Middle East Conflict (WWIII setting up)

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 07-14-2006 03:11 AM

Please, friends, if you don't mind, include my friend's 16 yr. old son, who is over there right now, in your prayers. He left two weeks ago on a tour of the area. His father (her ex) is an Israeli (she's Dutch), and he arranged the tour so his son could see his father's homeland. I told her I didn't think it was a very good idea to let him go right now, but she didn't want to rock the boat (it's rocky enough already), and was hoping all would be well while he's away. We talked to her tonight, and she seems worried, but is trying to keep her spirits up. She said she had spoken with her son, and he told her that the tour group has canceled most of their plans and have gathered somewhere south on the Red Sea. He is OK, but we are worried nonetheless. Thanks.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-14-2006 05:54 AM

Joolz, I will most certainly keep you, your friends & family in my prayers.

I also pray that those that involved all sides come to their senses, soon. :(

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-14-2006 08:58 AM

Joolz's your friends are in my thoughts.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-14-2006 10:39 AM

Joolz -- of course will keep them in thoughts and prayers for their safety.

==
The problems in the Middle East have been building for a long time and I can understand that Isreal is quite literally "fed up" with all the attacks that have kept on going on for so many years.

I too am hoping this situation will be resolved soon.

Squall
Pirate

Post by Squall » 07-14-2006 03:48 PM

SETIsLady wrote: I would agree I think the PTB are out of control all of them. I am not speaking just about the US, Israel, Iraq, Iran or anyone in particular. They have all just lost their minds, and we are the innocent bystanders in this symphony of destruction.
I myself fail to see how Israel is out of their minds. Lebanon does not have sufficient military forces in their southern sectors to control the terrorist organizations there, nor do they seem to want to. Hezbollah is an actual legal political party in Lebanon, as well, rather than just a "rogue terrorist cell." It'd be like a Republican Party Army from the United States marching south and attacking Venezuela: the latter would state it to be an act of war by the U.S., if they were at all rational. Lebanon, whether by direct decision, or by decision to do nothing to control Hezbollah, started this war. I actually wish, by now, that they'd just be annexed into what is by far the most open human rights supporting state in the Middle East.

And as for the Israeli Gaza offensive?
http://news.pajamasmedia.com/2006/07/13 ... rror.shtml
I think this pretty much sums it up, and by a left-leaning Chicago Tribune at that.
"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 07-14-2006 11:39 PM

Of course Joolz, he is in my thoughts and light is being sent his way for protection.

spiritme
Pirate

Post by spiritme » 07-15-2006 06:37 AM

It is now Saturday and I am headed to a meeting. I will leave this families names for prayers in service tonight.....
May we all know peace and love.......:p
A shot of truth with that there ale mate!

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 07-16-2006 08:02 PM

http://memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD120706

During July 14-16, 2006, the Iranian, Lebanese, and Syrian media published articles and statements on the emerging conflict between Israel and Hizbullah. The following are excerpts:

IRANIAN REACTIONS

Iranian President Ahmadinejad's Threats: Israel's Invasion of Lebanon is an Encroachment Against the Islamic World

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad added: "If [Israel's supporters] do not revise their support for the regime or fail to topple it, they should know that this wrath [will] turn into a huge outburst, which [will] not be restricted to the region alone."(5) He said that "the Israeli invasion of Lebanon is an encroachment against [all] the nations in the region."(6)

The Iranian Intelligence Minister Threatens: Iran Will Target All of America's Interests All Over the World

Iranian Intelligence Minister Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ezhei said on July 13 that "if America or any other country attacks Iran, it will be endangering its interests and its economic, political, and societal life." He added: "The same country that intends to attack Iran needs to know that it will pay an exorbitant price. America doesn't have the courage to take such an action against Iran, since in this event we will endanger all of its crucial interests. The geographical borders of our war against the Americans will not be limited just to American soil. To the contrary, we will target all of this country's interests all over the world."(7)

Iranian Defense Minister: If the Islamic World Undertakes Military Action, Israel Will Regret its Crimes

Iranian Defense Minister Mustafa Najar said that "the Islamic world sees America as responsible for Israel's crimes... America has turned the region into a flashpoint of war and conflict in order to secure Israel's security and to completely take over the oil resources.

