Your first time listening to Art Bell!

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

boogbot
Pirate

Your first time listening to Art Bell!

Post by boogbot » 01-02-2006 01:54 AM

What was it like?

I was 17 and this was back in 97. I had just received my license and inherited the junk car that belonged to my sister.

I think I might have been driving home from a high school football game because it was late at night. I tuned into Art by accident after switching stations from a sports talk show.

His voice alone caught my attention and he was talking about UFO's and aliens, subjects that fascinated me most of my life even at that point. I was in shock and I couldn't believe it!! Here was a radio host that was having a serious converstaion with his guest about a subject that I thought was a just a bunch of whacko but interesting nonsense.

I was hooked from that point on. Looking back, those late-teen years were the best of my life. High school, late night parties, no responsibilities, and having Art Bell was a big plus too. I remember being so bummed out when Mike Seagel replaced Art!!

Art Bell is the greatest!

moonchild2
Pirate

Post by moonchild2 » 01-02-2006 04:59 AM

Back in 2000 I bought a satelite receiver as I live in a remote area on northern Vancouver Island. This not only gave me access to better TV but many radio stations as well.

One night I was laying in bed and just flicking around the stations when I happened upon Art. I had heard about him from a few people who live in the city but could not access him from where I live. I was so happy to have picked him up and listened to the enitre show and was hooked from that moment on.

I had a helluva time getting up for work each day until I discoverd that I could listen to the show from his web site from the night before through my computer at work during the day. Unfortunely they ended that about a year later and made it a pay thing.

But now that he broadcasts only on Sunday night at the end of the month, I can stay up for the entire show. And if I am out for the evening then I listen to the rebroadcast when I get home.

Subbacultcha
Pirate

Post by Subbacultcha » 01-02-2006 05:37 PM

Spring of 1999. The nights guest was Ed Dames(who I now realize is bogus). It was Ed's appearance where he said that he was going to remote view Satan.

Well........I was hooked!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 01-02-2006 11:02 PM

Driving in the High Desert on May 30th. 1994 on my way to San Francisco is the first time I heard Art, and listened to him from a Las Vegas station, static, fading and all until in 95 KSFO started carrying the show. Long time listener and still hooked.

angelgirl
Pirate

Post by angelgirl » 01-03-2006 08:23 PM

In May of 1997 (I think) when I was in my third year of teaching in a small Minnesota town, I chaperoned a band trip to an amusement park. We only had one car at the time, so my husband had to pick me up sometime after midnight. He had been listening to the local talk station during the day, so on the way to the school, he discovered Art and his amazing voice. He knew I would love it because I had been fascinated by paranormal things all my life (I still am!).

We were hooked instantly, and many nights we HAD to stay up to hear, at the very least, "The Chase," Art's intro, and the news of the day. I was moving pretty slowly during first hour most days! I was usually awake by homeroom time. :)

At that time, I had a big ol' alien phobia, so I could only listen to those particular shows for a little while before I had to turn the radio off. Then came the "Frozen ET Burrito Blues." We laughed ourselves silly, and gradually I got over my fear.

"Burrito."
A martini is not a drink; it's a potion.
--John Steinbeck

SilentBlue
Pirate

Post by SilentBlue » 01-03-2006 11:22 PM

If memory serves me correctly, It was in the mid 90's that I found Art Bell.

I had been very sick for almost a year, I spent most of my time laying in bed, I did not know if I would live much longer or not.

I had nothing, I had no phone, no TV, no radio, I very seldom saw anyone as the few true friends I had just couldn't handle seeing me like I was, and their lives were busy, yet when they could, they come by to see me.

The nights seemed the longest, the pain and darkness were so long and empty. One of my friends walked in one day and he was carrying something under his arm, he sat it on the table by my bed and said maybe this will keep you company.

He had brought me an old solid state rat shack receiver, to most It would have been junk, to me It was the greatest thing I had ever seen.

That night I lay in bed and reached over and started slowly moving threw the frequencies, as I roamed threw the channels I heard a voice say something about Eygpt, I stopped and listened, It was Art Bell talking to Zahi Hawass.

It was like I had found a great new friend or found a long lost one, everynight I would listen, everyday I counted the hours till show time.

Art and his show gave me something to look forward to, something to keep me company, something to take my mind off the hell I was in. I will always believe that Art and his show gave me the strength to finally recover and have a life again.

I will always feel like I owe so much to Art, I have always wanted to shake his hand and give him a big hug and say thank you, Art will most likely never know what he did for me and what his work and his show did for me, and I suspect there might just be more like myself out there somewhere, so from me and everyone,

Thanks Art..

