Offshore Oil Drilling and the World Market

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Offshore Oil Drilling and the World Market

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 07-11-2008 12:44 PM

I was watching CNN and just saw Barack Obama make the statement that if we started offshore drilling today, not only would it take 7 years before we saw any oil, but it would not put a dent in prices, since any oil obtained would simply go on the world oil market and we'd be competing with China and India for the supply.

A little digging shows he's right.

So, my question would be whether there are newer safer technologies that can cut down on the risk of spills. Then, assuming it's true, why couldn't we simply pass a law stating that any oil obtained from offshore oil drilling can only be sold on the US market?

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 07-11-2008 01:40 PM

Because those that own the rights to those oil rigs would influence the votes by buying those votes from our freely elected officials. It would then be convoluted in some B.S. legal paper stating that free trade...blah blah or something like that, but it would die a political death. Or...they would have some kind of disaster occur when the vote was to take place and it would go away.

It is not in the best interest of the Global PTB. They have their boardgames of RISK and we are just pieces on it.
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

TexasGuy
Pirate

Re: Offshore Oil Drilling and the World Market

Post by TexasGuy » 07-12-2008 12:46 AM

Conspiracy Theorist wrote: I was watching CNN and just saw Barack Obama make the statement that if we started offshore drilling today, not only would it take 7 years before we saw any oil, but it would not put a dent in prices, since any oil obtained would simply go on the world oil market and we'd be competing with China and India for the supply.

A little digging shows he's right.

So, my question would be whether there are newer safer technologies that can cut down on the risk of spills. Then, assuming it's true, why couldn't we simply pass a law stating that any oil obtained from offshore oil drilling can only be sold on the US market?

Dig a little deeper.

May I suggest the "Energy Non-Crisis" by Lindsey Williams.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7167011147

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-12-2008 10:29 AM

Anyone watch the Oil Riggers doing the drilling and producing in 55 days?

Anyone hear about the oil rigs in the Gulf - owned by US oil companies that sent the oil to US refineries? You know the ones that suffered minor damages from Katrina. The ones the US congress critters are refusing to give permits to repair? ODD isn't it?

Odd too that some of the oil drillers are already getting oil up in the Dakotas... didn't take them long.

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 07-12-2008 02:20 PM

Heard about this briefly before TexasGuy. Has any Congressperson stepped up?

oh, by the way, thanks for the link. :) You gave the details to my rant! :D
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

TexasGuy
Pirate

Post by TexasGuy » 07-12-2008 10:47 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Anyone watch the Oil Riggers doing the drilling and producing in 55 days?

Anyone hear about the oil rigs in the Gulf - owned by US oil companies that sent the oil to US refineries? You know the ones that suffered minor damages from Katrina. The ones the US congress critters are refusing to give permits to repair? ODD isn't it?

Odd too that some of the oil drillers are already getting oil up in the Dakotas... didn't take them long.

Well my dear CK, perhaps peace on earth is possible.

TexasGuy
Pirate

Post by TexasGuy » 07-12-2008 10:51 PM

vigo wrote: Heard about this briefly before TexasGuy. Has any Congressperson stepped up?

oh, by the way, thanks for the link. :) You gave the details to my rant! :D
Are you kidding? Of course they aren't going to. Even the two or three honest ones know when to keep there mouths shut.

No, it's up to all of us to make force them to tell the truth. Ans since that will never happen, I guess we're just screwed.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-13-2008 11:35 AM

Of course we can insist that the oil that is drilled by USA goes to USA refineries and not to world markets. In another article - maybe someone can still find it on net -- seems one state approved building a NEW refinery - mainly to handle oil from the Dakota wells...

---
Then in later news - an oil drilling that was approved got reversed by some judge in 2005 --

---
Oh question when was the last oil rig spill? (not talking about tankers hauling oil, but oil rigs...in USA waters?)

TexasGuy
Pirate

Post by TexasGuy » 07-13-2008 02:22 PM

CK, did you watch the video "energy non-crisis" ?

If not, you should, as should every American.

They have already discovered, tested and proven the largest oil deposit in North America, equal or larger than Saudi Arabia, and possibly the largest in the world. This happened 20+ years ago, and the information was classified.

Since then, they've discovered another of equal size.

There is enough oil to run this country independently for 200-400 years.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-13-2008 02:27 PM

Adam Smith here. You Amerikan yokels don't know squat about money. Lemme set ya straight...

The oil companies put the guns to the head of the Iraqi Government to get the bid-free contracts so that they could keep the oil in the ground. Get real! Would you sell a collectible this year for $200 if, by waiting two years, you could sell it for $400? Well, there you go...

Ditto for the offshore drilling. Drill that pump, cap that well, kill the local wildlife, and wait for the good times to roll!

Look, folks, I may be the patron saint of Reaganite laissez-faire capitalism, but the reality is that my perspective always was a little more complex. As I told you almost a quarter of a millennium ago in The Wealth of Nations, whenever two or three businessmen get together, within twenty minutes the conversation always turns to ways in which to defraud the public. Don't say that I didn't warn you about my friends!

Luv and kisses!

Adam "Mr. Invisible Hand" Smith
Last edited by joequinn on 07-13-2008 02:29 PM, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-14-2008 11:59 AM

TexasGuy -- knew about the 20 yr bit already :)

Also caught a bit on oil rigers 55 days from drilling to production. 300 barrels a day -- from one of the rig groups. ALL done in the 55 day time element. That really makes me chuckle at those who keep insisting it is gonna take years and years....

Too bad this is not being touted as front page news everywhere... but gee only those who can actually watch the shows will know....

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 07-15-2008 04:17 AM

Cherry Kelly wrote: ---
Oh question when was the last oil rig spill? (not talking about tankers hauling oil, but oil rigs...in USA waters?)

You got me curious about that and I did some digging.

http://emac.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2008/ ... se-spills/

Anyway, it seems like the last major spill was the Santa Barbara spill in 1969, but there was some leakage during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 07-15-2008 10:10 AM

Thank you -- kinda what I thought - had heard of very minor spills with hurricanes - but could not remember last major one.

Cynthia Lynn
Pirate

Post by Cynthia Lynn » 07-16-2008 01:45 PM

joequinn wrote: Adam Smith here. You Amerikan yokels don't know squat about money. Lemme set ya straight...

The oil companies put the guns to the head of the Iraqi Government to get the bid-free contracts so that they could keep the oil in the ground. Get real! Would you sell a collectible this year for 0 if, by waiting two years, you could sell it for 0? Well, there you go...

Ditto for the offshore drilling. Drill that pump, cap that well, kill the local wildlife, and wait for the good times to roll!

Look, folks, I may be the patron saint of Reaganite laissez-faire capitalism, but the reality is that my perspective always was a little more complex. As I told you almost a quarter of a millennium ago in The Wealth of Nations, whenever two or three businessmen get together, within twenty minutes the conversation always turns to ways in which to defraud the public. Don't say that I didn't warn you about my friends!

Luv and kisses!

Adam "Mr. Invisible Hand" Smith

Bingo! It's all about the bottom line.

Return to “National”