Archives

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Archives

Post by Fan » 05-19-2011 03:03 PM

I am working on opening the archive threads back up. I rearranged some of them, and am trying to make it easier to find old threads. I think this is a huge strength of this forum, the history it holds. Enjoy.

If you have suggestions on how better to structure things, fire away!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-20-2011 11:25 PM

Yes alot of good threads on those bases! (I just replied to one)

Im glad you brought them back my friend :)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-23-2011 12:11 PM

See if you can find threads dating back before 2003 that reference former Pirate - Julie and ones contain her posts. Some here have expressed interest in renewing those old memories.

Yeah..the archives are precious cargo. Books could (and should) be written.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

dotcosm
Pirate

Those archives are gold, pure gold

Post by dotcosm » 05-23-2011 03:20 PM

Do you mean the pre-2003 ones? Wow, I thought those were gone for good!

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-23-2011 03:23 PM

i ould like to see those to figure out when I sign in. I know it was 2000 becuase i couldn't get into the new forum they set up so I had to change to turtle101.....yuck!!! i like just turtle
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 05-23-2011 04:38 PM

Oh I hope the pre-2003s are still here somewhere. They were just too good to be lost. :eek:

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 05-23-2011 05:43 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: See if you can find threads dating back before 2003 that reference former Pirate - Julie and ones contain her posts. Some here have expressed interest in renewing those old memories.

Oh yeah, And pull out those fights I had with "Carl Green" while you're digging! I LOVE to re-live old memories! :D :D I seem to remember it was HIM fighting ME and not so much me responding, but my memory could be flawed! I was still a cyber-warfare- virgin back in the day! :D :D
Last edited by Patty on 05-23-2011 05:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

SvladCjelli

Post by SvladCjelli » 05-23-2011 10:03 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: See if you can find threads dating back before 2003 that reference former Pirate - Julie and ones contain her posts. Some here have expressed interest in renewing those old memories.

I was here and active at the time, I remember it well, I was involved in exposing them AFAIK. I will look for it, I have ALOT to look for lol!
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't following you...

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-24-2011 11:04 AM

SvladCjelli wrote: I was here and active at the time, I remember it well, I was involved in exposing them AFAIK. I will look for it, I have ALOT to look for lol!
Yes, after reading a bit, it seems it happened in Jan. 2003 - I got here in April. Looking back I can see why as a noob I got some odd questions about who I was. ..lol

Our man, Riddick dug up a link and made a fine post worth pasting in here:
Originally posted by Riddick
Hey Now Dale! In reference to your reply here to HB3's request for elaboration on the Julie/GN free-for-all I'll have to say for someone who wasn't a member at the time of the original incident, you have a dang good grasp of the basic essentials of what-all went on back then. BTW, for anyone who's interested, though naught of the dust-up THREAD itself is directly evident presently via search, access to the thread with the only two postings from 'Julie' that otherwise remain intact and extant online is just one click away --

thank god, some sanity on this board

Just as it is I wish I could remember more in detail about the thread where "Julie" went ballistic. With all the figuratively-speaking blood-spatters and bits of flesh and bone having been scrubbed from the decks sometime after the event and unavailable as it is for viewing at the moment, to whatever degree its expurgation wasn't total and its restoration for posterity and preservation is still a possibility, perhaps in his efforts to open up and rearrange the archives Our Man Fan'll come across it...

One snippet I CAN recall in some detail is, after directing a stab my way with "Riddick, are you a girl or a boy?" (in face of info coming to light later as to its source, an ironic question), my retort was "Yes, I am one or the other" - I believe that then became the extent of any exchange I had with 'Julie,' though with all attempts at injury via insult falling flat in my case, s/he directed the force of further attention in that regard fully at the other pirates who had replied to my joke/thread, along with those others who were coming in to defend all the FFolks who were having their characters besmirched left and right.

In the wake of the 'great reveal' as related to us all by R.C. that the IP address for the posts' origin could be linked to GN, I believe "Julie" in effect stated as the man's DAUGHTER, she had felt compelled to defend her FATHER's honor in face of all the character besmirching being directed at HIM at that time at the FF.

Beyond that, in an additional irony to the situation, just as I recall upon exposure there were a number of pirates who took a complete 180 turn, giving 'Julie' and/or her paterfamilias all the sycophantic praise and lauding that anyone could want - which, in turn, turned the stomachs of a number of OTHER pirates that could in no way as part of their personalities, develop an instantaneous compulsion to be so gracious as to gratuitously and ceremoniously apply their tongues to the boots of s/he who had just previously put in such a painstakingly copious effort to rip individual members, the FF crew in general and the entire ship as an online community a new one.

Now, I'm not sure if there were any pirates that actually stopped posting as a consequence of the incident, but I do know that the ship did experience one of the more significant schisms it has had to endure in the course of its history - just as memory serves, and if the profile count of 25 posts total for 'Julie' is indeed correct? So far the infamous dust-up goes, I'll say pound-for-pound and punch-for-punch, I'd have a tough time naming another similarly-sized sequential subset of posts from any sole (??) poster in any one thread or topic having a greater crater-creating "meteor strike" style impact on the ship either before, or possibly since.

Of course, the preceding missive is only as reliable as my memory retrieval and the story is shaped by my perspective, relative to what occurred - and as always FFolks, YMMV when it comes to personal opinion - But hey look, while we've all got 'em, and while they may not all be worth sharing? If you ask me it's TRULY GREAT when pirates, in the course of possessing and using a permit to post and opine can feel reasonably free to both possess and to express WITHOUT fear of any repercussion and reprobation, KnowhutImean! ;)

p.s. DYK the name Julie means 'Downy haired'?
Speaking of hair - a pic, and this post of yours
from the thread you made mention of, Dale -

Now I ask you, FFolks 'n y'all be honest now
...Hard to believe 'A Boy Named Julie', annit? :D

I've heard truth can be stranger than fiction..

George says that, heh.

You can't make this stuff up.:cool:

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”