ORR~08 Aug. 07~Wild Card Line~Pirate Mania

Join in most nights at 10pm Pacific for 'Almost Live' posting - with the Fantastic Forum Pirates - now featuring Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert show posting.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-09-2007 03:18 AM

Come on, you just know I had to try out my new voodoo stick before some sleep. Wouldn't you? :p

Boomer Geezer
ORR Co-Mod and Google Champ

Post by Boomer Geezer » 08-09-2007 03:22 AM

WOOHOO Earthquake time in So Cal.

This puppy happened just a few miles from us ... we're estimating about 6 miles. It was 4 miles NNW Chatsworth and Chatsworth is just over the hill from us.

Shake 'n bake time maties ;)

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/119-34.html
Diagnosed 11/2005 Stage IV Adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophogeal junction: Now in partial remission. Thank you all for your prayers and wishes.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
BUD: "Hippy, you think everything's a conspiracy!"
HIPPY: "Everything is!!"
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"I didn't lie: I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation." -- Fox Mulder

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-09-2007 03:23 AM

Hello Boomer!

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 08-09-2007 03:38 AM

Earthquake Safety Tips
How to Survive an Earthquake

A little knowledge and a few precautionary measures can enormously increase your chances of surviving an earthquake - or any other type of hazard. The keys are education and preparing in advance. The earthquake safety tips below will not make you an expert. However, they could make a life-saving difference if you find yourself in an earthquake situation. Invest in your personal safety by studying below.

Before the Earthquake:
  • Learn how to survive during the ground motion. This is described in the "During the Earthquake" section below. The earthquake safety tips there will prepare you for the fast action needed - most earthquakes are over in seconds so knowing what to do instinctively is very important.

Teach all members of your family about earthquake safety. This includes: 1) the actions you should take when an earthquake occurs, 2) the safe places in a room such as under a strong desk, along interior walls, and 3) places to avoid such as near windows, large mirrors, hanging objects, heavy furniture and fireplaces.

Stock up on emergency supplies. These include: battery operated radio (and extra batteries), flashlights (and extra batteries), first aid kit, bottled water, two weeks food and medical supplies, blankets, cooking fuel, tools needed to turn off your gas, water and electric utilities.

Arrange your home for safety: Store heavy objects on lower shelves and store breakable objects in cabinents with latched doors. Don't hang heavy mirrors or pictures above where people frequently sit or sleep.

Anchor heavy appliances and furniture such as water heaters, refrigerators and bookcases.

Store flamable liquids away from potential ignition sources such as water heaters, stoves and furnaces.

Get Educated. Learn what to do during an earthquake (see below). Then you will be ready for the fast action needed. Make sure that all members of your family have this important education.

Learn where the main turn-offs are for your water, gas and electricity. Know how to turn them off and the location of any needed tools.
During the Earthquake:
  • If you are indoors, stay there. Quickly move to a safe location in the room such as under a strong desk, a strong table, or along an interior wall. The goal is to protect yourself from falling objects and be located near the structural strong points of the room.

Avoid taking cover near windows, large mirrors, hanging objects, heavy furniture, heavy appliances or fireplaces.

If you are cooking, turn off the stove and take cover.

If you are outdoors, move to an open area where falling objects are unlikely to strike you. Move away from buildings, powerlines and trees.

If you are driving, slow down smoothly and stop on the side of the road. Avoid stopping on or under bridges and overpasses, or under power lines, trees and large signs. Stay in your car.
After the Earthquake:
  • Check for injuries, attend to injuries if needed, help ensure the safety of people around you.

Check for damage. If your building is badly damaged you should leave it until it has been inspected by a safety professional.

If you smell or hear a gas leak, get everyone outside and open windows and doors. If you can do it safely, turn off the gas at the meter. Report the leak to the gas company and fire department.

Do not use any electrical appliances because a tiny spark could ignite the gas.

