Martial law declared in Arkansas town

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

bonzelite
Pirate

Martial law declared in Arkansas town

Post by bonzelite » 08-15-2008 07:04 PM

Infowars.net:

Areas of a town in Arkansas have been placed under a 24-hour, non-stop curfew described by the mayor as "almost akin to martial law".The lockdown, issued after a spate of robberies, home invasions and shootings, applies to everyone in Helena-West Helena, no matter what age or what time of day it is. Mayor James Valley has indicated thatthe curfew could be extended indefinitely. Residents have described the lockdown as "like being in jail" and critics have slammed it as unconstitutional given that it effectively suspends the fourth amendment.

The ACLU of Arkansas has sent Mayor Valley a letter outlining these concerns: "Imposing house arrest and suspending the Fourth Amendment
for law-abiding people is only going to cause more problems for this city," said ACLU of Arkansas staff attorney Holly Dickson. "They need to work with the community to get this resolved instead of treating all of their citizens like criminals." Such "domestic surges" with
police imposing a martial law-style clampdown are now seemingly becoming standard procedure.

There are countless examples in recent months and years of curfews and lockdowns going into place in areas all across the country. Only two months ago Trinidad, a "troubled" community in northeast D.C., was subject to police checkpoints after a series of shootings. Earlier this year curfews for minors were introduced in Chicago. Back in April we reported on the fact that federal law enforcement agencies co-opted sheriffs offices as well state and local police forces in three states for a vast round up operation that one sheriff's deputy described as "martial law training". The "anti-crime and anti-terrorism initiatives" involving officers from more than 50 federal, state and local agencies was dubbed "Operation Sudden Impact". Earlier this month presumptive Republican nominee John McCain told the National Urban League that military-style invasions modeled on the surge in Iraq should be adopted to control inner city crime in the U.S.

The U.S. government is training local law enforcement agencies on martial law. They have to get as many of them on board as possible before they actually enforce martial law nationally. The government is also trying to get people accustomed to seeing the gestapo on the streets and keeping them 'safe in their homes', and the `criminals' under control. There will be escalation on a larger scale as we get closer to the time that they will try to implement this. We need to fight this unconstitutional rape that is being imposed upon us. I hope you all have firearms in your homes so you can protect yourself and your family.

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-15-2008 07:38 PM

Jeepers. And here I sit in New York City coming up on the anniversary of nine-eleven thanking my lucky stars for law enforcement, for random searches, even enjoying the occassional sound of fighter jets (easily distinguished and albeit few and far between they sometimes appear out of nowhere). I welcome lock downs and curfews if that's what it takes to weed out terrorists and threats.

We either trust our government or we don't. I for one still trust it and don't buy into the be-afraid, be-very afraid-and-arm-yourself theme of this article.

Life as we dreamed it ended seven years ago. It seems entirely feasible to me that our communities and law enforcement be prepared to lock down if that ever became necessary and not get caught again with our guard down.

bonzelite
Pirate

Post by bonzelite » 08-15-2008 08:24 PM

Chickadee wrote: Jeepers. And here I sit in New York City coming up on the anniversary of nine-eleven thanking my lucky stars for law enforcement, for random searches, even enjoying the occassional sound of fighter jets (easily distinguished and albeit few and far between they sometimes appear out of nowhere). I welcome lock downs and curfews if that's what it takes to weed out terrorists and threats.

We either trust our government or we don't. I for one still trust it and don't buy into the be-afraid, be-very afraid-and-arm-yourself theme of this article.

Life as we dreamed it ended seven years ago. It seems entirely feasible to me that our communities and law enforcement be prepared to lock down if that ever became necessary and not get caught again with our guard down.

I wish I shared your idealism and naivete'.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 08-15-2008 10:12 PM

Another McCain vote, fer shure...
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-15-2008 10:50 PM

I am a life long Democrat and don't ever sway. I'm neither naive nor idealistic--I wouldn't survive a New York minute if I were. I'm just not frightened by law and order and the experience of nine-eleven causes me to welcome them and appreciate them.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 08-16-2008 12:02 AM

I agree Chickadee.

In fact, when I read your posts, I warmly remember that brave soul, Patrick Henry, and his most famous "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me safety or give me death!"

And Justice William O. Douglas definitely had it all wrong when he stated, "The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment... Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values." He certainly didn't get it. There might be a terrorist moving around, freely assembling with other terrorists, and discussing gunpowder, plot & gardening!

