It's Time To Move On

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Diamondgirl
Pirate

It's Time To Move On

Post by Diamondgirl » 03-28-2009 06:20 PM

OK that's it, I've finally given up. Now that Art has moved back to the Phillipines I guess it's time to forget any hope I had that he would return to radio with any regularity. Sure, he may do a couple of shows per year, but let's face it, his run is over and he has moved on and that means the end of decent talk radio as we remember it. Just listen to the garbage that is out there now and the calibre of listeners who call in and say they love the show, etc. Dear God, even the likes of Rush Limbaugh have idiots who call themselves dittoheads. It's turned into a vast wasteland. How many times can you listen to vintage Art? I wish Art and his beautiful wife and daughter nothing but happiness, but I for one no longer hold out any hope.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Re: It's Time To Move On

Post by Live365 » 03-28-2009 06:46 PM

Diamondgirl wrote: OK that's it, I've finally given up.

I wish Art and his beautiful wife and daughter nothing but happiness, but I for one no longer hold out any hope.

Diamondgirl, I mean no disrespect here. But Rush, Sean, Glenn, Laura, nor Keith and Rachel, ever retired their shows. Art did, five times. I can't respect someone who shows such minimal respect for the listeners.

If he truly loves radio, he will be back. But if it's only *news* about the babies, the wife and the cats, followed by a fascinating interview with GIS, I'll pass.

His decision. If I'm wrong, I could care less. I'm over it.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 03-28-2009 07:45 PM

Hi Live :),

I understand your frustration and there is no Pirate whose opinion I value more. Still, I disagree with you on this. I believe Art truly cares for his listeners and also considers the Pirates of this good ship part of his family just as you and I do. I believe in one way or another, Art will remain in touch and with us and most often especially through the use of the radio to both fascinate and inform us. I look forward to hearing him as often as possible for many years to come.
racehorse

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-28-2009 07:54 PM

I disagree with you also Live, Art does care about his listeners but he cares more about himself and his families life as it should be. Also you are not fair to Art, he had some horrible things happen to him and his loved ones through the years, since when does someone deserve disrespect for that, this isn't about you.
I for one never under estimate Art.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-29-2009 01:28 AM

I can't imagine its easy for Art to be a "guest" in his own house (C2C). He has had many things happen since his retirement. But first and foremost, he feels the needs to keep his family safe and that I respect.

I have not given up hope and will be there for those times that we are lucky enough to hear him on the airwaves, because he is simply the best at what he does. :)

alleyrulez
Pirate

Post by alleyrulez » 03-29-2009 10:58 PM

what's wrong with the GIS?

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 03-30-2009 08:11 AM

I personally love it when the GIS are on with Art Bell....

GeorgeT
Pirate

Not asking a whole lot

Post by GeorgeT » 03-30-2009 09:23 PM

racehorse wrote: Hi Live :),

I understand your frustration and there is no Pirate whose opinion I value more. Still, I disagree with you on this. I believe Art truly cares for his listeners and also considers the Pirates of this good ship part of his family just as you and I do. I believe in one way or another, Art will remain in touch and with us and most often especially through the use of the radio to both fascinate and inform us. I look forward to hearing him as often as possible for many years to come.

It is not asking a whole lot to do things like Art Bell. If only the guest hosts can ask more follow up questions. It seems that is what is missing, the current host during the week is always transmitting, as if reading questions for the person to start talking, then moving to the next question.
It would be nice to have a host that challenges the guest once in a while and asks meaningful questions, people call in and say they are Marilyn Monroe. The current host plays along dumbly. At least Art Bell would laugh and politely dismiss the caller.
The show's format could be ok if only they could find a host that is interested and knows a little bit about the topic.
Let Art Bell be retired and spend his remaining years doing what he wants.

Students of Radio should take note, the old format where the host asks questions, listens to the guest and asks meaningful follow up questions. This formula tends to work.
Listen to the current weekly host and you'll hear how to appeal to the lowest common denominator, it brings in rating numbers perhaps, but not necessarily the most intelligent demographic.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 03-30-2009 09:30 PM

alleyrulez wrote: what's wrong with the GIS?

Cause that's all he ever has on. It's a politically neutral subject.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 03-30-2009 09:48 PM

As admiring of Art Bell as I am, I have always been critical of his behavior after his original retirement in 1998. Art should have let go, there and then, with him making quarterly Ghost-to-Ghost appearances as the host emeritus. As things turned out, Art retired and then unretired, repeatedly. His behavior on this respect did the show no great good and, in fact, helped to destabilize it over the next couple of years.

At his best, Art is one of the best interviewers whom I have ever heard. But his off-the-mike behavior, which now appears to have been so erratic, does detract from his legacy to the paranormal/ufological/conspiratorial community.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 03-31-2009 01:13 AM

Dimondgirl, Live 365 and Joequinn all are absolutely correct. Art treated C2C like it was just a job. He abruptly retired and walked away. Of course, most people believed C2C was much more than just another radio show. How is it possible that millions of listeners ended up having more respect for C2C than did Art Bell, its creator? It has been shocking to see Art walk way from C2C and leave it in total disarray without so much as a glance back. It's a shame. There's no question that Art's legacy has been severely tarnished in the minds of many by his decisions over the past 7-8 years. Art should have had enough respect for C2C and its listeners to assure a smooth transition to a host who actually was a credible replacement. It's a sad end to what once was a great show

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 03-31-2009 02:39 AM

Plainsman wrote: It has been shocking to see Art walk way from C2C and leave it in total disarray without so much as a glance back. It's a shame.

It's a sad end to what once was a great show

I finally have the bullocks to say what I've wantd to for years: The reason Art went with GIS, Ed Dames, and the like ad nauseum, was because IT REQUIRED NO SHOW-PREP. Master that he was, he could sit down with a cig and a cool one, and wing it with these guests. Without effort. Are you seriously telling me you didn't notice that??????

Look. The guy changed my life. He has my undying loyalty. But if he wants to quit, who am I to stop him.

I've been done for a while.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Jan
Pirate

Post by Jan » 03-31-2009 07:39 PM

No one measures up to Bell, and I've missed him and his consistently top of the line work.

There are other shows out there. For scholarly and cultural interviews, check out Milt Rosenberg over at WGN 720 AM out of Chicago, podcasts, streaming and archives are available. For Americana, economic news and down home entertainment, check out the truckers' shows. For paranormal and UFO topics, there are plenty of other shows available.

GIS? Global Information Service? Sorry, I don't keep up.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 03-31-2009 07:45 PM

Jan wrote:
GIS? Global Information Service? Sorry, I don't keep up.

Ghost Investigators Society

See:

http://www.ghostpix.com/
Last edited by racehorse on 03-31-2009 07:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.
racehorse

Jan
Pirate

Post by Jan » 03-31-2009 07:47 PM

Thanks.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”