Aperson
Pirate

Post by Aperson » 01-10-2006 11:50 AM

I had heard people mention Art for years and had probably tuned in not fully aware of what exactly I was listening to several times, but the first time I heard the show and it "clicked" for me was i think in 98. It was the show about the supposed NASA worker who had fled to a cave because he had information about an asteroid hitting the earth. Richard was there with Art giving a running commentary as the story developed. By the end of the night Art had contacted the man himself and it was found he didn't really have any special information - he had just had a breakdown or something. But wow, what a ride. The show was like nothing I had ever heard - it was like some sort of surreal art piece. It blurred the lines between truth, fiction, myth, science, insanity and genius into a shadowy realm where nothing could be taken at face value but everything made you wonder "what if"...

At that point in time the entire archive of programs was available for FREE on the Internet. I quickly got caught up on many of the classics. Too bad that database is long gone.

Charlette
Pirate

Post by Charlette » 01-12-2006 11:12 PM

This first I listened to Art was back in 1995 during what I call the "Chupacabra period". I was working a late night shift and had switched radio stations. I was hooked immediately - finally something intelligent involving science and the unknown in a respectful format. I look back and yes I was addicted, but what a wonderful addiction.

It has helped me out of my painfully shy shell
and I at least started to meet the researchers and authors - but don't get me started on that burrito guy! :)

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 01-13-2006 08:07 AM

The first time I streamed into C2C there was a discussion between Art, Whitley and members of THE MILLENNIUM GROUP I think this is there new URL http://www.tmgnow.com/ They where talking about the weather and I think the Sun I liked the way Art interviewed and I was hooked on C2C. I think it was in the mid 1990s. OoPs I came across Arts website by accident or maybe some unknown force directed me there whatever it was pure pleasure to hear his shows.
Last edited by Alien_UK on 01-13-2006 08:32 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Krull
Pirate

Post by Krull » 01-13-2006 11:14 AM

I dunno if you all are gonna beleve this but...
I remember Art before he had C2C,back in '86 or '87!! :eek: he didn't talk much of UFO's or whatnot but when he did I would listen! :D

I know it was the station out of Vegas and maybe carryed by KGO out of San Fransico ,I was not quite a teen yet and lived outside Salinas CA;one show he talked of devils or posession that got me to like him....long ago hn?
Traded in my bible for a little black cat
The time of armageddon's here -Misfits-

OriginalAJ
Pirate

Post by OriginalAJ » 01-15-2006 01:53 AM

Late 2000. It had to have been really late 2000, since I remember hearing Art's prediction show a couple weeks later. I can't remember who the guest was, but I vividly remember hearing Art talking about MRI's and how there had been numerous sightings of ghosts and other spirits around them because of their magnetic field. This was such a ground-breaking concept to me, a radio show dedicated to the paranormal, and it was really exciting. Art's voice was so calm and captivating, and I knew at that point that I wanted to hear it again and again.

I was pulled in immediately and couldn't stop listening, but I was sure that it was just some sort of special, one time only show and that I'd never hear that type of discussion on a nationally syndicated radio program ever again. Little did I know what I had just happened upon.

I only wish I had caught him a few years earlier, as everyone always talks about '96-'98 as the "golden era" of C2C. What I wouldn't do to go back in time and hear the legendary "Phoenix Lights" show live. I'm sure it was a priceless experience.
Last edited by OriginalAJ on 01-15-2006 01:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-11-2013 09:02 PM

Krull wrote: I dunno if you all are gonna beleve this but...
I remember Art before he had C2C,back in '86 or '87!!
Yes thats when I remember first listening to him. Either in the 80s or 90s and I liked what I heard!!!!!!!

Its really sad whats happend to Art,he is one of the few GOOD radio talk hosts out there!!

I love you Art!!!!!!

Al Bowman
Pirate

Post by Al Bowman » 05-29-2014 02:37 PM

I have been away from the board for a long time due to various personal reasons. I just saw this thread and wanted to add my first experience listening to him. I had found Courtney Brown's book in a KMART, bought it, and was fascinated. I looked him up on the internet and found links to Art Bell, who I had NEVER heard of. I found out that he broadcast in my city, and taped the first show on cassette tapes. I would wake up and change the tapes! The first time I heard his voice he was talking about Ramona and then interviewed Peter Davenport. I ended up with over 200 cassette tapes of the various shows over the years. I have two versacorders and still use them occasionally when George Knapp hosts. I gave up on George Noory.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-30-2014 03:51 PM

Hey Now Al, great t'see ya back on board! Be sure to drop by the Galley for some welcome-back grub and grog.

Anayhoo, for my part I only first caught up with Art on "Dreamland" circa '95 - So much I was hooked and soon started tuning in C2C as well, as it is if Art returned with a similar once-a-weekend gig that'd suit me just fine :)

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”