Snowball's chance in hell????

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Snowball's chance in hell????

Post by kbot » 01-04-2017 07:02 PM

I heard this and immediately thought of all the college professors and administrators collectively slapping their hand to their foreheads and yelling "Over my dead body!!!!!"

Imagine a tuition free college education. While I applaud the idea, I'm thinking that the tenured elitists are more concerned about maintaining their salaries and perks......

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Announces Free College Plan With Bernie Sanders

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo proposed a free college tuition plan on Tuesday, throwing his support behind a position that enjoyed enormous political popularity during the presidential campaign season.

Cuomo, who was joined by free college proponent Sen. Bernie Sanders for the announcement, proposed that students from families making $125,000 or less per year could attend state and city colleges, including community colleges, for free.

New York already spends $1 billion per year on a tuition assistance program that caps awards at $5,165, the New York Times reports. Current in-state tuition at SUNY schools is $6,470. Nearly one million families with college-aged children would qualify, and the plan is estimated to cost $163 million depending on participation.

Hillary Clinton — who proposed a similar plan when she ran for president in 2016 — quickly praised Cuomo’s proposal.
http://time.com/4621407/free-college-an ... -new-york/

In theory, it sounds wonderful - and, why shouldn't education be free, right? But, as we saw with "free healthcare", when the details start to emerge, opposition grows. For example, Senator Elizabeth Warren, while a prof at Harvard (granted, hardly a public or state college) made huge amounts of money.....

Snippet:

Warren Is Wealthy by National Standards, but Positions Herself Outside the Political Elite

According to CNN, in 2015 Warren’s average net worth, including her $5 million home, retirement accounts and mutual funds, was $8.75 million. However in the lead up to the 2012 Senate race, her Personal Financial Disclosure form puts this number much higher – at $14.5 million. Tax returns show that while a professor at Harvard Warren earned a salary of $430,000 per year

http://heavy.com/news/2016/05/elizabeth ... n-sanders/
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Return to “National”