A good traffic stop

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

A good traffic stop

Post by voguy » 07-10-2016 08:37 AM

LINK TO STORY

This is a story from October from last year.
Man’s Facebook post about traffic stop goes viral

TUCSON, Ariz. — A man’s Facebook post about a recent traffic stop is going viral.

Steven Hildreth Jr. says he was pulled over by the Tucson Police Department for a broken headlight. When the officer asked if he had any weapons, he told him he is a concealed carry permit holder and had a gun on his right hip.

Because his wallet was in his back-right pocket, the officer needed to disarm him to check his ID. Hildreth wrote about his experience with the officer and posted it to his Facebook page.

Hildreth’s Facebook post has been shared more than 390,000 times.
So, I’m driving to my office to turn in my weekly paperwork. A headlight is out. I see a Tucson Police Department squad vehicle turn around and follow me. I’m already preparing for the stop.

The lights go on and I pull over. The officer asks me how I’m doing, and then asks if I have any weapons.

“Yes, sir. I’m a concealed carry permit holder and my weapon is located on my right hip. My wallet is in my back-right pocket.”

The officer explains for his safety and mine, he needs to disarm me for the stop. I understand, and I unlock the vehicle. I explain that I’m running a 7TS ALS holster but from the angle, the second officer can’t unholster it. Lead officer asks me to step out, and I do so slowly. Officer relieves me of my Glock and compliments the X300U I’m running on it. He also sees my military ID and I tell him I’m with the National Guard.

Lead officer points out my registration card is out of date but he knows my registration is up to date. He goes back to run my license. I know he’s got me on at least two infractions. I’m thinking of how to pay them.

Officers return with my Glock in an evidence back, locked and cleared. “Because you were cool with us and didn’t give us grief, I’m just going to leave it at a verbal warning. Get that headlight fixed as soon as possible.”

I smile. “Thank you, sir.”

I’m a black man wearing a hoodie and strapped. According to certain social movements, I shouldn’t be alive right now because the police are allegedly out to kill minorities.

Maybe…just maybe…that notion is bunk.

Maybe if you treat police officers with respect, they will do the same to you.

Police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they’re not out to get you.

I’d like to thank those two officers and TPD in general for another professional contact.

We talk so much about the bad apples who shouldn’t be wearing a badge. I’d like to spread the word about an example of men who earned their badges and exemplify what that badge stands for.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Re: A good traffic stop (Update)

Post by voguy » 07-10-2016 08:40 AM

LINK TO STORY

Tucson man reunited with officers after Facebook post goes viral
Jennifer Delacruz
Original: 5:42 PM, Oct 30, 2015
Updated: 10:44 AM, Jul 9, 2016

Watch video at LINK

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A Tucson man's Facebook post has been seen across the world.

Steven Hildreth's post went viral after he shared his positive experience with Tucson Police.

Today, Hildreth got a chance to meet up with those two officers and thank them for their conduct face to face.

"He's a black man wearing a hoodie that was strapped. According to his post. That resonated with people," said officer Anthony Ammon.

Enough people to draw global attention to the Tucson Police Department.

Hildreth's post about his positive experience with two officers went viral, spreading a strong message about the relationship between law enforcement and the community.

In part of his post, he wrote: police officers are people, too. By far and large, most are good people and they're not out to get you.

Friday morning he got a chance to meet them once again.

"I wanted to be able to shake their hand and say thank you for that so thank you very much sir, thank you very much sir," said Steven Hildreth Jr.

The post coming in the wake of ongoing negativity toward law enforcement officials.

"There's obviously social movements where people believe in that situation if they're contacted by two non-African American police officers. That something bad is gonna happen. That's not the case. Treat people with respect you're gonna get treated with respect," said Ammon.

Both officers humbled at the outpouring of gratitude.

"It's nice to know that there's people out there that appreciate us and know that we are out there being professional being respectful and law enforcement, that's who we are," said officer Rafael Rodriguez.

