"Special Host"...so what really gives & what i

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-29-2003 08:47 AM

Joe you forgot that Coast is Art's show always was and always will be, no one can ever fill his shoes. If Snoory was doing a good job he wouldn't have to watch his back, I along with a few million others do not listen to Coast any longer.

TheBlackHand
Pirate

Post by TheBlackHand » 05-29-2003 01:27 PM

Never let it be said that I never agree with Racehorse.

Sure, Noory is probably doing OK. The format sells itself and there's really not much else on overnight. However, evvverybody knows that the night Art Bell comes back with a syndicated show is the night that George Noory takes the backseat...if he isn't kicked to the curb alltogether.

As soon as Art returns to flip on the lights in the big house, it's lights out in Noory's trailer park.

Bupper, I reallly want to know who signs your paycheck.

You are out...of...touch.

j0ntar
Pirate

Post by j0ntar » 05-29-2003 01:48 PM

Art forgotten? i highley ever doubt it. I think more people listen to arts old shows than all the current archives of all the shows currently running.

George has matured, i listened in last night to Marshall Masters(eminem?) and George actually TOOK CONTROL of the show and had input. It was suprising, yet its no Art show. There is still no true depth to it. It doesnt put you at the edge of your seat, it doesnt make you say OMG WOW.

btw DOESNT ANYONE ELSE CRINGE EVERY TIME RACEHORSE POSTS.

alphacentaura
Pirate

Here I go again........

Post by alphacentaura » 05-29-2003 04:07 PM

j0ntar wrote: Art forgotten? i highley ever doubt it. I think more people listen to arts old shows than all the current archives of all the shows currently running.

George has matured, i listened in last night to Marshall Masters(eminem?) and George actually TOOK CONTROL of the show and had input. It was suprising, yet its no Art show. There is still no true depth to it. It doesnt put you at the edge of your seat, it doesnt make you say OMG WOW.

btw DOESNT ANYONE ELSE CRINGE EVERY TIME RACEHORSE POSTS.

I do agree, that I have observed perhaps a 'maturation' process/improvement with George's interview style, or at minimum to say that listening is much less painfull and sometime even marginally acceptible, although, personally, I have yet to hear George even marginally take control of any of his shows except for a brief moment.

Depth and breadth, IMHO has always been George's Achille's heal and after a year or so of immersion in both format and venue, I doubt if any further stellar gains will be forthcoming.

I think we must remember the very significant difference between a "visionary" and an attempted "technocrat".

Art was the visionary which was cleary evident with the creation and presentation of each and every show, largely I'm sure, because it was an extention of himself and his dream. ...anyhow..enough said about this...nothing that we all don't know.

What stands out for me and is cleary evident as a major differention between George and even Babs...Ian no doubt, not to mention Art, is George's ability or let's say, lack thereof in the "Art of Talk".

His "dooficious" blather ( o.k. Elk, an attribute of 'dooficity') in the opening hour and open lines, is beyond my comprehension and tolerance., whether it be a comment about the news/stories he has just presented or in response to a closing call in. It is lame, unprofessional and cleary in my mind shows the calibre of what he brings to the chair.

In all honesty, I have never heard anything so inept in all the time I've listened to talk radio of any genre...and trust me guys, I've listened for a few decades.

And j0ntar, yes....racehorse most often does make me cringe, however, I agree with Dev, his seeming dedication to Art gives him a bit of license, although I can't understand how he/she can homogonize the then and now....unless of course, as others have suggested RH is here for other purposes, where 'nothing is as it seems'....perhaps a CC thoroughbread!!...hmmm

BTW, RH......I'll get back and have not forgotten about our conversation in the "Icke" thread. .....'nothing is as it seems' my friend.

The ultimate experience would be, to see Art return to the airwaves, giving us the ultimate excellent ride; best yet with Art in total control and without any PremRat/CC demands in a totally new venue/format..

However, that said, I would also really love to see Coast be a glimmer of it's once glorious past, however, can't see it even getting close with Snoory or Babs of late ......so sad.

