48 PM

I didn't even think about that possibility. I guess that would make sense too. He's hinted at "big news" but hasn't really said anything in like 6 months about it.

Would be great to hear him on another show even if it's just now and then.

Hope you're right. Knock on wood.

hogo
Pirate

Interesting indeed

Post by hogo » 06-21-2012 02:58 AM

I don't think there could be any other valid reason to remove the shows, unless he was planning on something new coming out. Art is not petty, jealous, vindictive, or any other trait that would cause him to take them off "just because." I've met the man, looked into his eyes, and he was everything we believe him to be. Never say never.
Wanna take a ride?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 06-21-2012 03:50 AM

Who cares if he does return?

HIS OLD SHOWS ARE WELL WORTH LISTENING TO ALSO!!

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: Interesting indeed

Post by Diogenes » 06-21-2012 11:55 AM

hogo wrote: I don't think there could be any other valid reason to remove the shows, unless he was planning on something new coming out. Art is not petty, jealous, vindictive, or any other trait that would cause him to take them off "just because." I've met the man, looked into his eyes, and he was everything we believe him to be. Never say never.
Wanna take a ride?

I bet you felt the same way when you met Putin:D
A man's character is his fate

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-21-2012 02:35 PM

Not so sure Art left C2C on very good terms. Art is a businessman who knows that one must protect IP (intellectual property) if he is to maintain his ownership rights. I think that's what this is. I don't see a new show for Art but even if there were one, I don't think it would be the same good old Art and Coast we loved. I listen to some old shows once in awhile - right now in fact - and compared to his last, say, 25 shows before his latest retirement, even with dated topics, they are much better, more engaging and informative - edgy. He's not been the same in a long time - no edginess at all, heh. I prefer to remember him as he was before his bevy of replacements took over, when he rocked.

Also - a big welcome to some new faces in this thread. Great to see some new blood on deck. :cool:

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-21-2012 06:28 PM

You could be right, Dale. It could be as simple as Art reading all the bad PR that Coast has been getting, and he just wants to protect his image.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 06-21-2012 07:24 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I listen to some old shows once in awhile - right now in fact - and compared to his last, say, 25 shows before his latest retirement, even with dated topics, they are much better, more engaging and informative - edgy.
Might not be a good idea to post those sites anymore Dale! (If art finds out he could try to get them to stop airing them)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 06-21-2012 08:12 PM

voguy wrote: You could be right, Dale. It could be as simple as Art reading all the bad PR that Coast has been getting, and he just wants to protect his image.

Have they been getting more than usual? ;)
Dude111 wrote: Might not be a good idea to post those sites anymore Dale! (If art finds out he could try to get them to stop airing them)
That's between Art and the owner of the fineartstream.com site. But the fineartstream site is very low quality (low bitrate mono) and has no ad support that I know of - he makes no money streaming these shows short of what's collected with the donation buttons on the page. Gauging by the less than 60 twitter followers - http://twitter.com/fineartstream - I imagine those donations might cover the cost of bandwidth, maybe. Just sayin', I bet Art knows. . He's always been pretty diligent about keeping on top of his web presence.

Personally, I think fineartstream.com is providing a positive service to Art by amassing and maintaining this streaming database of dated show archives and bet Art is a smart enough business man to see this too.

But you are correct that unless fineartstream has permission from Art or whoever owns the rights to his old shows, they can ask for them to be pulled. He's been up streaming for a year or so. The site has been all that has kept Art in my ear these last few months.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”