He warned: "The continued bombing of Lebanon and the potential attack against Syria will not bring anything to the Zionist regime apart from damage and regret... Victory belongs to people who, in order to defend their religion and their homeland, stand, as oppressed men and with nothing but their bare hands, and face the regime that is equipped with nuclear weapons... In the event that the Islamic world undertakes a serious action, Israel will regret its crimes."(8)

Vice-Secretary of the Iranian National Security Council Claims That "The American Theoreticians [Think That] World War II [sic] has Begun" and Added: "Iran Will Play a Decisive Role"

Vice-Secretary of the Iranian National Security Council Gholam-Reza Rahmani-Fazli said at a meeting of senior Basij officers in the city of Mashad that "the Iranian nuclear issue is the primary challenge facing Iran and the West." He claimed that the "American theoreticians" think that "World War II [sic] has begun" and added that "Iran will play a decisive role in this kind of war."(9)

Tehran Times: Support for Israel Will Endanger the Entire World... and Undermine the World Economy

An editorial titled "Israel is Pushing the Region into Utter Chaos," published in the Iranian Foreign Ministry daily Tehran Times, which is affiliated with Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, warned the superpowers that continued support for Israel "will harm the whole world, from exacerbation of the global security situation to undermining the world economy."

Tehran Times also noted that "the attack on Lebanon has already sent oil prices skyrocketing to an unprecedented high of $78 per barrel," and called on the participants in the G8 summit to "send Israel a strong message to halt its mad rush towards Armageddon." The daily added that Israel could not afford a lengthy war with the resistance [i.e. Hizbullah]. Even the U.S., it said, was forced to withdraw from Beirut in the early 1980s following Hizbullah's suicide attack against the Marines.(10)
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-17-2006 09:48 AM

" " Was hearing something the other day RE Hezbollah and Isreal - It seems the Hez put some land mines along the I/L border. Those landmines were 5" (yes five inches) into I soil. The H were told to remove them - they said no they are on I soil so its your problem to remove them. So The I sent soldiers and bulldozer to do so. Under the watchful eyes of H and I, the bulldozer (after the landmines were removed) repaired the soil. As the bulldozer made a turn to go over the soil again - a portion of the bulldozer encroached a fewinches into L. The H snipers immediately opened fire killing the bulldozer driver and blowing up the bulldozer.

Nothing was done by the world committees about this incident.

Over the past years snipers, suicide bombers - etc. and nothing has been done. Isreal gave up Gaza, pulled soldiers from L area -- should have been the end of hostilities by Hezbollah and the Hamas. But no the bombings continued. The soldiers - two killed and one kidnapped. How, but digging a tunnel into Israel. Did the world come to the aid of the Israelies? No --

Isrealies have said ENOUGH - and they are attakcing the Hamas and the Hezbollah. They announce where they will target and they target and bomb. The Lebanese could do something about the Hezbollah - but they don't. ""
====
Above from an op ed piece in local small town newspaper.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-17-2006 04:57 PM

Israel Sets Conditions for End to Fighting

By RAVI NESSMAN, AP

JERUSALEM (July 17) - Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Monday that the fighting in Lebanon would end when two Israeli soldiers were freed, rocket attacks stopped and the Lebanese army deployed along the border. But he appeared to scale back from previous demands for Hezbollah to be dismantled.

Delivering an impassioned speech to Israel's parliament after six days of fierce fighting, Olmert said Israel would have no mercy on militants who attacked its cities with rockets.

"We shall seek out every installation, hit every terrorist helping to attack Israeli citizens, destroy all the terrorist infrastructure, in every place. We shall continue this until Hezbollah does the basic and fair things required of it by every civilized person," he said. "Israel will not agree to live in the shadow of the threat of missiles or rockets against its residents."

Israeli officials have said publicly that Israel would not stop fighting until Hezbollah, a Shiite militia that controls much of south Lebanon, is dismantled. On Monday, Olmert said Hezbollah should be moved away from the border. His comments seemed to be a softening of Israel's earlier position, which could increase chances of a cease-fire.