Hildreth hopes his post will spark a trend of sharing positive stories showing respect and recognition to officers everywhere.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Re: A good traffic stop

Post by Doka » 07-10-2016 08:53 AM

Being responsible for our own actions, seems to be such a difficult concept in this day and age. Lot's people want every one to be responsible for them and they demand a "free pass" because.............?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-10-2016 04:20 PM

Doka wrote:Being responsible for our own actions, seems to be such a difficult concept in this day and age. Lot's people want every one to be responsible for them and they demand a "free pass" because.............?
A couple of Black men had the good fortune to be treated with respect by cops and people today have no manners and are irresponsible etc. Plus they kill each other too. And then there's those poor souls who run into badly trained racist cops and lose their lives, leaving their families traumatised for the rest of their lives. There are those who are shot to death when they are unarmed because of untrained, knee jerk reaction racist cops.

I guess these are just mistakes though, and the victims deserve no acknowledgement, no empathy, and no legitimate investigation. They don't live up live up to the expectations of how people should live, so somehow this legitimises getting blown away by cops who have no clue how to professionally communicate. Hell, some of them are lucky that their broken tail light didn't warrant their death. Wow, those cops who do their jobs properly are sure wonderful!

Sorry but I don't need to see it with my own eyes to sympathise and feel the frustration of the people left behind. I feel the same when I see it happen in my own country. And trust me it does and for the same reasons.
Last edited by Raggedyann on 07-12-2016 02:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-10-2016 04:33 PM

Interesting observations made about the Philando Castile shooting.

1. Initial reports about the Philando Castile shooting all came from the now-viral video, which wasn’t as it appeared.

As Castile was bleeding and dying, his girlfriend Lavish “Diamond” Reynolds felt it was the perfect time to live-stream on Facebook, narrating what happened, according to her. Although we already reported on discrepancies in her video, it’s important to mention that all initial reports seemed to take her word. The events reported were not fact. They were allegations from her bizarre video, in which she was eerily calm. Unfortunately, she is a liar, which becomes evident in all the other points to follow.

The video was captured with the rear facing camera option on the phone by Facebook Livestream Video, so the uploaded video is a reversed mirror image. Although it appeared Reynolds was in the driver’s seat and Castile was a passenger, Castile was actually driving the vehicle.

2. Castile wasn’t pulled over for a tail light. He matched the description of an armed robbery suspect.

Castile and Reynolds were pulled over by Saint Anthony, MN, Police Officers Jeronimo Yanez and Joseph Kauser because Castile matched the suspect profile in a BOLO (Be On Look Out) Alert for an armed robbery at a convenience store on July 2 only a few blocks from where the car was pulled over.

The BOLO Alert was issued and images were given to the media and law enforcement officers on July 5. Castile was pulled over on July 6. From the recording of the radio dispatch, it’s evident Officer Yanez pulled Castile over because the officer believed he could be a suspect in the armed robbery.

“I’m going to stop a car. I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over,” Yanez said. “The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery. The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide-set nose.” It was only a minute and a half later that the recording captured the first report that shots were fired.

Castile matched the physical description of the robbery suspect, given by eye witnesses:
[…] The other suspect was described as a black man with shoulder-length dreadlocks, who wore tan pants, tan shoes with white soles, a green jacket, a green baseball cap and glasses, the release says. He also had some of his hair pulled into a bun through the strap on the back of his hat and had a small mustache and facial hair on his chin.
Clothes similar to those noted by the eye witness for the robbery suspect are also seen in Facebook images of Castile. According to a press release from the St. Anthony Police Department, the two convenient store robbery suspects took “cash from the register and cartons of Newport cigarettes,” which just so happens to be what Ms. Diamond Reynolds smokes.

Although it’s still unknown whether Castile actually committed the robbery, Officer Yanez had good reason to believe Castile could be a suspect and that changed the approach toward the vehicle.

