Pirate

Everything you wanted to know about the Philippines

Post by blackark » 04-17-2006 05:10 AM

CIA World Factbook link

Please post other links to sites about the Republic of the Philippines

Rosebud
Pirate

Post by Rosebud » 04-17-2006 09:30 AM

Won't Art be required to have some type of communications liscense to broadcast from where he is going to live?

I wonder if the Philippines just let anyone broadcast from their home?

MAD
Pirate

LUXURY IS AFFORDABLE AND AVAILABLE

Post by MAD » 04-17-2006 10:16 AM

Site contains alot of information on the skyscrapers built for commercial or for residence. Likely Art will reside in one of these new completed ones.

I live in high rise here in Tel Aviv, Israel. We have Cinema, shops, salons, art shops and resaturants located on the first 3 floors.
Security is evident will intercom between desk and apartment with audio and video phone. We have on site mantinence, that is always a good idea. Pool, sauna and workout facility may be just a few of features that Art will be able to enjoy.Parking and heliport and close to everything! A luxury apartment or condo would likely have other luxury amenities.

Many services are available to home sites, deliveries from grocery stores ( you shop they deliver ) to restaurant deliveries, massage and other services such has housekeeping, catering or hair and nail salong services. Veternairans that do home visits.

In Russia, we had a vet that was available to do neutering/spay surgery in your home..........but that is another country!

One may never leave the building......well almost!

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/?id=100391
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein ~

Subbacultcha
Pirate

Post by Subbacultcha » 04-17-2006 10:17 AM

I just hope he doesn't start broadcasting nude, with the windows blacked out, surrounded by jars of his own body waste.......

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 04-17-2006 11:30 AM

Killings, kidnappings, women and child abuse and slave labor, police corruption, voters who can't vote.......rich take over ....poor get nothing.......

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrp...x.cfm?docid=764

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 04-17-2006 12:37 PM

Subbacultcha wrote: I just hope he doesn't start broadcasting nude, with the windows blacked out, surrounded by jars of his own body waste.......
Ouch!:eek:

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 04-17-2006 12:40 PM

tiffany wrote: Killings, kidnappings, women and child abuse and slave labor, police corruption, voters who can't vote.......rich take over ....poor get nothing.......

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrp...x.cfm?docid=764
Can't get to this link tiffany, says it's been taken down. Wonder why? It seems very weird to me. :(

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-17-2006 03:20 PM

Killings, kidnappings, women and child abuse and slave labor, police corruption, voters who can't vote.......rich take over ....poor get nothing.... -tiffany
He should feel right at home. But he better keep his guns. Sounds like he may get to use them there..for real.

Patty, try this one.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2794.htm

Map of Philippines attached below. I highlighted Manila and the city he said him and Airyn said he'd be at -- Cagayan de Oro. I also added some points of reference and the distance to them.

I'm a little confused. He said he'd be doing his show from Manila but that is a long way from where he said he'd be - Cagayan de Oro. Its not a done deal yet so I'm sure the specifics will get clearer as time goes by.
Last edited by Dale O Sea on 04-17-2006 03:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 04-17-2006 03:27 PM

Dale,

I was going to answer in the other thread, you but it was locked before I got the chance.

Sorry.

S

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-17-2006 03:27 PM

I thought Canadian currency was pretty..
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

tiffany
Pirate

Oops.......Patty Try it Now! Art says like living in another

Post by tiffany » 04-17-2006 06:57 PM

Art has said and done a lot politically with regards to his program. What in the heck is he doing........he better watch his back, front and everywhere! Even though this report was done in 2000 our State Dept. still has this stuff up so it must still be going on there.

Not a place, I would like to be........not even to visit......I think the tourist probably does not see a lot of this but it sounds pretty genralized throughout the Country by this report.

snip: 2000 yr report:

"The journalist's radio broadcasts reportedly had angered the police, the military forces, the MILF, and other citizens, who had sued him for libel (see Section 1.a.)." "was killed by gunmen"
"On December 25, a bomb exploded in the home of a radio broadcaster in General Santos City, injuring five persons. The broadcaster, a Muslim scholar, had received death threats for criticism of MILF guerrilla activities.

ASG terrorists captured 16 journalists on Jolo during June and July. All were released after payment of ransom "

snip:
"Trafficking in women and children for forced prostitution and forced labor are problems (see Sections 6.c. and 6.f.)."