"We shall struggle for the implementation of the conditions laid down by the international community ... the return of the hostages Ehud Goldwasser and Eldad Regev, a total cease-fire, the deployment of the Lebanese army in all of south Lebanon and the removal of Hezbollah from the region," he said.

Israeli officials said earlier Monday that Olmert had conveyed Israel's position to Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi, who is attempting to broker the cease-fire deal.

As he spoke, a U.N. delegation also trying to mediate an end to the fighting arrived in Israel from Beirut.

"We hope that we will be able to see our way toward ... a de-escalation of the crisis," said Vijay Nambiar, head of the delegation. He said he would pass on information gathered in the Lebanese capital to Israeli officials, but declined to elaborate.

The fighting began when Hezbollah kidnapped the soldiers in a cross-border raid. Since then, Israel has pounded Lebanon with airstrikes and Hezbollah has fired barrages of rockets and missiles into Israeli towns and cities.

"We are not looking for war or direct conflict, but if necessary, we will not be frightened by it," Olmert said.

He also praised the Israeli people for being strong and united in the face of the rocket bombardment that has sent about half a million Israelis into bomb shelters. He recited a Jewish prayer for the soldiers and said he had pictures of the three captured soldiers - the two in Lebanon and another held by militants in Gaza - in his office.

"We shall do everything with all our might to bring them home," he said, but added that Israel could not make a deal that would lead to further kidnappings.

Most Popular Stories

· President Bush Curses Hezbollah's Actions
· Plane Crashes Into Oregon Neighborhood
· Tsunami Strikes Indonesia, Killing at Least 86
· Discovery Lands After 13 Days in Space
· Israel Briefly Sends Troops Into Lebanon

The lengthy speech was Olmert's first major address since the fighting in Lebanon began last week.

He spoke at length about many of those killed and said that Israel was fighting for them.

"When missiles are launched at our residents and our towns, our answer will be war waged at full strength, with all determination, courage and sacrifice," he said.

Meanwhile, an Israeli airstrike in Lebanon on Monday destroyed at least one long-range Iranian missile capable of hitting Tel Aviv, military officials said.

Israeli aircraft targeted a truck carrying the weapons before they could be launched, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of military regulations. The force of the blast sent at least one missile flying into the air, but it fell nearby.

During nearly a week of fighting, Hezbollah militants have fired missiles up to 25 miles into Israel. But officials have raised concerns the guerrilla group could strike Tel Aviv, about 80 miles south of the border with Lebanon.

President Bush bluntly expressed his frustrations with Hezbollah's actions, suggesting Syria could use its influence with the guerrillas.

Annan and British Prime Minister Tony Blair called for sending international forces to southern Lebanon. Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow would consider dispatching troops, and the European Union announced it was considering a peacekeeping force as well.

Overnight attacks by Israeli warplanes and big guns killed 17 people and wounded at least 53, Lebanese security officials said. The death toll since fighting began July 12 after Hezbollah captured the Israeli soldiers has climbed above 200 - 209 in Lebanon, 24 in Israel.

Israeli government spokesman Asaf Shariv said ground troops entered southern Lebanon, attacked Hezbollah bases near the border and quickly returned inside Israel.

A large explosion was heard Monday evening across Beirut in the heavily hit southern suburbs where Hezbollah's headquarters is located. In the south, nine civilians were killed, including two children, when an afternoon strike hit a bridge at the entrance to the southern port city of Sidon, Lebanese security officials said.

An Israeli missile also targeted a building housing the offices of Al-Manar, Hezbollah television, in the southern market town of Nabatiyeh, wounding seven people.

Hezbollah Katyusha rockets landed in the Israeli town of Atlit, about 35 miles south of the border and six miles south of the port of Haifa. Nobody was hurt. Later, guerrillas fired three rocket barrages into Haifa, destroying a three-story building and wounding at least three people, Israeli medics said.

Guerrilla rockets killed eight Israelis in an attack on Haifa Sunday in what was believed to be Hezbollah's deadliest single attack on Israel.

A Lebanese TV station showed video of an object falling to the ground in the Jamjour district near the Hezbollah stronghold of southern Beirut, but the Israeli army said reports that it was an Israeli aircraft were false.

