Welcome to FF's new home

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Welcome to FF's new home

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 02:30 PM

Hi gang,

I would like to announce that fantasticforum.com is now on a new server.

The forum is not going anywhere, nor is it changing.

I intend to maintain FF indefinitely and to do my best to pay hommage to Linnea and everyone who made this place great.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, with any questions or concerns you may have. You can email me directly at [email protected].

I hope we can all make this work, I am willing to do what it takes to keep the FF alive and well.

With that said, as you were pirates! YAAAAR!

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 05-09-2011 03:39 PM

Who are you?
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 03:53 PM

Saharaka wrote: Who are you?

I have an account here as svladcjelli.

However, I am here as a technical person, not as a moderator or anything of the sort.

I may post occasionally, but in general I would like to see the forum continue as it was, and simply try to keep it running smoothly. This is an important place, and I will not let it go away.

I have paid for the forum, and I am hosting it on my own bill. I hope this goes some way to convince people that my intentions are good.

Again, I welcome any feedback, about me or the forum: [email protected]

SCDee
Pirate

Post by SCDee » 05-09-2011 07:23 PM

Thank you for your technical help Fan :)
Dee

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-09-2011 07:43 PM

None of the smilies are working right now....

Lets hope to get that fixed Straight away!!

Thank you for hosting this site svladcjelli!!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-09-2011 08:39 PM

The FF has landed in the hands of a master shipwright - and a fellow traveler.

Hoist the Black Flag & hands on your cutlasses!
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-09-2011 09:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-09-2011 08:53 PM

Saharaka wrote: Who are you?

Hi Fan / svladcjelli, not to sound ungrateful - but you really have not answered the question quoted above.

As I am sure you know, each of us who have continued to frequent this forum had a strong connection with Linnea as a person. It was often out of deep loyalty to her that we continued to post here on this forum. Not only that, but it was out of strong loyalty to each other that we remained here as a community.

"svladcjelli" reads as nothing but a random sequence of letters.

Let me try to explain what I mean:

"Ironsgold" is not a random sequence of letters. She met "Biker" (also not a random sequence of letters) via people on this forum and they began an amazing relationship that has on more than one occasion been the talk of this forum. It was before my time here, but I certainly heard about it. It's an awesome bit of Fantastic Forum history.

"Live365" is not a random sequence of letters and numbers either, Live has awesome taste in music and is often first to pop up and sound the alarm to make sure everyone is alright if she feels their is trouble in the Fantastic Forum neighborhood that we inhabit.

"Beansidhe" is not a random sequence of numbers either. Beansidhe loves & shares a home with some amazing Bearded Dragons, lives on Long Island, has a Husband who writes amazing plays, and still listens to Coast To Coast fairly regularly during Art's replays.

"Setislady" is no random sequence of letters either. Setislady is a resident of Florida, is actively engaged in the business community and gets personally engaged in participating in the issues that she feels are important so that our planet can be a better place to live for all of us.

"RaceHorse" lives in Kentucy, where the letters aren't random either (despite the protestations of Rombaldi). He has a very strong relationship with both Live365 and Setislady. Race also happens to be the legal expert on this ship, and keeps everyone up to date with perspectives and news from political sources that perhaps some here don't actively go out of their way to read. RaceHorse is a Republican who believes in his party while being respectful & open-minded towards the views of others.

"Rombaldi" is no random sequence of letters either. His handle can often be found interacting with RaceHorse. He is a Democrat, despises the modern Republican party with a passion. Shares news, statistics, and perspectives just as RaceHorse does, from sources that many of us miss in our daily internet travels. He is loved by many here.

"Cherry Kelly", another set of letters that are not very random. Often a foil to Rombaldi. Cherry Kelly is also an author, and is deeply skeptical of just about everyone in government. It is suspected that Cherry Kelly is a big fan of conservative talk radio. It is known that Cherry Kelly is concerned about the direction our country is headed in, and like everyone else wishes to see it improve. Cherry Kelly probably has the thickest skin of everyone on this forum, never takes anything personally (at least publicly) and is known for her loyalty to this community.