I know that someone 'moved my cheese' but I want it back where I can find and eat it!!
Last edited by alphacentaura on 05-29-2003 04:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 05-29-2003 04:13 PM

Joe, I'm suspicious too. I can't forget the way Art turned his back on the FF when he returned the last time and said he couldn't deal with anyone Keith didn't like. I enjoy listening to Art. His questions are insightful and intelligent and he can put a guest on the "hotseat" faster than a frog can take a fly, but, I'll always have the nagging suspicion that the FF may just be a useful tool for keeping his name out there. I'm torn, because I'd really like to have him back on the air as it was usually great radio and kept my mind going. I truly have mixed feelings.

After meeting mr."Seagull" in SanJose', I have no respect for him. That he was a "celebrity" was more than evident and I'm glad he's gone, but, I truly understand what you said Joe, about Noory "watching his back." Something's in the wind, perhaps, streaming in the wind.;)

Gotrox
Pirate

Post by Gotrox » 05-29-2003 07:05 PM

Have to say I am suspicious of some things, the bad back, sudden illness, phone lines out, especially since the last "special" hosting, when his back was totally fine------can't fault him, as I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes, and maybe was the only way out of the PriemRat-race-- I will listen for nostalgia's sake, but this "dumbing down" of the show by Noory is driving me to sleep---yer right, he better watch his back---Rense is knocking at the door, among others. C-Gull was an informercial trying to make a sale.

Post by Guest » 05-29-2003 07:17 PM

For me, last night's show with Snoory was the most boring in the recent history! I couldn't take it after a less than hour and switched to replaying a classic Art Bell show with David Icke. I turned on C2C again during the final hour with callers and it was still terrible. The next couple nights with the TRUE HOST (not guest host) should be an amazing contrast!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-29-2003 07:31 PM

Hey Bad Boy you are so right, that is way I don't listen any longer not worth the irritation.........thanks for the Cusco links and more.

Shirley

Anticipation is bringing me up, only 4 and 1/2 hours to go.

Rankinfile
Pirate

Post by Rankinfile » 05-29-2003 08:13 PM

Did anyone notice that Steve Mason did a credible job of interviewing Red Elk? Of course, Red Elk is quite colorful and would be an interesting interview no matter what but I thougt Steve rolled with RE's punches pretty well. He's a crotchity old guy that Red Elk...

Bob73
Pirate

Long John Nebel ?

Post by Bob73 » 05-29-2003 08:20 PM

Hello Joe Quinn:

You wrote:---------------------------------------------------------
Do I honor Art Bell as being in the same league with Long John Nebel? Certainly. Will I be listening to Art tonight and tomorrow night? Of course. Do I trust Art Bell now? No.

Regards and best wishes to all,

Joe Quinn

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about telling us more about LONG JOHN NEBEL?
I have heard his name and think he had a late night
paranormal talk show similar to Art Bell's Coast to Coast
and DREAMLAND but am not sure. Is John still alive?

I use to enjoy listening to a man named IVAN SANDERSON
years ago who was into the weird and unusual. He
appeared on radio and TV when paranormal subjects
were discussed. I always thought he would have made
a good replacement for Art Bell when Art gave up the
host job. Ivan passed away a few years ago.
Bob73

joequinn
Magister Ludi

I'll Be Listening Carefully Tonight

Post by joequinn » 05-29-2003 08:34 PM

I will be listening very carefully tonight and tomorrow night to Art Bell. I hope that we will have a pair of great shows, but I suspect that he will not be his "old self." The old Art was a truly dangerous man, who could pretend for fifteen or twenty minutes that he was cowed by the person whom he was interviewing --- until that evil moment when he would ask a simple question that would skewer the pompous ass right to the wall! Will we see that wild-n-wacky Art tonight? I hope so, but I doubt it. Art was once a mustang, folks, but now he probably is just the stud emeritus in the Clear Channel stable. And I suspect that he will act accordingly...