3. Castile was armed, but he did NOT have a concealed carry permit (CCP) from the local county sheriff.

When the mirror image of the video is corrected, a gun is seen on Castile’s thigh in part of the footage. This explains why Officer Yanez repeatedly told Reynolds not to reach toward her boyfriend. The firearm also appears to be the same type used in the armed robbery of the convenience store four days earlier, according to The Conservative Treehouse.

Reynolds claimed that Castile was holding a CCP for the firearm, seen resting on his left thigh, but according to a question presented to the local county sheriff who oversees the Concealed Carry Permit process, Castile never requested a concealed carry permit from their office.

While it’s possible that a CCP may have been obtained in another county, there is no factual evidence that Castile had a CCP — only the words of his girlfriend. Although CCP ownership is being amplified by the media, it is largely irrelevant due to the context of the situation. Being a “legal” gun carrier does not mean that one is incapable of doing something illegal with their firearm — lest we forget Omar Mateen?

4. The last thing you need to know is that you don’t know enough.

Many people have spread an entirely false narrative across social media, causing innocent officers to become targets. Therefore, it is crucial that the truth behind the incident is exposed with the same insistence as the rhetoric from Black Lives Matter and others, who are simply uninformed or underinformed.

Additional LINK

And like the Ferguson case where the "Gentle Giant" was shot, Philando Castile was known by the police

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-10-2016 04:59 PM

Maybe it's just me but I don't see a link to the "Interesting Observations" article.

If all this is fact, I find it interesting that the media hasn't been all over it, as they usually are if there is even a hint the cop had reason to fear for his life. This info may have reduced the sympathy level and may not have inspired the Dallas shooter to act when he did.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-10-2016 11:08 PM

Raggedyann wrote:Maybe it's just me but I don't see a link to the "Interesting Observations" article.

If all this is fact, I find it interesting that the media hasn't been all over it, as they usually are if there is even a hint the cop had reason to fear for his life. This info may have reduced the sympathy level and may not have inspired the Dallas shooter to act when he did.

I t is a very interesting observation. Even I don't need a link to it, it IS an "observation", nothing more, nothing less, a "Think Piece", take it or leave it. Why would the media pick it up? Their job these days is to create "Chaos" and they do a fine job of it too. That is why propaganda works so well, it is not the direct lying that is so damaging, it is the omission of certain facts that lead people prone to "frenzy" and blood lust, manufactured rage based on assumptions. All it takes is the moment to think about "Cause and Effect" before jumping to judgment. But, today people are encouraged to act on assumption, they "Drink the Cool-Aid" and never ask "Why". SO rage on.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 07-10-2016 11:28 PM

Doka wrote:
Raggedyann wrote:Maybe it's just me but I don't see a link to the "Interesting Observations" article.

I t is a very interesting observation. Even I don't need a link to it, it IS an "observation", nothing more, nothing less, a "Think Piece", take it or leave it. Why would the media pick it up? Their job these days is to create "Chaos" and they do a fine job of it too. That is why propaganda works so well, it is not the direct lying that is so damaging, it is the omission of certain facts that lead people prone to "frenzy" and blood lust, manufactured rage based on assumptions. All it takes is the moment to think about "Cause and Effect" before jumping to judgment. But, today people are encouraged to act on assumption, they "Drink the Cool-Aid" and never ask "Why". SO rage on.
I would like to know the link to the site where this observation was originally written, if that's OK with you.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-11-2016 10:22 AM

Voguy - thank you for that posting, as I too had seen the pix of the one robbery and would have easily believed it was Castille.
Am going to copy this and save to pass along to others.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-11-2016 05:01 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote:Voguy - thank you for that posting, as I too had seen the pix of the one robbery and would have easily believed it was Castille.
Am going to copy this and save to pass along to others.
There are several posts with the same facts. Spending a half hour to look through all the archives the first one which popped out was from TheFreePatriot, which is not the original author but another site. But in searching the topic more than a few sites have variants of the story, and some have the exact opposite. YMMV

Return to “National”