Reports Coming In of Major Raids by Feds in SE MI and NE OH

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Reports Coming In of Major Raids by Feds in SE MI and NE OH

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 01:33 AM

Something went down this evening, according to what I've been reading around the 'net. Not sure exactly what, but whatever it was, it apparently was something BIG, gauging from the buzz. It involved FBI, Homeland Security, and the Joint Anti-terrorism Task Force.

I'm posting a couple of articles from local sources below. Maybe more will come out tomorrow, or on Monday, when, according to one of the articles, the suspects will appear in court (warrants are sealed by federal court right now).

These could be separate events, but they seem to be connected. They may also be just something local, but from what I'm reading, it sounds bigger than that. We shall see... I'm just posting to give a head's up, based on what I've read so far tonight.

From WXYZ, ABC affiliate in Detroit:
FBI Conducts Raids

Last Update: 2:12 am

(WXYZ) - The FBI was conducting raids Saturday night at multiple locations in southeast Michigan.

Action News has learned Homeland Security and the Joint Anti-terrorism Task Force is also involved in a major operation.

Federal officials would not say who they were targeting or where, but the FBI has set up a command center at the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department in Ann Arbor, where they have brought in two satellite trucks and a radio tower.

Agents have also obtained search warrants and multiple arrests have been made.
From the Sandusky Register:
Police, federal agents in raids in Sandusky, Huron

By SARAH WEBER Sunday, March 28, 2010 12:19 AM EDT

SANDUSKY and HURON

A battalion of local officers and federal agents flooded the Bayshore Estates neighborhood Saturday afternoon.

A second raid was conducted in Huron. An FBI agent at the scene of the Bayshore Estates raid said a second, related raid was taking place at “another location.” Huron police confirmed late Saturday a raid had taken place in that city, but would say nothing more.

Likewise, FBI agents at the scene and at the Cleveland field office are staying mum on the cause of the commotion.

“We did make some arrests,” said special agent Scott Wilson of the FBI’s Cleveland office.

He said the warrants were sealed in federal court and he could not release any information until after the suspects appear in court Monday.

Sandusky Police, Erie County Sheriff’s deputies, agents from Toledo Police Bomb Squad and Cleveland Regional Transit Authority’s K9 Unit assisted at the scene.

Capt. Paul Sigsworth of the Erie County Sheriff’s office said he could not talk about the investigation.

Agents at Bayshore Estates yelled at residents to stay back at least a block from where they conducted the arrest on East Cedarwood Drive. Agents placed a handcuffed white male wearing a black shirt into a silver car.

---Rest of article at link above---
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-28-2010 02:11 AM

Hey, Joolz. Wonder what's going on there. Sounds serious indeed. Know they have many militia-type persons in Michigan.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 02:23 AM

Linnea wrote: Hey, Joolz. Wonder what's going on there. Sounds serious indeed. Know they have many militia-type persons in Michigan.

I was thinking the same thing, Linnea. If it was just FBI, I might think drug raid, but not with Homeland Security and the Joint Anti-terrorism Task Force involved as well. It sounds possibly militia-related to me, too.

I just found another short article about an FBI raid in Indiana, too. If this story is related, then, this raid spanned three states.

From the Chicago Breaking News Center:
FBI agents raid Hammond location

March 27, 2010 10:08 PM

Hammond police assisted with an FBI raid Saturday evening in the Indiana city, but federal officials would not release any details.

Hammond officials did not know the circumstances surrounding the raid, which began at about 7 p.m. and lasted two hours, said a police dispatcher.

The raid occurred on the 1900 block of Calumet Avenue, the dispatcher said. There were no injuries reported.

He said police were not notified ahead of time and only provided traffic control.

"We didn't even know about it until they said, 'hey we need your guys,'" he said.

A representative at the Chicago office of the FBI had no comment Saturday night, saying details might be available Sunday.

--Jared S. Hopkins
Image Anchors Aweigh!

DarkhawkX
Pirate

Post by DarkhawkX » 03-28-2010 03:53 AM

Michigan is also known for its LARGE Muslim Extremist population I would not be so quick to think Militia....

DarkhawkX
Pirate

Post by DarkhawkX » 03-28-2010 03:55 AM

And for the record the Government needs to back off militia`s they are legal and constitutional.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 03-28-2010 08:37 AM

No further information on these raids as yet.

Doing any gardening this year, Darkhawk? Can't remember if you were interested in that. Here's an ongoing thread:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=42256&perpag ... genumber=2

I've got some gardening projects going. Spring is here.

:cool:

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-28-2010 10:55 AM

Thank you for posting this because there isn't much on the news about it, it does look like it might be the Michigan Militia, aren't they the same people that trained Tim McVeigh ? I have been flipping channels all morning and there isn't much on the news about it.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-28-2010 11:18 AM

Something was going down around here as well - not sure what either...except it was local, county and state cops involved. Haven't found anything in newspapers, but have an idea it was drug involved. They had a similar thing with local, county and state a few months ago (in 09) in three locations in the state.

As to these raids - whew, wonder if we will hear more...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-28-2010 11:23 AM

Update:
Massive Federal Raid in Lenawee County

Last Update: 12:19 pm

ADRIAN, Mich. (WXYZ) - The FBI, the Department of Homeland Security and the Joint Anti-Terrorism Task Force are all involved in raids around Adrian that may be connected to a militia group.

