Welcome to FF's new home

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-11-2011 08:35 AM

alfa119 wrote: upgrade the forum software and re-theme everything.

I know its alot of work but this forum software is fairly old as well..

it is worth a thought instead of hacking software... upgrade it.

That is always an option, but I know alot of people like the old VB. Nothing is changing for now, except for fixes to current system.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-11-2011 01:36 PM

Indeed we do Fan!

Before i found this site,i thought i was about the only one who liked older things!!! (I WAS QUITE HAPPY FINDING THIS PLACE ON VB 2.3!)

Ziroc
Pirate

Post by Ziroc » 05-12-2011 11:43 AM

I am so happy that Fan saved the forum. I was shocked to hear the news of Linnea's passing. Was really hard.

But thanks to Fan for keeping the ship afloat! I think she would be proud!

IMO, I would turn on PM's. It allows people to connect, and speak of personal things when the time is needed.

(I run a massive gaming forum, Ironworks Gaming Forum, and I understand how crazy upgrading forum software is. I began a simple php forum in 1997, which was so limited, it was called 'Ultraboard' or something..

I then converted to UBB in 2001. I actually saved the posts. then a few years ago I upgraded to vB, and had to run a conversion process on over 1 million posts, and 15000 users! (it also was the first forum with a SQL database, so imagine how hard that was--I actually had techs help me with the conversion, and added some code to the converter). It took 14 hours to convert posts, users, pms, and everything else. but it worked! :)

If you ever need some help with the forum, I know loads of stuff. But IMO, I'd keep the same look and feel, but maybe add a few small things.. maybe PM's, as I said. Maybe a chat interface when the AB shows are on. Allow for larger avatars under our username? Not TOO big though.. :)

(see my forum at: http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php )
BTW, themes are a pain in the butt!

The hardest part of maintaining a forum is the following:
1. Database issues. (most are easily fixed)
2. BIG issue is spammers making accounts. New vBB has loads of ways to curtail bots from registering, but they still get through sometimes, so I actually manually validate each new member. And that is a pain sometimes :)

I'm just glad the Fantastic Forum was saved, and the memory of Linnea. She was a special person that brought together so many great people. Hell, Art Bell *preferred* posting here, even over the old C2C forum! That alone speaks volumes. Amazing family here... Thank you, Fan!

JoeQuinn would also be proud, and offer a lengthy post about that :) His posts were great!
Last edited by Ziroc on 05-12-2011 11:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Ziroc™
"I thought there was no Chill town!" - Howie Gordon - BB6/BB7 AS

alfa119
Pirate

Post by alfa119 » 05-12-2011 02:05 PM

Dude111 wrote: Thats the easy way out though!!!

I hope we dont lose this wonderful S/W they have used for years.... I love it!!!

No annoying Facebook crap in your face,etc...... (Im sick of seeing that ALMOST EVERYWHERE!!)

in most forum software as of late, you can turn that facebook crap off..

also, it is the best option in regards to upgrading the security as well as possible hacks that are known for this version of the software. Upgrading is the best solution as it also ensures better security.

just my two cents.

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 05-12-2011 02:29 PM

Originally posted by alfa119

also, it is the best option in regards to upgrading the security as well as possible hacks that are known for this version of the software. Upgrading is the best solution as it also ensures better security.

just my two cents.

I agree. The question does remain, what would or should the FF forum be updated with? vBulletin 2.3.0 is no longer supported, nor are the 3.x.x versions.

vBulletin 4.x.x is garbage. I love XenForo and to a lesser extent, IPB. IPB has a wonderfully talented skinner by the name of Ehren, and he did a custom skin for me several years ago.

I'd like to see a poll asking if the FF should be update to another forum software. Not sure if Fan has intentions on that or not. But I hope it is something he would consider.

alfa119
Pirate

Post by alfa119 » 05-12-2011 04:10 PM

CoastZone wrote: I agree. The question does remain, what would or should the FF forum be updated with? vBulletin 2.3.0 is no longer supported, nor are the 3.x.x versions.

vBulletin 4.x.x is garbage. I love XenForo and to a lesser extent, IPB. IPB has a wonderfully talented skinner by the name of Ehren, and he did a custom skin for me several years ago.