"Violence and discrimination against women and abuse of children continued to be serious problems. Discrimination against indigenous people and Muslims persists. The law places restrictions on worker rights. Rural poverty is the major cause of the continuing child labor problem, which the Government has addressed only partially. Forced labor in the informal sector, the practice of using forced underage workers in domestic servitude, and forced child prostitution were problems. Trafficking in women and children was a serious problem."

snip:

"Widespread poverty forces many young children to work." "Forced prostitution and trafficking in children for the purpose of forced prostitution are problems"

snip:

The law does not specifically prohibit trafficking in persons, and trafficking in women and children is a serious problem. The Government used five laws against related illegal commerce to address trafficking. The Philippines is a source, destination, and a transit point for trafficking in persons. Of those persons trafficking through the country, many are from China, bound for Pacific island nations.

snip:

"Police and military forces committed numerous extrajudicial killings. The CHR investigated 115 extrajudicial killings during the first half of the year, compared with 283 in all of 1999. The CHR includes killings by antigovernment insurgents in its investigations. The nongovernmental organization (NGO) Task Force Detainees of the Philippines (TFDP) claimed that as of November 15, 91 civilians were killed for political reasons; 28 of these persons reportedly were victims of extrajudicial executions carried out by government forces.

In combating criminal organizations, police personnel sometimes resorted to summary execution of suspects, or "salvaging." Police spokesmen later reportedly claimed that these killings were an unavoidable result of the exchange of gunfire with suspects or of escape attempts. The CHR reported that members of the PNP were the alleged perpetrators of 27.5 percent of the human rights violations involving deaths that it investigated during the first 6 months of the year.

To curtail police and military abuses, "

snip:

"Members of the security services were responsible for extrajudicial killings, disappearances, torture, and arbitrary arrest and detention. Other physical abuse of suspects and detainees and police corruption remain problems"

snip:

"Government forces were responsible for disappearances"

snip:

"Amnesty International reported that torture was widespread in the country. "

snip:

"In July according to the CHR, PNP officers brutally beat members of a group that had assembled to protest the President's State of the Nation address (see Section 2.b.). "

snip:

"In May a series of bomb detonations in Metro Manila killed one person and injured approximately 30 others "

snip:

"peaceful assembly of persons protesting the President's State of the Nation address. The CHR stated that law enforcement agents had violently deprived activists of their right to conduct a public protest. PNP officers, according to the CHR, brutally beat protesters, including some who had been taken into custody or who posed no threat to officers. At least 10 persons were injured, and 36 persons were arbitrarily arrested and later released without charge."

snip:

"Violence against women, particularly domestic violence, remains a serious societal problem." "The absence of divorce under the law and limited job opportunities combine to limit the ability of both poor and wealthy women to escape destructive relationships." "Many women suffer exposure to violence through their recruitment, often through deception, into prostitution (see Section 6.f.). Although illegal, prostitution remains widespread."
"The Antivagrancy Act often is used by police officers as a pretext to extort money from prostitutes; those unable to pay may be subjected to sexual abuse. Hotel and travel industry leaders continued to refuse to honor their pledges to cooperate with a code endorsed by international tourism groups to stop sex tourism."

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/20 ... ?docid=764
Last edited by tiffany on 04-17-2006 07:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 04-17-2006 07:56 PM

This whole thing..........maybe it's true what Art has always said......nothing is as it seems............

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Mind-blast for Art

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 04-17-2006 07:57 PM

I think we'd better do a mind blast for Art. He'll thank us "in a year from now"....honestly....
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Wingnut's Way
Pirate

Re: Oops.......Patty Try it Now! Art says like living in ano

Post by Wingnut's Way » 04-17-2006 08:55 PM

tiffany wrote: Art has said and done a lot politically with regards to his program. What in the heck is he doing.... *violent snipping sounds*
Yep, a real rough place. And journalists, radio broadcasters are routinely abducted, tortured, and killed in places like this.

It would be a bit easier on the nerves if he brought Airyn here to the states. I must admit that there's something fishy to me about the fact that she doesn't want to move to the States. Almost smells of a setup. But then I don't know... The brain likes to speculate. Hope he'll go there, enjoy life, and be happy. :)

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”