The FBI conducted multiple raids throughout Saturday and into Sunday, with one of them centered on a property where known members of a militia live. The land is owned by a man who lives in a house on the property. His sons live in two mobile homes that are also on the property. Saturday's raids were concentrated on those mobile homes.

Helicopters were spotted in the sky for much of the night, and agents set up checkpoints throughout the area, including in Sand Creek and Clayton in Lenawee County. Witnesses tell Action News that it was like a small army had descended on the area.

A command center, including two satellite trucks and a radio tower, had been set up at the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department in Ann Arbor. It has since been dismantled.

Federal agents will not comment on the investigation, only saying that they are serving a number of search warrants and that the warrants are sealed. Action News has learned that an unknown number of arrests have also been made. An unconfirmed report indicated that at least six people were arrested coming into Michigan from Ohio.

Members of a number of militia groups say that the raids are connected to raids in Indiana and Ohio. However, the FBI has not confirmed that.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/Massive- ... OLzvw.cspx

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-28-2010 11:23 AM

This is all I could find this morning.

Arrests Made in Alleged Militia Activity in Midwest

Seven people have been arrested for allegedly selling pipe bombs in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, Fox News has learned.

The arrests and raids in Michigan and Indianapolis are related to alleged militia activity in the region, but are not related to international terrorism. There is not a current threat to the public, according to a law enforcement source.

An official for the FBI's Michigan bureau said initial court appearances are expected in Michigan on Monday.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/28/ar ... y-midwest/

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 01:18 PM

SETIsLady wrote: This is all I could find this morning.

Arrests Made in Alleged Militia Activity in Midwest

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/28/ar ... y-midwest/

Thanks. That sounds right on the money. I read somewhere late last night that there might be a press conference sometime today regarding these raids and arrests, but couldn't find any verification of that. I think we will learn more tomorrow when those arrested appear in court. If I find anything more, I'll post it.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 01:42 PM

Here's something from Ann Arbor.com:
Updated: FBI raids in Washtenaw, Lenawee counties tied to Michigan militia group

Posted: Today, 51 minutes ago

The FBI conducted raids Saturday night in Washtenaw County and Lenawee County in an investigation involving members of Hutaree, a Christian-oriented militia group based in Lenawee County, AnnArbor.com has learned.

The nature of those raids has not been made public. FBI Special Agent Jason Pack, who is based in Washington, D.C., said he did not know how many people were taken into custody. Gina Balaya, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Detroit, could not be reached for comment today.

"I can confirm that there is ongoing law enforcement activity in the Ann Arbor general area," Pack said in a written statement. "Since the federal warrants are under court ordered seal, legally we cannot provide further comment at this time."

Local Michigan militia member Jimmy Schiel said he was told five people were arrested - including one known member of Hutaree. Schiel said the five were reportedly arrested during a raid at a service in the Ann Arbor area for a Hutaree member who died recently. Schiel was told about eight Hutaree members were present. Schiel, who said he was invited but did not attend, spoke to a Hutaree member who was at the service, he said.

Hutaree members couldn't be reached for comment today. As AnnArbor.com reported last week, several Hutaree members were recently involved in searches in Bridgewater Township after two residents went missing in separate incidents. Schiel worked closely with Hutaree members during those searches.

The Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia has not been targeted in any raids, spokesman Mike Lackomar said. The group posted a message on its website today saying, "Neither michiganmilitia.com nor the SMVM have been 'raided' by the FBI. We do nothing illegal."

The FBI set up a command post at the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department late last week. Sheriff's spokesman Derrick Jackson could not be reached this morning.

The FBI conducted multiple raids Saturday and into Sunday in Adrian, and one of them centered on a property where known members of a militia live, the Associated Press reported.

---rest of article at link above---
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 01:47 PM

Hooboy... I won't post any links, but if you want to know, google "Hutaree." :eek:
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-28-2010 02:32 PM

Evidently, the raids are ongoing today.

From Detroit News.com:
FBI raids in Michigan may involve Christian militia group

Jennifer Chambers / The Detroit News
Last Updated: March 28. 2010 2:22PM

The FBI confirmed Sunday there were law enforcement activities in Washtenaw and Lenawee counties over the weekend thatmay be connected to a Christian militia group.

FBI Special Agent Sandra Berchtold told The Detroit Newsthe federal warrants are under court seal, and she declined further comment.

Federal agents are in the second day of raids around the southeastern Michigan city of Adrian that may be connected to a militia group known as the Hutaree.

WXYZ-TV reports that the FBI conducted multiple raids Saturday and into Sunday and that one of them centered on a property where known members of a militia live.

The station says helicopters were spotted in the sky for much of Saturday night, and agents set up checkpoints throughout the area. Witnesses told the station that it was like a small army had descended on the area.

The Department of Homeland Security and the Joint Terrorism Task Force are also involved in the raids.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 03-28-2010 02:47 PM

DarkhawkX wrote: Michigan is also known for its LARGE Muslim Extremist population

Dude...they aren't gonna target them....

Return to “National”