A Lebanese security official said the object was a fuel tank dropped by an Israeli aircraft over Kfar Chima, a town near southern Beirut. After it dropped the fuel tank, the aircraft fired two missiles at three cargo trucks in the area, killing four people and wounding two others, he added, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Israel said its planes and artillery struck 60 targets in Lebanon overnight in retaliation for Sunday's 20-rocket barrage on Haifa, Israel's third-largest city and one that had not been hit before the latest fighting.

Israel also kept up pressure in the Gaza Strip as it searched for a kidnapped soldier, bombing the empty Palestinian Foreign Ministry building for the second time in less than a week in what it said was a warning to the ruling Hamas party.

Israel launched the offensive on June 25 after Hamas-linked militants carried out a cross-border attack on a military outpost, killing two soldiers and capturing one. Lebanon's Hezbollah guerrillas joined the fray last week, attacking a military patrol in northern Israel, killing eight soldiers and capturing two.

Israeli officials accused Syria and Iran of providing Lebanese guerrillas with sophisticated weapons, saying the missiles that hit Haifa had greater range and heavier warheads than those Hezbollah had fired before.

Speaking on the margin of the Group of Eight summit in St. Petersburg, Russia, Blair said the fighting would not stop until the conditions for a cease-fire were created.

"The only way is if we have a deployment of international forces that can stop bombardment coming into Israel," he said.

Annan appealed to Israel to spare civilian lives and infrastructure. The G-8 nations, who had struggled to reach a consensus on the escalating warfare between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon, have expressed concern on the "rising civilian casualties" and urged both sides to stop the violence.

Bush cursed Hezbollah's actions in a discussion with Blair before the G-8 leaders began their final lunch.

"See the irony is that what they need to do is get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s--- and it's over," Bush said. He also suggested that Annan call Syrian President Bashar Assad to "make something happen."

7/17/2006 17:08 EDT

Methos
Pirate

Re:

Post by Methos » 07-17-2006 11:22 PM

We have been in the beginnings of world war 3 since about five minutes after the end of world war 2.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-17-2006 11:33 PM

I wonder who's putting the pressure on Israel and why. And I also wonder whether some of this pressure is anti-Amerikan in intent. I'm sure that there is a hell of a lot of action going on behind the scenes to which we will not be privy for decades. Oh well, it's most interesting to speculate...

HB3

Post by HB3 » 07-18-2006 12:30 AM

joequinn wrote: I wonder who's putting the pressure on Israel and why.

Is this the wrong question? I'm curious to know what you think of this guy:

http://antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=9314

For example:

"What Israel wants is what they have always wanted: to use American power, American tax dollars, and American lives to advance their own expansionist agenda. Twenty-five thousand Americans are in Lebanon at the present moment, all of them at risk from Israeli bombs – but that didn't factor into Tel Aviv's calculations, any more than Lebanese or Palestinian lives matter one whit to them. The Israelis put Israel first – and so does Washington. If all 25,000 American tourists and others have to perish in the flames of Israeli air strikes, then so be it."

Lord Moon
Pirate

Here's what will happen..

Post by Lord Moon » 07-18-2006 12:34 AM

Israel will continue doing what it does in Lebanon...

and because of that gas prices rise to $4.00 a gallon..

Congress goes crazy, and threatens to cut off aid to Israel, unless they agree to a cease fire.

After the cease fire, a withdrawel is negotiated. The bodies of the kidnapped soldiers are returned, and Israel gets the Lebanese army to keep the border under control. So Israel withdraws.

But gas prices remain at $4.00 a gallon.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-18-2006 12:56 AM

I read the article by Justin Raimundi, HB3, and I do not know what to think of it. What does Israel want? The American neo-cons, with whom the Israelis are closely allied, want to rule the world and to rule everyone and everything in it. But do the Israelis want that? It's possible that they are so invested, psychologically, in holding on to what they presently have that everything that they do follows from there. And if that be so, how come the Israelis and the neo-cons have been so close for so long? They don't have the same goals, do they?

What does Israel really want? If I knew the answer to that question, HB3, then I could tell you what I think about Raimundi's article...

Return to “Global”