Keith's view of Fantastic Forum posted

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Keith's view of Fantastic Forum posted

Post by Guest » 02-09-2003 08:03 PM

I see over at Keith's pay message board his sister (SysMon) posted about the Fantastic Forum yesterday:

<< It is not just that they are competing with gototalk, Dollarmtn. It is more that they have been so mean and belittling of Keith and anything that he does while they were stealing content from the site. They brag about their being pirates, what kind of ethics is that? It is not like we are deleting mentions of them for no reason. The post that I deleted was worded as a commercial and that has always been against our terms of service. Just wanted to clear that up. >>

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 02-09-2003 09:33 PM

And so it begins.

KR has lost, I would think, a significant portion of his income stream with the demise of artbell.com.

The fact that he is now competing in a marketplace with boards in many stages of development, some for fee, some for free, is not going to be a comfortable transition for anyone. And to top it off, he is even offering a service which is competing with a "for fee" service started by the same company that showed him the door.

As for me, I'm happy here and I really dislike evanegelizing anything. It's like 2 turnups debating which one has the biggest top.

[This message has been edited by eliza_nightvoice (edited 09 February 2003).]

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-09-2003 09:37 PM

We can assume, then, that Keith has complained bitterly to Art about his mention of FF... which, somehow, nobody was able to delete.

Heckova way to do business.

Hey, Keith! I've been a supporter of yours, but a word of advice here: compete. You are dealing with paying customers, FF isn't. If you can't be better than FF, you shouldn't be taking people's money. Attempting to compete by deleting posts just ain't gonna work... do it because you are pissed off, yes... do it to cut down on competition and you are toast.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Kevin
Pirate

Post by Kevin » 02-09-2003 10:49 PM

So if that's what Keith really thinks...he and Art are friends...why is Art promoting FF?

Is FF being played for a chump?

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 09 February 2003).]

Vert
Pirate

Post by Vert » 02-10-2003 12:03 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BadBoy:
I see over at Keith's pay message board his sister (SysMon) posted about the Fantastic Forum yesterday:

<< It is not just that they are competing with gototalk, Dollarmtn. It is more that they have been so mean and belittling of Keith and anything that he does while they were stealing content from the site. They brag about their being pirates, what kind of ethics is that? It is not like we are deleting mentions of them for no reason. The post that I deleted was worded as a commercial and that has always been against our terms of service. Just wanted to clear that up. >>
</font>
I find this funny. Especially this " They brag about their being pirates, " I think they are meaning software pirates or something. lol.
I feel that keith is incompetent anyways. I'm not puting him down, just saying what I've noted over the years. Image

-ES

------------------

Captain Fantastic
DREAD PIRATE

Post by Captain Fantastic » 02-10-2003 01:08 AM

For the record. Fantastic Forum is not competing with Go to Talk. It's probably much the other way around as the Fantastic Forum has been online for almost three years and GTT is a fairly recent venture. Also, FF is a not for profit venture.

The admn at Fantastic Forum has no quarrel with Mr Rowland, or his GTT forum. Mr Rowland was an excellent webmaster for Art Bell for many years. In many ways he was the one who 'pioneered' the interactive internet forum with talk radio. He gets credit for 'creating' the genre.

Also for the record - the Fantastic Forum has never 'stolen' any content belonging to Mr Rowland. We have a few images that come under fair use policies - mostly PR stuff that has wide circulation on the internet, and a webcam image property of AB which we used with permission.

About the ethics of Pirates - ask Art Bell. He says he is ' a pirate at heart'. Art's very first radio show was an illegal (altho' sanctioned by the military) 'pirate broadcast' KMED in Amarillo TX, which was on the air for a year. It somehow showed up in the Arbitron ratings that year, as the show was extremely popular off the Air Force base of its intended audience in nearby Amarillo. Ha ha. Then all hell broke loose! - and Art was forced to shut it down. Sounds about right for Art, I'd say.

dollarmtn
Pirate

Post by dollarmtn » 02-10-2003 01:21 AM

Thanks for the clarification(s)

In that thread, there were people stating that they would be unable to continue their *paid* subscriptions to the GTT forum. I mentioned the FF as a free alternative, so people simply would not be left out in the cold, by the Rowlands, when their subscriptions expired. Id hate to see Art Bell fans wander aimlessly on the cyber sea's, when there is a warm cabin for them on the pirate ship Fantastic.

------------------
"I occasionally think how quickly, our differences worldwide would vanish, if we were facing an alien threat, from outside this world. And yet, I ask you, is not an alien force already among us?"
~ Former United States President - Ronald W. Reagan

dollarmtn - Still Taking A Ride!

[This message has been edited by dollarmtn (edited 09 February 2003).]
dollarmtn

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. " ~ Henry David Thoreau

Vert
Pirate

Post by Vert » 02-10-2003 01:54 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Fantastic:
For the record. Fantastic Forum is not competing with Go to Talk. It's probably much the other way around as the Fantastic Forum has been online for almost three years and GTT is a fairly recent venture. Also, FF is a not for profit venture.

