Poisoned Bears

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Poisoned Bears

Post by mudwoman » 08-06-2005 06:10 AM

I can sit in my little home, and watch the bear rump around the yard, eating fallen apples and cherries from the old trees. They play in my big pond and make a mess, and eat my prized raspberries and wild blackberries. But I don't mind. They are magnificent animals. I respect their power, and like having them as neighbors. During the salmon run the bear hang out at Chimacum Creek, eating and growing fat for the long winter.

I live just South of BC, and this report is upsetting.

Poison Feast Of Salmon Contaminates BC Grizzlies

Tests Show Elevated Levels Of PCBs And
Pesticides In Pacific Coast Bears
By Mark Hume
The Globe and Mail
8-5-5

VANCOUVER -- Grizzly bears feasting on Pacific salmon provide iconic images of natural bounty that wildlife photographers have captured for generations.

But a new study suggests something is wrong with this picture. The grizzly bears in British Columbia that feed heavily on salmon each fall are doing more than loading up on nutrients for hibernation.

Research from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the University of Victoria shows that the annual feast of salmon is also loading the bears with pollutants -- including concentrations of chemicals that could affect the reproductive abilities of young females.

"These bears are eating seven or eight adult salmon a day, so they can really gorge themselves," said Peter Ross, a marine mammal toxicologist with DFO at the Institute of Ocean Sciences on Vancouver Island and one of the co-authors of the report.

"What we found is that the salmon are delivering pollutants from the ocean... [and they] are delivering quite a load. They are delivering most of the contaminants in these bears."

Dr. Ross said researchers looked at the differences between grizzlies with and without a salmon diet. They compared fat and hair samples from bears on the coast with those farther inland, where the omnivorous diet does not include salmon.

The coastal grizzlies, which eat spawning salmon almost exclusively from late summer through the fall, showed markedly higher levels of PCBs, organochlorine pesticides and a group of chemicals that are used as fire retardants in everything from foam cushions to building materials.

"The North Pacific is a sink for these contaminants, which are probably introduced through the atmosphere... from Asia. It reminds us once again that our planet is a small one," said Dr. Ross, who several years ago produced research showing that killer whales had become polluted through their rich salmon diets.

The paper states that salmon deliver 70 per cent of all organochlorine pesticides, 85 per cent of the polybrominated diphenyl ethers, or PBDEs, and 90 per cent of the PCBs found in the bears.

The levels of chemicals in a gram of fat ranged from trace amounts to up to 20 parts per billion for DDT, 43 ppb for PCBs and 53 ppb for PBDEs.

Dr. Ross said levels of pollutants in grizzly bears are not as high as those in orcas or polar bears and it is unclear what harm, if any, they might do.

"The total overall picture was that of bears that were not terribly contaminated. The salmon-eating bears had significantly higher levels of contaminants and they had a different pattern of contaminants... but I don't think the levels are of significant concern for the health of the animals."

But he said questions are unanswered about the possible reproductive impact some of the chemicals might have if they are concentrated in offspring.

Dr. Ross noted that some of the chemicals found in fat samples of salmon-eating bears are endocrine disrupters or hormone mimics.

"With low reproductive rates and seasonal cycles of fasting [hibernation], adult female grizzly bears may supply elevated concentrations of endocrine-disrupting chemicals to their young," states the research paper, which is to be published next month in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.

Dr. Ross said the research project, the first to look at chemical pollutants in grizzly bears, was suggested by the studies he did a few years ago on contaminants in orcas, seals and other marine mammals.

"We discovered that B.C.'s killer whales were the most polluted animals on the planet," he said. "We thought if killer whales are exposed to contaminants through eating a lot of fish, then grizzly bears might be, too."

Dr. Ross said wild salmon carry very low levels of pollutants, and the findings raise no health concerns for humans.

Researcher Jennie Christensen, a PhD student at the University of Victoria and the lead author, obtained fat and hair samples from 12 B.C. grizzly bears killed by hunters or wildlife control officers. She found a distinct isotope signature of carbon and nitrogen in the coastal bears that signalled their shift to a heavy salmon diet in the fall.

"That was key to us being able to interpret the contaminant results," Dr. Ross said.

The other authors of the paper were Misty MacDuffee, a biologist with the Raincoast Conservation Society, and Robie MacDonald and Michael Whiticar, both of the School of Earth and Ocean Sciences.

© Copyright 2005 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGA
M.20050805.wxbears05/BNStory/National/

:(

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-06-2005 05:16 PM

How very sad. It's one thing that mankind is killing off itself, but we're also taking the plants and animals down with us. :(

P.S. You just killed my appetite for fresh seagoing salmon -- thanks for the warning.

I suppose the polluters in Japan are unaware, and wonder if they'd care anyway.

:( :( :(

And Sandy, do you watch the bear rumps or the bears romp? Or is it maybe bare rumps? ;) :D
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-06-2005 05:59 PM

Iris wrote: And Sandy, do you watch the bear rumps or the bears romp? Or is it maybe bare rumps? ;) :D
ROFLOL :D :D

Now bear with me a little, and I will attempt to explain why I chose to use the word rump, and the word "bear" instead of "bears".

