Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Home

Post by Linnea » 12-30-2006 07:43 PM

How sweet it is...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 12-30-2006 07:48 PM

Home sweet home is right, loving those webcam pic's from the High Desert.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 12-30-2006 07:50 PM

Home is where you hang yer hat.

I choose to hang my hat, here.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 12-30-2006 11:52 PM

AHHHHH

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 12-30-2006 11:53 PM

:)
racehorse

WestBorder
Pirate

Post by WestBorder » 12-31-2006 01:03 AM

Wow - haven't seen that view for awhile! :) If you ever get the opportunity, visit Pahrump, NV. My wife and I drove through Pahrump on our way to Death Valley last year. It is a very unique town in a very beautiful part of the High Desert.
Anchors Aweigh!

wcstflyer
Pirate

Post by wcstflyer » 12-31-2006 12:38 PM

I hope Airyn is able to quickly assimilate into the lifestyle of Pahrump, Nevada for Art's sake. It must be quite a culture shock coming from the equatorial urban lifestyle of Manila.

Thirty-five years ago the quiet desert hamlet of Pahrump in Nye county was mainly known for housing one slightly questionable estabishment at the end of a lonely dirt road, the Chicken Ranch brothel. Adjacent to the establishment was a 3,200 ft. runway that somehow managed to get itself published in the Las Vegas Sectional FAA low altitude VFR chart. During the 1970's and 80's, when the sun went down a tiny fleet of Cessna 206 and 207 Skywagons would shuttle...er...customers from the Hughes terminal (now Signature Aviation) at McCarren International the 60 miles to the Pahrump airstrip. From high altitude you can still see the X's on the closed airstrip next to the brothel. That was Pahrump of yesteryear.

Today Pahrump has since exploded into a desert mecca of 35,000, albeit a working one, unlike the Coachella Valley in California which is in the words of several news organizations writing of the aftermath of President Gerald Ford passing, an "affluent desert playground." It has all the shopping, dining and entertainment trappings that should keep Airyn happy. If that isn't sufficient a short drive away "Las Vegas is calling"-Tanya Roberts.

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 12-31-2006 01:05 PM

Filipinos are among the most adaptable people in the world. I used to live in Northern Nevada, and I know that all of Nevada has a very strong Filipino-American community. Since Pahrump is no longer a lonely desert hamlet, she'll have plenty of community support. It won't be hard for her at all, especially considering her age. She may be feeling lost at first, but she'll assimilate very quickly.

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 12-31-2006 01:23 PM

Thirty-five years ago the quiet desert hamlet of Pahrump in Nye county was mainly known for housing one slightly questionable estabishment at the end of a lonely dirt road, the Chicken Ranch brothel. Adjacent to the establishment was a 3,200 ft. runway that somehow managed to get itself published in the Las Vegas Sectional FAA low altitude VFR chart. During the 1970's and 80's, when the sun went down a tiny fleet of Cessna 206 and 207 Skywagons would shuttle...er...customers from the Hughes terminal (now Signature Aviation) at McCarren International the 60 miles to the Pahrump airstrip. From high altitude you can still see the X's on the closed airstrip next to the brothel. That was Pahrump of yesteryear.

Still a thriving business there, limos make that same run out of Las Vegas now. Mostly to Crystal.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

wcstflyer
Pirate

Post by wcstflyer » 12-31-2006 03:01 PM

Still a thriving business there, limos make that same run out of Las Vegas now. Mostly to Crystal.

Oh no. Isn't Crystal where that hideously unattractive Heidi Fleiss was going to start a brothel for women? What a way to generate tax dollars for Nye county. :rolleyes:

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 01-01-2007 04:06 AM

Filipinos are among the most adaptable people in the world.
I have difficulty trying to comprehend these kinds of 'distinguishing' statements (but I think I know where you're coming from). Why would any "human" be any more or less able to adapt than any other human upon this planet, regardless of any or what so-called group or gang anyone thinks they should belong to? As individuals (and aside from any physical or mental disabilities - and these discriminations invented and prescribed by man upon man), aren't ALL humans essentially created equal, with the only significant and notable difference being whether they are male or female?

If HOME were a fixed singular physical place and spot on this planet, I would think humans would be taking better care of earth, wouldn't they? I mean, after this place has been trashed and turned upside down, where are the humans gonna comfortably hanging their hats next and call home sweet home? If humans can't migrate half way around their little tiny pretty world happily and successfully, then they might as well shut down their little space programs and put all their monies into fixing the earth.

If you can successfully migrate and survive and get along and enjoy yourself anywhere upon your planet with whomever you may meet, then you are a fully functional human capable of maximum flexibility .. and you will have fun wherever you go, here, now, or later .. Art went on an adventure and is living it up and having fun because he knows how and can and wants to. Those that would prefer to hide in their fenced in back yards and go nowhere and do nothing are missing out on a whole lot of exciting exploration and adventure and fun. Home should be wherever we can survive and have fun and enjoy ourselves and that is all that should matter when deciding where to hang ones hat ... In fact, if shouldn't really matter where anyone lives when they are all still on the same single planet .. .. because you are all ultimately just EARTHLINGS and planet EARTH is actually your one and only HOME!

So, who are among the least adaptable people(s) in the world, I wonder? ;) (and what should become of them?ha)

Night_Voyager
Pirate

So happy you're back

Post by Night_Voyager » 01-01-2007 01:20 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Home sweet home is right, loving those webcam pic's from the High Desert.

Welcome home, Art! May 2007 be the best year every for you.
The things you stumble into...late at night...on the radio -- Art Bell

Neamhain
Pirate

Post by Neamhain » 01-01-2007 01:55 PM

I finally had a chance to listen to Art's homecoming show from the other night. He sounds so friggin' HAPPY and that really made me smile while I was listening. This is really a GREAT thing for them both.

Yes, you can go home again. :)
Cuimhnich air na daoine o

Nemo me impune lacesset

HB3

Post by HB3 » 01-01-2007 02:26 PM

Divinorumus wrote: As individuals (and aside from any physical or mental disabilities - and these discriminations invented and prescribed by man upon man), aren't ALL humans essentially created equal, with the only significant and notable difference being whether they are male or female?

No.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 01-01-2007 05:02 PM

Divinorumus wrote: Why would any "human" be any more or less able to adapt than any other human upon this planet, regardless of any or what so-called group or gang anyone thinks they should belong to?

One word: CULTURE.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”