You don't have to be a supreme court justice to realize that "9/11 changed everything". I say down with liberty & freedom of movement - let the cops issue the hall passes to the deserving few.
Last edited by SquidInk on 08-16-2008 12:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

bonzelite
Pirate

Post by bonzelite » 08-16-2008 03:42 AM

Bobbi Snow wrote: Another McCain vote, fer shure...

Who's voting for McCain... ?? Me? You've got to be joking.

He will be worse than Cheney.

bonzelite
Pirate

Post by bonzelite » 08-16-2008 03:51 AM

Chickadee wrote: I am a life long Democrat and don't ever sway. I'm neither naive nor idealistic--I wouldn't survive a New York minute if I were. I'm just not frightened by law and order and the experience of nine-eleven causes me to welcome them and appreciate them.

I welcome law and order. It keeps society ticking along nicely. The opposite is anarchy and that is unworkable.

How do you draw the conclusion, evidently, that law and order --in general-- is seen as being touted as bad?

And you seriously believe that official inquiries into 911, by the 911 commission particularly --is actually what happened... that despite unknowns, the overall story is that planes flown by Islamic terrorists (external to the US Govt and United States) who went to US flight schools flew into the twin towers? you buy that?

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 08-16-2008 05:51 AM

SquidInk wrote: I agree Chickadee.

In fact, when I read your posts, I warmly remember that brave soul, Patrick Henry, and his most famous "I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me safety or give me death!"

And Justice William O. Douglas definitely had it all wrong when he stated, "The right to travel is a part of the 'liberty' of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment... Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values." He certainly didn't get it. There might be a terrorist moving around, freely assembling with other terrorists, and discussing gunpowder, plot & gardening!

You don't have to be a supreme court justice to realize that "9/11 changed everything". I say down with liberty & freedom of movement - let the cops issue the hall passes to the deserving few.

LOL
:D :D :D
shimmeringaurora(at)yahoo(dot)com

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-16-2008 08:52 AM

And you seriously believe that official inquiries into 911, by the 911 commission particularly --is actually what happened...

I do. I was there.

Appreciate your humor Squid. But you don't sway me. I still have faith in law and order. And you can all laugh at me all you like.

I won't carry a gun. And I have faith in this country. And, believe it or not, I'm a democrat who isn't voting McCain and wouldn't vote for a Republican if she can in rainbow colors.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-16-2008 09:28 AM

Chickadee wrote: I do. I was there.

Though September 11th affected the entire world, this is a perspective that most of us don't share. A little respect, if you please. Watching it unfold on CNN in the comfort of your living room couch doesn't quite count.

And before you waste your time going off on me, I'm a Republican who's voting for Obama.

As far as the Arkansas business, I'd like to see it reported from another source, frankly.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 08-16-2008 09:43 AM

I can't Live.

Let me just say that the one thing CNN could never convey in the way it unfolded in real life is the humanity in this city--all of the city, not merely ground zerod--all of it. We felt so vulnerable and would have continued feeling vulnerable if not for the men and women in law enforcement--and in the armed forces. Seeing men and women in uniform with weapons, seeing convoys, fighter jets, knowing fellow citizens were protecting us, well, there's just no way to describe how that feels other than it feels good and secure, and, I will forever be in debt to all of those people and they have my undying support and respect.

And the sounds and smell. round the clock acrid smoke, eerie sounds of car alarms going on and on and on, and the mile or more long convoys of refridgerated trucks to carry remains...

This is one consipracy theory that doesn't fly. In fact, I'll go so far as to call it A$$inie, insulting, and full of bull crap.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-16-2008 09:48 AM

Thank you, Chickadee. As we indeed approach the seventh anniversary, the perspective of yourself and your fellow New Yorkers becomes increasingly invaluable. I appreciate yer sharing it here, despite the scorn displayed in some of these posts. Perhaps on the actual day we should start a special thread.......
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-16-2008 09:56 AM

Live365 wrote: As far as the Arkansas business, I'd like to see it reported from another source, frankly.
Here ya go Laura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDqSROFzDPk

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-16-2008 10:28 AM

When crimes rise so high in certain areas, it is time to take more drastic measures. You don't have the money to post a police officer in the area 24/7 -- what do you do?

In one area, drug houses and drug dealings took over a neighborhood. The cops would come, but the drug dealers seems to know exactly when and where they would arrive and just move out - temporarily. What to do - a 'vigilante' group formed... with the help of undercover agents. Results - two months they caught, incarcerated seven different groups of drug dealers. AND yes a curfew was imposed - later removed.

Shops were suffering from teenage shoplifters - during school hours - these teens were drop outs, truants and kids who were "home sick". A "semi-curfew" was set up during the daytime - to catch these groups of minors who should be in school. Crimes went down.

Return to “National”