What may have happened to Art Bell over the past five years brings up something that has been bothering me a lot recently. I have been interested in these matters since 1965, when I was sixteen years old, but until the mid-1980s I was very, very quiet about my interests: indeed, it was one of the deepest secrets about me. If you were a "normal" person, you did not have any interest in ghosts or in UFOs: only "freaks," people of no importance in our society, had such an interest. It was not until the mid-1980s, when every housewife in America started to channel an ascended master and the image of a grey began to appear on just about everything sellable, that I came out of the closet, so to speak, in these matters.

But even then, I was careful about whom I discussed these matters. Not that my care forestalled all difficulties. Indeed, I will never forget when I was making a brief presentation at the Pine Bush UFO Group meeting and one of my former students walked in during the middle of it! She was so shocked at what she saw that she told me that she went blank for a moment before she started to laugh, quite loudly. And so did I, after warning her that "we" are everywhere, even in the classroom...

The one place where I could truly feel part of a community was Coast-to-Coast, where there were HUNDREDS of people who felt what I felt and who had lived in the closet as I had lived in the closet. And Art Bell was the community organizer of the group! As such, Art Bell was a very, very dangerous threat to the national security of the United States --- don't laugh, I am being dead serious! --- and doubtlessly his threat to the established order of things had much to do with his problems in the late 1990s.

But now it is five years later, and what do we have? Clear Channel. George Noory. And Art Bell as a Clear Channel stud emeritus. Instead of "freaks" now, we have "decent and respectable" people calling up, and the end result is a "decent and respectable" show. That is awful, and I protest violently against it! Our whole society is built upon mindless, endlessly expanding, hedonistic consumption, and a concern with religion (any religion!) and its allied sciences (of which I regard both parapsychology and ufology as two of the greatest) is a threat to the foundations of our society (thank God!). People who listened to Art Bell in the 1990s were a clear and present danger to "decent and respectable" people, not by virtue of what they said or did but by virtue of what they ARE.

That threat --- and the marvellous edge which came with that threat --- is gone now. God help us, but the freaks have been co-opted and commoditized! The bourgeoise, I have always been warned, can digest ANYTHING, and such I fear has happened to Coast-to-Coast with its Clear Channelization! And that, I fear, is going to be in evidence tonight and tomorrow night when Art Bell takes the microphone again...

I hope that I am wrong about this, but I know that I am right about the bourgeoisification of Coast-to-Coast when Clear Channel bought it! Robert Frost was right: "nothing gold can stay." :frown

Regards and best wishes to you all,

Joe Quinn
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-29-2003 08:40 PM

Hey Joe,
Our stripes can't be changed, Art will be as great as ever just you wait and see.

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 05-29-2003 09:49 PM

Joe, well put! I know what you mean about "being in the closet" and suddenly, there were "greys" EVERYWHERE!! On cereal boxes, tee-shirts, surfboards, beer commercials, it's as if someone somewhere pushed a button and said: "Greys are good for business!" Shirley Maclain had the USA all channeling Avatars and suddenly, wierd as it seems, the other-worldly, became mundane. Art did winnow out lots of "chaff" while occasionally allowing some "frozen alien burritos" into the mix!;) I do miss the "wildness" of his old show. "sigh"

The_One
Pirate

Re: Art's Return to Coast-to-Coast

Post by The_One » 05-30-2003 02:30 AM

joequinn wrote: But Noory should watch his back, and he should never forget what Art Bell and Clear Channel did to the hapless Mike Siegel in the year 2000.

LOL! The "hapless" Mike Siegel is doing quite well for himself these days. I very much enjoy listening to him every afternoon on the little Long Island AM station where he is the drive-time talk host. Mike is doing light political/local talk... which is what he does best. He was never the right person for the Coast captain's chair in the first place, though he gave it the good ol' college try. Now that he is back in his element, he sounds very relaxed and happy (as opposed to hapless).

Just thought you'd all like to know... ;)
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 05-30-2003 06:30 AM

What's the deal Joe? The paranormal's just for a few HUNDRED special people, not for entertainment? You're one who "gets it" and I don't? I'm being "naive" about this, too? Sorry, but I think you're being a snob.
As for the watering down of the show, I agree. And I think Art was great last night. I did not care for the guest of limited spiritual capacity.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”