Big Changes After Server Disaster

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Big Changes After Server Disaster

Post by Fan » 09-24-2015 12:48 PM

OK well, hopefully you will find us here again now.

I had to go ahead with the forum change I have been threatening. Finally the version of PHP/MYSQL used on modern servers no longer will run vb2 and I could not hack it to do so.

Therefore we are now on a modern platform, the open source and free software called phpbb. I am sure some will like it and some will hate it, but we are pretty much stuck with it now.

There will be lots of work to do. I intend to make the forum look like it used to (it is simply using the default phpbb skin right now since I have not had time to work on that). This takes time, considerable time, so it will be an ongoing project over the next few months.

The good news is everything seems to have been preserved. I managed to import all posts, users, message, avatars, smilies, etc... from a software written in 2001 to one from 2015. Pretty astonishing really. Kudos to the converter script writers at phpbb (note that there are simply no converters to any other platform that I could find, although my choice would always be phpbb anyways - open source is always better).

If you have major problems with anything please contact me via PM or email. You can also start a thread in the tech deck or the community deck to discuss or bitch or praise, however the mood strikes you :coolhat:

I promised to keep this ship afloat, and this was a necessary step to make that possible.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

SquidInk

Re: Big Changes After Server Disaster

Post by SquidInk » 09-24-2015 01:35 PM

Cool ~ way to keep the ship afloat, Fan. Now, lets get back to being adrift.
Last edited by SquidInk on 09-24-2015 09:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-24-2015 01:40 PM

I see the bots found us. No problem there. :mrgreen:

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-24-2015 01:53 PM

Hey now, thanks for the fast work Fan!

Funny, it was only 15 days ago I'd posed the possibility of a SW update... could be the Internet Gremlins took it as an opening to force the issue!?
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Fan
Lady with a

Re:

Post by Fan » 09-24-2015 02:42 PM

Riddick wrote:Hey now, thanks for the fast work Fan!

Funny, it was only 15 days ago I'd posed the possibility of a SW update... could be the Internet Gremlins took it as an opening to force the issue!?
Ahah so I can blame you for jinxing us? :P
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Sean_in_Montreal
Pirate

Post by Sean_in_Montreal » 09-24-2015 02:57 PM

Good to see the place back up and running.
"I believe in keeping an open mind, but not so open that my brains spill out."(unknown)

Riddick
Pirate

I'll Take The Responsibility, But Not The Blame

Post by Riddick » 09-24-2015 03:16 PM

Fan wrote:
Riddick wrote:Hey now, thanks for the fast work Fan!

Ahah so I can blame you for jinxing us? :P
Well, insofar SecretWindows first suggested state-of-the-Art SW as an issue, IMHO it'd be unfair for his contribution to be ignored... :D ;)
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 09-24-2015 03:28 PM

Thank You so much Fan! Can't believe how fast you got the Ship going again. :D Going to take a bit of getting used to.

I like the idea of the "skin" change, but sounds like a lot of work for you.

Thank You Sooo much..........Doka.......
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-24-2015 03:44 PM

Ideally I want the place to look like it used to. Bear with me and we'll get her back to normal soon enough.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-24-2015 06:36 PM

Once we clean the poop deck and get things shipshape we'll send out a relaunch email and try and convince some of these scurvy dogs to come christen the ship with some grog. I think Squid has some around still.

Sean_in_Montreal
Pirate

Post by Sean_in_Montreal » 09-24-2015 07:18 PM

I know its a long job Fan but the sooner you change the skin the better. It looks too much like that imposter FF. :)
"I believe in keeping an open mind, but not so open that my brains spill out."(unknown)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 09-24-2015 11:28 PM

Insofar the impostor FF has a rep for going down for weeks at a time, we're more than fortunate Fan doesn't have a similar devil-may-care attitute towards putting things right!

In any case if he comes by before Fan makes it all better, no doubt The Dude will be surprised; seeing anything but the customary skin and layout could send him into apoplectic shock.

-Donald Trump Image

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 09-24-2015 11:50 PM

Check in with us Dude! Let us know you didn't deep six yourself.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 09-25-2015 05:35 AM

Thanks for saving the ship Fan. Tried logging-on the old site and thought that senility had finally kicked-in because my log-on kept failing.......
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 09-25-2015 07:00 AM

SquidInk wrote:Check in with us Dude! Let us know you didn't deep six yourself.

hehe yep

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”