"HB3" is not a random sequences of letters and numbers despite the appearance of his handle. He is one of the more polarizing figures on this board, and perhaps revels in that. He is well-informed, and is most often found engaged in one of two very different types of conversations: A) Arguments with the boards Progressives that are dominated by one-liners B) Extremely intellectual conversations (often with Linnea & SquidInk) that frankly go way over the head of many of us here. HB3 is also a musician & author who has shared his love of music & books here with this community.

"ShirleyPal" is certainly no random sequence of letters and numbers either. Well known by her real name, Shirley, she is probably Art Bell's biggest fan. She hosts the live show chats, is very interested in ancient archeology, loves books and classic movies.

"Rumike", also no random sequence of letters. An informed, personable guy, in to politics, identifies with Progressives. He is known to be a fan of Alan Parsons Project, works in the sciences, and is also a musician.

"Megman", amazingly enough, also not a random sequence of letters. He probably has the best sense of humor on this whole forum, is a bit of a tech guru for all of us. Used to use the greatest ostrich avatar ever created. I think he drives a zamboni. He lives in Canada.

The letters "Kaztronic" aren't random either. "Kaztronic" = Scott. I live in Brooklyn, am in to politics, used to run a Borders book store. I tend to post late at night, and have been known simultaneously as a Republican, Independent, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal, argumentative, bitter, sensitive, nasty, emotional, cold, caring, funny, not funny, etc.... I really get in to strange movies, and oldies. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm also known for being a tad Long-winded on occasion. I am also a fan of using lots of dashes when I type.

Each of the people associated with the sequences of letters detailed above is a part of a community, a deeply loyal, caring, tight-knit community. There are of course plenty of others I didn't even get to mentioning (I'm not as long-winded as I used to be I guess): Joolz, Corvid, Janus, SquidInk, Westborder, Starrmtn, RaggedyAnn, Bobbi Snow, PsychicWolf, etc...... Each has a wonderful, unique story.

Fan / Svladcjelli however is just a random sequence of letters.

That is not meant as a sign of disrespect, but it is a reality as applied to this community (which will live on with, or without this website - Linnea's vision intact). How can a random sequence of letters expect the community detailed above to simply pick up where they left off?

Who are you?

If you don't get what I'm saying, then you just wasted a good deal of money buying this forum. If you do get it, then you've got a good deal of work to do if you expect to keep this forum operating as anything other than random people assembling random sequences of letters on the computer screens before them. That work starts with answering the question quoted above.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-09-2011 09:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 09:06 PM

OK, "svladcjelli" is not a random sequence of letters, I have over 600 posts here and joined in 2003 I believe. I have had both good and bad encounters here, a good one was JoeQuinn, whom I considered a close friend. We conversed personally many times, and I was really torn up when he passed. I know most of you, not personally of course, but maybe that can change. I hope it will. Both Sean (in montreal) and Squidink know we rather well, among others.

I do not usually give out personal info online, although astute searchers can find out whatever they want, I am aware. I am a guy, from Montreal, Quebec. I am late 30s, bearded, and love nature. I spent most of the day gardening. I play guitar. I am a geek.

I like this place, alot. I always have. I think it is an important place.

I did start a thread on the brig for questions, but I don't mind where we discuss it, as long as we can agree that the FF is the thing that matters here.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-09-2011 09:21 PM

Montreal is a lovely city, and beards are in these days - and yes, JoeQuinn was an awesome guy.

I'm a little upset these days with the state of the forum - so you'll have to forgive me. I'm gonna tap in to the argumentative, bitter, nasty, cold, not funny part of me for a second and ask why you left this forum after 600 or so posts? Were you close with Linnea? Would she be pleased to see the forum in your hands? Did you get feedback from any of the community members here prior to taking over Linnea's forum & vision? Are you involved in any other... projects? Would those.... projects in any way potentially influence Linnea's forum?

Yes, it is an important place - with much meaning for many of us, you'll have to forgive those of us who defend it as such.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-09-2011 09:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 09:25 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Montreal is a lovely city, and beards are in these days - and yes, JoeQuinn was an awesome guy.