First, "bear" or "bears" can both be the plural of bear.

Then, while it is true that I could have used lumbered, or another adjective, I am not a strict constructionist ;), or an English teacher, so I chose the word "rump" instead of romp. You see, my dear, this is how my mind worked in this matter (strangely, I realize, but I am stuck with it). Mature bear(s) do not romp. When they walk their hips move up and down, and side to side. They have a very interesting gate because their hind legs are massive, and a little longer than their front legs.

So with a little poetic license, I said the bear rump around the yard. ;) :p

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-06-2005 06:07 PM

Perfect explanation -- I think. lol!

So... do you also enjoy watching men rump? (Just had to ask.)
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-06-2005 06:13 PM

Iris wrote: Perfect explanation -- I think. lol!

So... do you also enjoy watching men rump? (Just had to ask.)
ROFLOL It depends on the rump that's doin' the rumpin'. ;)

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-06-2005 06:23 PM

There are definitely some you wouldn't want to ask to bare with you. :D

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-06-2005 06:53 PM

Iris wrote: There are definitely some you wouldn't want to ask to bare with you. :D
:D

Thank you for making me laugh Iris. I have been in such a dark, exhausted, angry, sad, and afraid place, that I dare not post much. It is all to much sometimes.

Love you,
S

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-06-2005 09:46 PM

Too often we forget to laugh, don't we? Laughter is good fer what ails us.

Dr. Iris prescribes you and yer dad watch a funny movie together. Also, go to the pirates joke files in the brig -- 1-tid. ;)

The best things in life are silly. -- Scott Adams, Dilbert

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
--Jean Houston

If taking vitamins doesn't keep you healthy enough, try more laughter: The most wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.
--Nicolas-Sebastien Chamfort

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
--Victor Borge

The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter. -- Mark Twain
Last edited by Iris on 08-06-2005 10:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Moon
Pirate

That's one of our biggest products...

Post by Lord Moon » 08-06-2005 11:57 PM

Poison is our most important product in Corporate America, though we'd like you to think we believe, it's people...

Laird
Pirate

Post by Laird » 08-07-2005 12:44 AM

the fat grizzlies I've observed all have a lumber like gait ... there fat rolls the hair on there front shoulders with every step they take ... can't say as I've ever noticed the rump but I have watched a big ole sow nurse her cubs.

Yes, we humans have fed the water with our technology.
the largest polluter in the ocean is man and his war ship.
Last edited by Laird on 08-07-2005 12:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-07-2005 01:24 AM

Laird wrote: the fat grizzlies I've observed all have a lumber like gait ... there fat rolls the hair on there front shoulders with every step they take ... can't say as I've ever noticed the rump but I have watched a big ole sow nurse her cubs.

Yes, we humans have fed the water with our technology.
the largest polluter in the ocean is man and his war ship.
That is interesting Laird, thank you. I haven't any experience with grizzlies. The bear here on the Olympic Peninsula are black bear. Actually they are not black, but dark brown most of the year. Black bear much more passive than grizzlies, and far smaller. They usually weigh in at between 100-200 pounds for females, and 250-400 for the males.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 08-07-2005 02:13 AM

LOL You gals made me laugh, too! :D Thanks much!
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-07-2005 04:33 AM

Glad we did, Joolz. :D

Sandy, did you take that photo? That bear doesn't look real. I was wondering if you had taken any photos of your bears.

Even at 100-2-- lbs, one wouldn't want to make a black bear mad. A friend of mine hiked up on Mt. Si and spent the night. He'd just gotten to sleep in his sleeping bag when two black bear cubs layed down on his legs to spend the night. Needless to say, he didn't get any more sleep that night, but took pains to stay very quiet and very still. Come the dawn's light, he heard mama bear growl, and the cubs scampered off. It was one night he'll never forget, though!

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-07-2005 04:57 AM

Iris wrote: Glad we did, Joolz. :D

Sandy, did you take that photo? That bear doesn't look real. I was wondering if you had taken any photos of your bears.

Even at 100-2-- lbs, one wouldn't want to make a black bear mad. A friend of mine hiked up on Mt. Si and spent the night. He'd just gotten to sleep in his sleeping bag when two black bear cubs layed down on his legs to spend the night. Needless to say, he didn't get any more sleep that night, but took pains to stay very quiet and very still. Come the dawn's light, he heard mama bear growl, and the cubs scampered off. It was one night he'll never forget, though!
Wow, that is an interesting story! I wouldn't have been able to sleep either!! :eek:

You know it is funny, my dad and I were talking about this just the other day. I have taken photos of frogs, tons of flower and greenery photos, contrails and all sorts of things around here, but none of the deer, bear or raccoon. I had better get my camera at the ready, and see what I can do about that. :)

The photo cam from Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife's Living with wildlife web site.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/blkbear/blkbear.htm

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 08-07-2005 06:42 AM

Very sad news mudwoman:o

Return to “Global”