Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 12-15-2012 05:04 AM

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 12-15-2012 12:55 PM

Yes truly tragic and I am wondering (not being sarcastic in light of tragedy) are folks over there discussing outlawing knives.
A man's character is his fate

HB3

Post by HB3 » 12-15-2012 01:41 PM

I think they have broached the subject, which is rather silly, in England. Or rather someone tried to come up with a knife that it would be impossible to cut someone with. (Knife violence is also big in gun-controlled Britain).

HB3

Post by HB3 » 12-15-2012 06:01 PM

Here ya go....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8101032.stm
Kitchen knives are the most common weapon used in fatal stabbings, say police. Now a new "anti-stab" knife has been developed, but how does it work?

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 12-15-2012 06:23 PM

Personally I would just go with the pointy stick.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-16-2012 12:08 AM

Oh goody, we will all be cutting our meat with our fingernails. Wait a minute, meat will be too expensive. Don't need knives with "gruel" Oh Oh time for my meds.:rolleyes:

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-18-2012 09:51 AM

Diogenes wrote: Yes truly tragic and I am wondering (not being sarcastic in light of tragedy) are folks over there discussing outlawing knives.
wouldn't be that weird, both our countries have strong knife laws... in fact it looks like we have stronger laws than China right now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 12-18-2012 02:13 PM

It would be a safe bet to say contaminated air and water kill 100x, maybe 1000x, more children in China than guns and knives combined. Priorities seem to be a little wonky there.

http://www.vice.com/toxic/toxic-linfen-china
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 12-18-2012 03:09 PM

Well, it's only wonky if you disagree with this de facto global message:

To Corporations: do whatever you need to do to satisfy your noble and elevated 'mission statements', and to return maximum dividends to your 'investors'. Just make sure you structure your liability so that actual people can never be held accountable for your actions, aside from a token fine here and there. By the way, if you, as corporations purchase 'preferred stock' with revenues, then only the 30% of the dividends you 'earn' will be taxed. The other 70% will not be. Just a little heads up for you guys. Take care.

To Private Individual: look parasite, we'll be stopping in at your place Thursday, and you need to give us your guns, knives, shoelaces, bubblegum wrappers, sewing needles, and anything else you possess which is not directly related to your ability to efficiently produce in a factory setting, or consume products sold to you by a consortium of factory reps. And you've paid your taxes, right?
You're telling me there's a double standard; one set of laws for the corps and another for the people.

Really? :rolleyes:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/bl ... e-20121213
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 12-18-2012 03:12 PM

SI, I know you deleted your post but my awesome Firefox browser has the best History features and keeps everything - even if you close the window/tab. Somewhat off-topic, I suppose..but very good points that I felt the need to reply to so I resurrected it.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 12-18-2012 03:16 PM

Besides..I've heard more than I can stomach about massacred kids.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-18-2012 03:26 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: SI, I know you deleted your post but my awesome Firefox browser has the best History features and keeps everything - even if you close the window/tab. Somewhat off-topic, I suppose..but very good points that I felt the need to reply to so I resurrected it.
No prob... :D
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 12-19-2012 02:47 AM

I have been a left-leaning Liberal for many years.

Now, I say... COLLECT my medical records! If I've been deemed incompetent at any time in the past 20 years, DON'T allow me to purchase any type of weapon, unless I've had a brain tumor that's been removed and I'm deemed normal, again. DRUGS won't qualify, because when a person becomes immune to one, they don't take it away - the doctors just ADD another one, which may deem us to be incapable of acting with normal reactions to many things.

This is the way Israel has handled many of it's problems. Yes, I know it's a much smaller country, but the people who are licensed to carry weapons have all served time in the military... if they're deemed fit, they can do it, and it works; so should the rest of our countries who want to remain free of people who do these kinds of horrible acts.

I know, people say it all the time and we poo-poo it ("If we have nothing to fear, than we should comply.") Well, perhaps it's TIME to use on-line medical records to decide who can purchase a gun, who's parents should have one if we're living with them or they visit them often, and who is taking anti-psychotic drugs.

If I live long enough, I may become paranoid WITHOUT any drugs. And if that's the case, my personal physician should deem me eligible to have a weapon, just like they can deem me safe to drive. I know this idea won't be popular, but how many more people and children do we have to lose before we actually fare reality?!

ENOUGH of this crap! Agreed, sometimes the paranoids are correct... but still, most of the time, the paranoids are really off-balanced, and shouldn't have any in the house.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 12-19-2012 09:56 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: I have been a left-leaning Liberal for many years.

Now, I say... COLLECT my medical records! If I've been deemed incompetent at any time in the past 20 years, DON'T allow me to purchase any type of weapon, unless I've had a brain tumor that's been removed and I'm deemed normal, again. DRUGS won't qualify, because when a person becomes immune to one, they don't take it away - the doctors just ADD another one, which may deem us to be incapable of acting with normal reactions to many things.

This is the way Israel has handled many of it's problems. Yes, I know it's a much smaller country, but the people who are licensed to carry weapons have all served time in the military... if they're deemed fit, they can do it, and it works; so should the rest of our countries who want to remain free of people who do these kinds of horrible acts.

I know, people say it all the time and we poo-poo it ("If we have nothing to fear, than we should comply.") Well, perhaps it's TIME to use on-line medical records to decide who can purchase a gun, who's parents should have one if we're living with them or they visit them often, and who is taking anti-psychotic drugs.

If I live long enough, I may become paranoid WITHOUT any drugs. And if that's the case, my personal physician should deem me eligible to have a weapon, just like they can deem me safe to drive. I know this idea won't be popular, but how many more people and children do we have to lose before we actually fare reality?!

ENOUGH of this crap! Agreed, sometimes the paranoids are correct... but still, most of the time, the paranoids are really off-balanced, and shouldn't have any in the house.

That is a bad idea :)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-19-2012 12:06 PM

Bobbi Snow wrote: I have been a left-leaning Liberal for many years.

What "they" (these would be the people promoting electronic medical records) don't tell you about electronic emdical records is that, as with anything digital, data can be manipulated. Trust me, I know. I work with this stuff all day long. Accounts get confused, people end-up with mutiple files at a single institutions, people's records are in another person's file.......And, they'r not immune frmo being hacked either. Besides, most guns used in crimes are bought on the secondary market, not as a legal purchase. People buying guns in this manner are not being subjected to any kind of background check.

Return to “Global”