I'm a little upset these days with the state of the forum - so you'll have to forgive me. I'm gonna tap in to the argumentative, bitter, nasty, cold, not funny part of me for a second and ask why you left this forum after 600 or so posts? Were you close with Linnea, would she be pleased to see the forum in your hands? Are you involved in any other... projects? Would those.... projects in any way potentially influence Linnea's forum?

I was never planked. You can see I came and posted for both Joe and Linnea. I do not know what she wanted, I never heard her say, but I can assume that since this forum ran for the same way for so long, she would want that to continue.

I did at one point join another forum. I do participate alot at that place, and I am the technical person there. I do not anticipate this will be a problem, but if anyone thinks otherwise, I would be happy to hear.

Sean_in_Montreal
Pirate

Post by Sean_in_Montreal » 05-09-2011 09:32 PM

I have known Fan for a long time. What he calls himself, his "handle" is irrelevant.

He is a man of ethics and has nothing but good intentions for this place. He bought this place to preserve the database and therefore preserve it as the first Coast based forum, and to keep it going.

Considering the "other" interest in buying this forum, you guys don't know how lucky you are that Fan is now the owner. He's very techie and i'm certain he will fix it up and update it.

Because of him this ship will keep on sailing.

:)
"I believe in keeping an open mind, but not so open that my brains spill out."(unknown)

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 05-09-2011 09:36 PM

Fan wrote: OK, "svladcjelli" is not a random sequence of letters, I have over 600 posts here and joined in 2003 I believe. I have had both good and bad encounters here, a good one was JoeQuinn, whom I considered a close friend. We conversed personally many times, and I was really torn up when he passed. I know most of you, not personally of course, but maybe that can change. I hope it will. Both Sean (in montreal) and Squidink know we rather well, among others.

I do not usually give out personal info online, although astute searchers can find out whatever they want, I am aware. I am a guy, from Montreal, Quebec. I am late 30s, bearded, and love nature. I spent most of the day gardening. I play guitar. I am a geek.

I like this place, alot. I always have. I think it is an important place.

I did start a thread on the brig for questions, but I don't mind where we discuss it, as long as we can agree that the FF is the thing that matters here.

Svlad Cjelli, also known as Dirk Cjelli or Dirk Gently, is a fictional character created by Douglas Adams, the author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 10:03 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Hi Fan / svladcjelli, not to sound ungrateful - but you really have not answered the question quoted above.

As I am sure you know, each of us who have continued to frequent this forum had a strong connection with Linnea as a person. It was often out of deep loyalty to her that we continued to post here on this forum. Not only that, but it was out of strong loyalty to each other that we remained here as a community.

"svladcjelli" reads as nothing but a random sequence of letters.

Let me try to explain what I mean:

"Ironsgold" is not a random sequence of letters. She met "Biker" (also not a random sequence of letters) via people on this forum and they began an amazing relationship that has on more than one occasion been the talk of this forum. It was before my time here, but I certainly heard about it. It's an awesome bit of Fantastic Forum history.

"Live365" is not a random sequence of letters and numbers either, Live has awesome taste in music and is often first to pop up and sound the alarm to make sure everyone is alright if she feels their is trouble in the Fantastic Forum neighborhood that we inhabit.

"Beansidhe" is not a random sequence of numbers either. Beansidhe loves & shares a home with some amazing Bearded Dragons, lives on Long Island, has a Husband who writes amazing plays, and still listens to Coast To Coast fairly regularly during Art's replays.

"Setislady" is no random sequence of letters either. Setislady is a resident of Florida, is actively engaged in the business community and gets personally engaged in participating in the issues that she feels are important so that our planet can be a better place to live for all of us.

"RaceHorse" lives in Kentucy, where the letters aren't random either (despite the protestations of Rombaldi). He has a very strong relationship with both Live365 and Setislady. Race also happens to be the legal expert on this ship, and keeps everyone up to date with perspectives and news from political sources that perhaps some here don't actively go out of their way to read. RaceHorse is a Republican who believes in his party while being respectful & open-minded towards the views of others.

