Liberal Party of Canada Adopts Basic Income Policy

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Liberal Party of Canada Adopts Basic Income Policy

Post by Raggedyann » 05-31-2016 02:25 AM

Basic Income Now Officially Liberal Party Policy

Efforts towards a guaranteed basic income are now official policy of the Liberal Party of Canada — though not necessarily that of the federal Liberal government.

Delegates to the party’s convention last week voted in favour of a grassroots resolution declaring that the Liberals, “in consultation with the provinces, develop a poverty reduction strategy aimed at providing a minimum guaranteed income.”

Under a minimum guaranteed income, or basic income, governments would replace numerous benefit programs such as employment insurance or Old Age Security with a single, regular paycheque to all households, regardless of income or status.

More...
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/30 ... 10380.html

As you can imagine, this thrills me to the marrow. An excellent way to end poverty. Before you all go off the deep end, read the positives.

-As this income would take the place of welfare, UI, and old age pensions, any money people made outside the basic income would not be clawed back by the fed or provincial gov. This could lead to welfare recipients finding part time jobs that may lead to full time jobs. It could end the futility that lower skilled people experience making minimum wage and never being able to make ends meet. And they could also pay to take courses for skill enhancement, which is currently not allowed if on UI, or welfare and not affordable making minimum wage.

-No child would ever have to go to school hungry again.

-College students wouldn't have to work 2 jobs to pay for living and tuition.

-All low income seniors would live above the poverty line.

-Disposable income injected into the economy could lead to new business start ups.

-Social income assistance programs would be eliminated, which would balance out the cost of Basic Income.

-There are other costs the tax payer is on the hook for in relation to poverty, which would be reduced.

-Drug and alcohol addiction as well as crime associated with poverty could also be reduced.

I'm sure you can find some negatives. Fire away, I'm all ears. :)
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Liberal Party of Canada Adopts Basic Income Policy

Post by Riddick » 05-31-2016 03:19 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-31-2016 04:52 AM

SpongeBob.jpg
SpongeBob.jpg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 5439 times
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-31-2016 05:41 AM

Meme's now take the place of thought out opinions?

This plan may sound crazy to you guys but at least my country, (as well as other countries in the world), is researching ways to try and reduce poverty. Whereas the US Congress does nothing but endlessly fight about it. One side wants to starve everybody and other side fights the wanting to starve everybody, and in the meantime nothing gets resolved. But hey, you've got the Donald, who slipped up in his beginning by declaring that $7.25 per hour was too high for a minimum wage and then he flipped flopped on this and nobody now knows what he thinks. Good luck with that.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-31-2016 09:42 AM

Why would the liberal governments of the world do anything in a positive fashion , for the poor and middle class, when they them selves are the creators , through their own policies, have produced more poverty and ever widened the gap between the rich and the middle class?...........
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-31-2016 10:32 AM

Believe it or not, it's the political 'right' which will fight the hardest for basic income laws. Why? Because they are closely aligned with business interests, and in fact fetishize "economic productivity". Here's how it will work...

Step 1: Big business sends lobbyists to procure super high (like, $15/hr) minimum wage laws. This will put under capitalized/smaller competitors out of business.
Step 2: Big business will simultaneously (with step 1) automate the hell out of everything they can to circumvent the high minimum wage laws they bought. Expenditure for robots/software looks a lot different on the books than payroll. It's a win/win.

This happened in the 80's with environmental law. Believe it or not, big business was behind a lot of the draconian & seemingly restrictive environmental legislation because it raises the barrier to entry for upstarts, and crushes poorly structured competitors by creating a prohibitively expensive environment in which business is done.

In the case of basic income, business interests, and conservatives in particular will always screetch about "supply side" theory (you know, create lots of stuff and people will magically buy it). What happens when the jobs are automated, and wages are stagnant since, say, 1977? Or worse, nobody has any money to spend? Nobody can buy the "supply"...demand falls, the sacred profits fall. That's because all economic activity is really "demand side". People traditionally work for money, and 'demand' certain things to make life better. Astute business people sense the demand, and fill the need.

The basic income is a win/win for the usual suspects...those who are in "the club" as Carlin says. The basic income will paid out of federal budgets. That 'income' money (which was formerly a business expense known as 'payroll') will facilitate 'demand', and will be spent on goods and services as usual. So, the businesses who can afford to automate get to rid themselves of pesky, expensive workforce types, they no longer pay payroll, but they still collect money on the doodads they make and sell to the basic incomers. Best of all, the money they collect as "sales" is shuttled offshore, likely in a "double Irish" tax dodge or something, so they never pay back into the system they are mooching off of. The federal government can only keep paying the basic income (and all it's expenses) by printing more money, and the corporations will be there greasing the rails to be sure that the vote is always favorable to them. This dilutes the purchase power of each dollar, and ensures we will continue to "need" politicians to "go to Washington on our behalf" and angle for increases in the basic income!