The admn at Fantastic Forum has no quarrel with Mr Rowland, or his GTT forum. Mr Rowland was an excellent webmaster for Art Bell for many years. In many ways he was the one who 'pioneered' the interactive internet forum with talk radio. He gets credit for 'creating' the genre.

Also for the record - the Fantastic Forum has never 'stolen' any content belonging to Mr Rowland. We have a few images that come under fair use policies - mostly PR stuff that has wide circulation on the internet, and a webcam image property of AB which we used with permission.

About the ethics of Pirates - ask Art Bell. He says he is ' a pirate at heart'. Art's very first radio show was an illegal (altho' sanctioned by the military) 'pirate broadcast' KMED in Amarillo TX, which was on the air for a year. It somehow showed up in the Arbitron ratings that year, as the show was extremely popular off the Air Force base of its intended audience in nearby Amarillo. Ha ha. Then all hell broke loose! - and Art was forced to shut it down. Sounds about right for Art, I'd say.
</font>
Are you RC? I've been trying to figure that out. Image

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 02-10-2003 02:47 AM

I can see why the GTT forum would not want plugs for other forums to be posted in those circumstances. It is not good nettiquette.

Hilda Sophia
Pirate

Post by Hilda Sophia » 02-10-2003 06:22 AM

I am rather amused that Keith feels we have been mean and belittling of him. He must have forgotten the times he treated us that way.

I started posting on the Art Bell site in 1998. When Keith suddenly shut down the message board, I emailed him and asked if he was going to keep the Guest List up because I used that as a resource.

His reply was irrational. He accused me of being sarcastic which wasn't the case at all. I had asked a simple question. I don't know why he over-reacted.

[This message has been edited by Hilda Sophia (edited 10 February 2003).]

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 02-10-2003 09:56 AM

Keith has never been a "nice guy." Art liked him because he ran a tight ship, but even he got impatient with him from time to time.

Quite some time back, there was an e-mail list Keith ran. He insisted on reading and censoring every message before posting it to the list, and this would usually create a delay of up to a day before a message you sent would get posted.

When a war broke out over his style, he simply cancelled the list and took his toys home. Art stuck with him out of loyalty when he returned to the air last time, but I wonder if he'll stick with Keith during the next incarnation.

------------------
Rick Jackson

dollarmtn
Pirate

Post by dollarmtn » 02-10-2003 11:05 AM

Honestly, I dont think there was any love lost between Art and Keith. Art plugged this forum several times in the last of his shows. I heard him give Keiths site one shout out, only because a caller mentioned it.

------------------
"I occasionally think how quickly, our differences worldwide would vanish, if we were facing an alien threat, from outside this world. And yet, I ask you, is not an alien force already among us?"
~ Former United States President - Ronald W. Reagan

dollarmtn - Still Taking A Ride!
dollarmtn

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. " ~ Henry David Thoreau

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 02-10-2003 03:06 PM

I always thought the artbell website was 5 years behind the times as far as design and coding went. There were persistent errors for the entire lifetime of the site.

Keith was nothing special, he just was in the right place at the right time.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Ginger
Pirate

Post by Ginger » 02-10-2003 04:55 PM

he suspended me when i FIRST JOINED for putting my site (just the url Not a promo!)
url as my signature....suspended me without even a note asking me to take it off! also he said i was using too many CAPITAL LETTERS
AND that i was QUOTING TOO MANY LINES OF A POST when i answered...
dammmmm it was awful and i had to aplogize to get back in ...AND THAT was when i was PAYING!
stupid me

then i found this heaven here.......lol

by the way i just went there to read all of this is it all gone or just one post?????

[This message has been edited by Ginger (edited 10 February 2003).]
ginger
"it's off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of art!!, wanna take a ride????"

Kenia
Pirate

Post by Kenia » 02-10-2003 05:24 PM

I will make no excuses for Keith as we each have had our own meeting of the minds and came away with an opinion.
benner I know you are a very talented and up cutting edge webmaster. I applaud your site..
Ginger I remember when we had many folks coming at us from every direction, and you just wouldn't believe what ends people would go to (actually make themselves look like a perfect ass) to self promote.. Be it their product or a "come on over to my site and ......." early on I get pretty reactionary and after one (not so gentle) nudge the next move was an invitation for them to forget they ever came to the board..
We had a group who every body with a computer was trying to take advantage of and I felt like the great protector...
Not to excuse ANY transgressions Keith has
laid on you.. I hope you appreciate that when people are coming at you hot and heavy, you sometimes react like you did the last time you blew our stack.
I literally begged the group to leave ANY trace of self promotion OUT...
and by god, I would get these " Oh John you should just try X it does wonders for X and this is not a plug but my site is .. yada yada .. GOD IT GETS OLD. .I just want to say that when Art went his way, Keith was there to console many of us who were pretty wiped out. And I know he was really wiped out to. I hearken back to a black day or two when Keith stopped his busy world that was crashing in and around him, and was really open and kind to those he could see were flying to close to the ground. But we all have different dimensions we meet in. Keith will learn... but just like anyone he has to scramble to crack the nut too.
Just my experience as I think that he is capable of a lot more cell to cell communication than the folks who replaced him. . .
Kenia
But I can't wait for ever . . . I
Kenia

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”