Art Update?

Post by alleyrulez » 02-10-2011 08:39 AM

any news?

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 02-10-2011 08:56 PM

Nope...kinda strangely quiet!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 02-11-2011 08:13 AM

...and NOT reassuring.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-11-2011 12:23 PM

I would love to hear from Art but somehow I don't think we will at this point. I wish him the best and will miss hearing him live on the air.

Glop
Pirate

Post by Glop » 02-12-2011 07:43 AM

Shirleypal wrote: I wish him the best and will miss hearing him live on the air.
I do miss him. Miss him badly. The hair on my neck would stand up right as a new live show was starting and I would get the chills when he would do the intro. Nothing else does that to me. I don't know what else to say - it's the end of an era.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 02-12-2011 03:56 PM

Art is only 63ish. Young by today's standards. Too young to retire such talent! If those congress critters can run the country until they are 90, surely Art can entertain us for another 30 odd years. He may come back like gangbusters and surprise the hell out of us all. We can only hope! :)

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-12-2011 04:02 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Art is only 63ish. Young by today's standards. Too young to retire such talent! If those congress critters can run the country until they are 90, surely Art can entertain us for another 30 odd years. He may come back like gangbusters and surprise the hell out of us all. We can only hope! :)

Art will be 66 on June 17, 2011, I do agree that is young, look at Larry King who is fianlly retiring, not a fan, he is 77.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 02-12-2011 04:09 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Art will be 66 on June 17, 2011, I do agree that is young, look at Larry King who is fianlly retiring, not a fan, he is 77.

Thanks SP. Art is still so bright, interesting and articulate. Such a waste! As much as I miss him, I do hope he is enjoying his free time with his wife and sweet little girl. I'm sure he is.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-12-2011 05:06 PM

Raggedyann wrote: Thanks SP. Art is still so bright, interesting and articulate. Such a waste! As much as I miss him, I do hope he is enjoying his free time with his wife and sweet little girl. I'm sure he is.

I guess we are selfish when it comes to Art and that isn't fair, can you imgaine someone telling us how to live our lives.

We will always miss him, there never has and never will be anyone like him, sometimes we are lucky enough to have something that is once in lifetime and I am grateful for that.

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 02-12-2011 09:39 PM

alleyrulez wrote: ...and NOT reassuring.

but definitely mysterious
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

goodfello
Pirate

Post by goodfello » 02-15-2011 10:33 AM

Hello Glop.... good to see you here.. I was asking Shirley about you a few months back. Wondered if you where still around. Good to see that you are well. I too would have the hair on my neck stand up to hear the start of one of his live shows. I miss him like mad right now with what all is going on in our crazy world.

Lets hope that there is a suprise in the future of this ole ship.... eh
Be well!

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 02-15-2011 01:19 PM

This is from Art's Wikipedia page:

Events of 2010

Art Bell hosted 10 episodes in 2010, 5 short of his publicly-announced, contractually-specified quota of 15 shows per year. His last hosting gig was his annual Ghost To Ghost show on Halloween night (this was the first show ever wherein Art used call screeners). At the end of that broadcast, Bell said "When they next call my name we'll come back and we'll do this one more time."

As of December 2010 Art Bell was no longer listed as a host on the Coast to Coast website; his shows were no longer searchable under his name; and the only references to Bell on the site were of an historical/archival nature. However, the weekly "Somewhere In Time with Art Bell" broadcasts of classic Bell-hosted episodes (which have aired before the live show on Saturday nights since 2006) were not discontinued.
On 12/21/10 the "HamCam" on Art's ham radio website[28] featured an image with the following cryptic wording: "The Wind No Longer Blows, in the End it was Without Direction. Long Live the Hot Air. 30"[29] Fans on Art-centric comment boards have identified "30" as "a sign-off when a Ham has their final transmission from a particular location."[30] Other interpretations are similar: "The End", "Good Night", "No More".

It was announced in late December 2010 that Ian Punnett would host Art's annual two-part New Year's Eve prediction shows. Initially, Noory had said that Art was unable to host them because he would be traveling, but on 12/24/10 Noory said: "We had asked Art to do his predictions show; he's going to spend time with his family. He's winding down, folks, he's winding down....I don't anticipate he'll do any more shows." On the first of the two nights (12/30/10), Punnett made a brief, oblique reference to his having the honor of "picking up (Art's) fallen mantle". On the 01/01/11 show, Punnett stated he was "looking forward to doing the follow-up a year from now".

In email interactions with fans who have written in to inquire about Bell's absence, Coast personnel have confirmed that Art Bell has retired. According to Coast webmaster Lex Lonehood: "Art Bell decided he no longer wished to do live C2C shows, and asked that his name be removed from the host listings accordingly. Classics and Somewhere in Time shows will continue as is."[31] Coast producer Lisa Lyon told another fan that Bell "has chosen to retire", but that "Art Bell will always be associated with our show, and he is welcome back to the mic whenever he feels the need."[32]

Despite the above remarks from Punnett, Noory, Lyon, Lonehood and Bell, as of 01/06/11, an official public statement formally confirming Bell's departure from Coast to Coast AM has yet to be made via press release, website announcement or on-air, by any party with the authority to do so--the show's producers, Premier Radio Networks, Clear Channel Communications, or Art Bell himself. This lack of information has led to rampant speculation among Bell's fanbase as to the motivations and circumstances behind Bell's sudden absence; whether he has given his last live broadcast; and what--if anything--he may decide to do next.

During a chat on February 8, 2011, events became even more confusing for Bell's fans as George Noory, during a public chat responding to a question on Art Bell, stated that Art Bell isn't responding to his emails. The questioner, "Coalspeaker," asked "Have you spoken to Art Bell lately? And if so is he and his family doing well?" Noory responded by saying, "No I havent. Art has decided to retire for good this time. I assume all is well for him and his family. he has gone through many ups and downs. I sent him a very lengthy email a few months ago, and he never responded. Though he normally would." [33] There was no further explanation beyond that point on why Art Bell did not respond to Mr. Noory's email, although it only led Bell's fanbase to speculate further.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-15-2011 03:01 PM

This seems to have that ring of truth. Good catch, Laura!

goodfello
Pirate

Post by goodfello » 02-16-2011 10:55 AM

Hmmm
Be well!

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 02-17-2011 01:21 PM

I think we missed these clues and exchanges because so few of us listen to the show anymore, but the Wiki article seemed very well researched. It seems like a rather anti-climactic end to what I would consider to be one of the top three radio careers of all time, but maybe everyone is right. Maybe Art is planning something new.

For me, I stopped waiting-for-Art years ago. But I guess a little hope doesn't hurt. In the meanwhile, how to cancel that Streamlink subscription..........
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”