It's all business.
Get the lights.

For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-31-2016 01:33 PM

So, are you saying the current Governments are simply "Victims" of Republican Lobbyists "?

Maybe Squid, you can explain to me as to why the Obama puppet masters have him going all over the world signing up the nations to do exactly as you suggest. The Parts

of the TPP that I have read is that the Nations to be signed up are to be turned over to the Corporations , using the United Nations as implementor and given the right to

sue the Governments if the agreements are not to their liking.

It is one big power shift to a Corporate run world, no more pesky constitutions , no more voting. I don't really think it matters whether you have a D or a R after you name.

It is about Power and World Rule. You think I'm crazy...........Read the agreement!

But it is being put together, using an Elected Democrat, hence, my associations.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 05-31-2016 01:57 PM

Not victims, co-conspirators. Not "republican" only, but both parties & both ideological camps.

Unfortunately, I can not explain anything to you. However, I have taken the time, for years, to write my thoughts down here. Look for the trunk full of scrimshaw scribblings down in the holds.

All I know is at the end of the day, this is the America we chose to build.

For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-31-2016 02:59 PM

Thanks for your reply and hope you stick around for a bit. :D

And I wonder.....How could any of us have any idea What was being built? It is the "Ultimate Nightmare". :shock:
KARMA RULES

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-31-2016 04:24 PM

Liberal party, Conservative party. Different snakes, but still snakes. As long as your label yourself one of them and tow the party line you're just part of the problem.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-31-2016 05:16 PM

They keep talking about raising the minimum wage across the board in Canada but perhaps the basic income will be used instead to prevent small business failure.

Corporations have been ridding themselves of pesky baggage employees for years. Every six months here we read headlines where some large company has just laid off hundreds of employees. And if we don’t see it the headlines we hear about layoffs from friends and family across the Province and across the country and we see it happening in our own communities. And it is continually happening in the US but the media doesn't report it.

The increasing automation will continue but if they implement it in the speedy fashion that they could, there would be mass lay-offs and millions more on the dole. The only thing our so called leaders can do is negotiate a way out of the mass chaos we've been expecting for years.

I do see a basic income as a potential band aid solution. As with all government programs they look good in the beginning but they rarely keep up with inflation. But if it can uplift millions of people for a few years to come I'm all for it. When the supply and demand thing trickles out they will more than likely find another way of stalling chaos, or there will be chaos.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-31-2016 06:06 PM

Raggedyann wrote:Meme's now take the place of thought out opinions?

But seriously RA, insofar you say you're sure we can come up with negatives, off the top of my head there's -

1) One goal being no kid goes to school hungry, seems to me family stipends would needs be bumped up for each stork delivery. Where's the incentive to not become a baby machine 'basic income mom'? And who's to say even then the kids will be fed before school, or otherwise?

2) Nothing says 'ward of the state' like a cradle to grave allowance from the government. Uncle Sam says "no strings"? I'd not bet on that, most likely he'd have a swell set of rules on how folks should live their lives to go with! What, no breakfast? That's enemy of the state right there.

Still, you may think it crazy if I told you I'm not dead set against a workable policy to help folks overall stay afloat. As Middle America's struggle to keep its head above water deepens, a lifeline would be nice, but NOT so much it's forever hog-tied to the U.S.S. Nanny State.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-31-2016 06:10 PM

SquidInk wrote:The federal government can only keep paying the basic income (and all it's expenses) by printing more money, and the corporations will be there greasing the rails to be sure that the vote is always favorable to them. This dilutes the purchase power of each dollar, and ensures we will continue to "need" politicians to "go to Washington on our behalf" and angle for increases in the basic income!

It's all business.
Get the lights.

You've nailed it once again, Squid!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

-Donald Trump Image

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-31-2016 07:29 PM

Riddick - No doubt there are are some just crappy parents out there. There are also a lot of families that make crappy wages and struggle. Kids need to be protected as it's not their fault their parents can't find jobs that pay enough to live on. Didn't used to be this way.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-31-2016 08:46 PM

Ra, I think we all would like to feel protected . There are no age limits.
KARMA RULES

Return to “Global”