"Rombaldi" is no random sequence of letters either. His handle can often be found interacting with RaceHorse. He is a Democrat, despises the modern Republican party with a passion. Shares news, statistics, and perspectives just as RaceHorse does, from sources that many of us miss in our daily internet travels. He is loved by many here.

"Cherry Kelly", another set of letters that are not very random. Often a foil to Rombaldi. Cherry Kelly is also an author, and is deeply skeptical of just about everyone in government. It is suspected that Cherry Kelly is a big fan of conservative talk radio. It is known that Cherry Kelly is concerned about the direction our country is headed in, and like everyone else wishes to see it improve. Cherry Kelly probably has the thickest skin of everyone on this forum, never takes anything personally (at least publicly) and is known for her loyalty to this community.

"HB3" is not a random sequences of letters and numbers despite the appearance of his handle. He is one of the more polarizing figures on this board, and perhaps revels in that. He is well-informed, and is most often found engaged in one of two very different types of conversations: A) Arguments with the boards Progressives that are dominated by one-liners B) Extremely intellectual conversations (often with Linnea & SquidInk) that frankly go way over the head of many of us here. HB3 is also a musician & author who has shared his love of music & books here with this community.

"ShirleyPal" is certainly no random sequence of letters and numbers either. Well known by her real name, Shirley, she is probably Art Bell's biggest fan. She hosts the live show chats, is very interested in ancient archeology, loves books and classic movies.

"Rumike", also no random sequence of letters. An informed, personable guy, in to politics, identifies with Progressives. He is known to be a fan of Alan Parsons Project, works in the sciences, and is also a musician.

"Megman", amazingly enough, also not a random sequence of letters. He probably has the best sense of humor on this whole forum, is a bit of a tech guru for all of us. Used to use the greatest ostrich avatar ever created. I think he drives a zamboni. He lives in Canada.

The letters "Kaztronic" aren't random either. "Kaztronic" = Scott. I live in Brooklyn, am in to politics, used to run a Borders book store. I tend to post late at night, and have been known simultaneously as a Republican, Independent, Democrat, Conservative, Liberal, argumentative, bitter, sensitive, nasty, emotional, cold, caring, funny, not funny, etc.... I really get in to strange movies, and oldies. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm also known for being a tad Long-winded on occasion. I am also a fan of using lots of dashes when I type.

Each of the people associated with the sequences of letters detailed above is a part of a community, a deeply loyal, caring, tight-knit community. There are of course plenty of others I didn't even get to mentioning (I'm not as long-winded as I used to be I guess): Joolz, Corvid, Janus, SquidInk, Westborder, Starrmtn, RaggedyAnn, Bobbi Snow, PsychicWolf, etc...... Each has a wonderful, unique story.

Fan / Svladcjelli however is just a random sequence of letters.

That is not meant as a sign of disrespect, but it is a reality as applied to this community (which will live on with, or without this website - Linnea's vision intact). How can a random sequence of letters expect the community detailed above to simply pick up where they left off?

Who are you?

If you don't get what I'm saying, then you just wasted a good deal of money buying this forum. If you do get it, then you've got a good deal of work to do if you expect to keep this forum operating as anything other than random people assembling random sequences of letters on the computer screens before them. That work starts with answering the question quoted above.

Can I just say, amazing post and thank you. This should be stickied.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-09-2011 10:06 PM

Sean_in_Montreal wrote: I have known Fan for a long time. What he calls himself, his "handle" is irrelevant.

He is a man of ethics and has nothing but good intentions for this place. He bought this place to preserve the database and therefore preserve it as the first Coast based forum, and to keep it going.

Considering the "other" interest in buying this forum, you guys don't know how lucky you are that Fan is now the owner. He's very techie and i'm certain he will fix it up and update it.

Because of him this ship will keep on sailing.

:)

Very kind and appreciated.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-09-2011 10:09 PM

Fan wrote: Can I just say, amazing post and thank you. This should be stickied.

I second the motion.

But it's not an unusual post - for Kaz.

Kaz has added many gems to the ships war chest.

A shipmate to drink to, if ever there was one.
Last edited by SquidInk on 05-09-2011 10:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”