I'd like to see a poll asking if the FF should be update to another forum software. Not sure if Fan has intentions on that or not. But I hope it is something he would consider.

there are also several free options as well for the forum software such as phpbb and smf, while there are alot of other options, I know that IPB would be the best option impo.

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 05-12-2011 04:27 PM

alfa119 wrote: there are also several free options as well for the forum software such as phpbb and smf, while there are alot of other options, I know that IPB would be the best option impo.

True, there are the free alternatives. I used PHPBB once, long ago. It was good for a beginning site. SMF, I haven't heard much positive about it in a year or so. It seems the development process has stalled.

I do like MyBB. It's the only free alternative I would personally use, if I used a free forum software.

I like IPB. Especially the new one that is upcoming, IPB 3.2. Although I do admit to loving the new forum software by the original vBulletin 3.x.x developers.
Last edited by CoastZone on 05-12-2011 04:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-12-2011 05:58 PM

alfa119 wrote: Upgrading is the best solution as it also ensures better security.
The site has been fine on 2.3 for years and i dont wanna lose it.. I like the speed,the basic look and feel,etc.....

There is no real reason to upgrade a site to newer over bloated/ugly stuff.... (This place is an example of that)

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 05-13-2011 09:11 PM

Hey Fan!

Just found out who you are, and I'm happy you've taken over "The Forum"!

Kaz, trust me, I know who Fan is now, and he'll do right by this place. He's a private man, but a good guy all around. Give him some time and he'll prove it, I'm sure.

Thanks Fan, for keeping this place going, and saving the archives! I'm looking forward to sailing here with you, and on the other sites you run.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Shazam
Pirate

Post by Shazam » 05-14-2011 06:36 AM

Shazam: *Phil* Resident Libertarian Military (disabled) Veteran My Handel is associated with the Comic book character Captain Marvel......The words he spoke to become to worlds mightiest mortal......A lil Crazy but harmless ;)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-14-2011 02:13 PM

Fan/svladcelli treats his sites and users great in my experience with him during our nearly 10 year e-quaintance and I consider him a friend. He's among a small handful of FF Pirates I think merits and is skilled and trustworthy for the task and will preserve the FF responsibly.

Sail on, dude! ;)
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-14-2011 03:00 PM

I just want to say thanks to everyone for their kind words. I never expected this to happen, the support I feel is HUGE.

Our communities are great places, with great people. We are going to carry that legacy forward, and I can't wait to see the fun we will have together.

Love, peace and happiness to you all.

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 05-15-2011 04:30 AM

Man.....
I go to Louisiana for a week to attend my daughter's graduation and what do I find here on returning home ?
1. A new admin/owner.
Hi, Fan. I kinda remember you as svladcelli. Good to see ya again. And good luck to ya as admin.

2. A large chunk of the pirates have, again, jumped ship. Seems to happen every 3 or 4 years. Last time it lasted about two or three months then they all started posting here again and let the new site die of loneliness.

I'll be sticking around here because;
a. i like it here.
b. Fan deserves his chance at the wheel, after all it IS his wheel now.
c. They didn't invite me to their NFF, so I must presume ( I never assume ) they didn't want me. Whoda thunk it?
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Nightingale
Pirate

Post by Nightingale » 05-15-2011 10:29 AM

Jon-Marcus wrote: Man.....
I go to Louisiana for a week to attend my daughter's graduation and what do I find here on returning home ?
1. A new admin/owner.
Hi, Fan. I kinda remember you as svladcelli. Good to see ya again. And good luck to ya as admin.

2. A large chunk of the pirates have, again, jumped ship. Seems to happen every 3 or 4 years. Last time it lasted about two or three months then they all started posting here again and let the new site die of loneliness.

a. i like it here.
c. They didn't invite me to their NFF, so I must presume ( I never assume ) they didn't want me. Whoda thunk it?

I think it isn't always easy to contact everyone, most of the emails are old and changed over the years since many signed up here. Know it was hard to reach me, you are right never assume.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-15-2011 11:07 AM

Jon-Marcus wrote: Man.....
1. A new admin/owner.

a. i like it here.

I'm sure you are welcome there, Jon-Marcus, and of course, here too. You post infrequently, but each post is worth reading (imho).

How's the flooding in LA? The fires in Texas? Sheesh - rough times in your notw, eh?

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”