If the power is out, unplug major appliances to prevent possible damage when the power is turned back on. If you see sparks, frayed wires, or smell hot insulation turn off electricity at the main fuse box or breaker. If you will have to step in water to turn off the electricity you should call a professional to turn it off for you.
http://geology.com/articles/earthquake-safety.shtml

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 08-09-2007 03:42 AM

I spent most of my youth in SoCal, Dago actually, and I remember how the 'duck and cover' mantra of the early cold war was revived for 'quake defence....:rolleyes:

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-09-2007 07:22 AM

I wasn't listening but was recording the show and had to search and play that part when the quake happen and it sounded as if a couple others were in there laughing at him. Did he wet himself or try to run and hide or what? ha.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-09-2007 09:37 AM

Hi Boomer, nice to see you, hope all is well.......I remember the shaking in 89 very well, hope this isn't a precursor to a bigger quake.

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 08-09-2007 12:15 PM

4.5 is more or less a 'baby' quake. It'll get your attention, but it's not something that would typically freak someone out.

The 5.5 and above quakes can be a bit scary, but it's the 6.0 and above shaker that makes one think it is a good time to move to a safe location and ride it out.
JMO, of course. Everyone reacts differently during quakes, but in my opinion the absolute worst thing to do is panic.
shimmeringaurora(at)yahoo(dot)com

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 08-09-2007 12:59 PM

I think a 6.0 would get me to start thinking about MOVING!!!!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

GMJinOK
Pirate

Post by GMJinOK » 08-09-2007 01:22 PM

I went through a 7.9 quake in November of 2002 in the interior of Alaska. That was quite an experience!

Being born and raised in Alaska, I was used to earthquakes, but I immediately knew this was going be a big one. I had a Dodge Ram truck at the time, and that baby was literally bouncing. The strangest thing was watching the spruce trees sway and bend on a windless day. :eek:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2003/fs014-03/

Gina

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 08-09-2007 02:59 PM

GMJinOK wrote: I went through a 7.9 quake in November of 2002 in the interior of Alaska. That was quite an experience!

Being born and raised in Alaska, I was used to earthquakes, but I immediately knew this was going be a big one. I had a Dodge Ram truck at the time, and that baby was literally bouncing. The strangest thing was watching the spruce trees sway and bend on a windless day. :eek:

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2003/fs014-03/

Gina

That was a doozy! I had a truck full of young hockey players. We were road-tripping to Fairbanks for a tournament. There was no mistaking what was happening, the road was literally swaying up and down. I watched as a tiny chip on my truck windshield splintered, leaving a crack from one side the the other. After that road trip I made the decision to take the 40 minute flights from Anchorage to Fairbanks... to heck with driving that long, lonesome highway.

GMJinOK
Pirate

Post by GMJinOK » 08-09-2007 03:04 PM

Shimmering Auro wrote: That was a doozy! I had a truck full of young hockey players. We were road-tripping to Fairbanks for a tournament. There was no mistaking what was happening, the road was literally swaying up and down. I watched as a tiny chip on my truck windshield splintered, leaving a crack from one side the the other. After that road trip I made the decision to take the 40 minute flights from Anchorage to Fairbanks... to heck with driving that long, lonesome highway.

What's really crazy, is that my daughter and her boyfriend and his mom were driving and never felt it! They had left the house about 2 minutes before it started, and they had no idea until they got to his house, and his brother ran out of the house freaking out. :D I'll never understand how they didn't feel it. :confused:

Gina

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 08-09-2007 03:19 PM

You know how it is. Some people feel them, others don't. I'll never understand how people miss them. Heck, a 4.5 wakes me out of a dead sleep. And what about the rumbling sound prior to the larger quakes? I can usually hear them before the shaking begins.

Perhaps they didn't feel it because they were driving on a firm section of the highway. Heck, half that road is built over marshlands and muskeg. I remember wondering what we would do if an even stronger qauake was right behind that big one.
Last edited by Shimmering Auro on 08-09-2007 03:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-09-2007 03:43 PM

Hi Shimmering Auro, I certainly felt the Bay Area 89 Quake, I was in my car at the Post Office..........the aftershocks for the next year were also felt by me, most of them in the middle of the night, I remember one in particular, I had fallen asleep on my sofa and that one knocked me to the floor........for about a year after that Quake I did not sleep well, that is not unusual.

Return to “Fantastic Forum 'Original Radio Room'”