Ex-Manson follower dying, seeks release from prison (Susan A

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Ex-Manson follower dying, seeks release from prison (Susan A

Post by Iris » 06-13-2008 07:33 PM

Source: CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Former Manson family member Susan Atkins has requested a "compassionate release" from prison because she has less than six months to live, a California prisons spokeswoman said Friday.

Atkins, 60, was convicted in the 1969 slayings of actress Sharon Tate and four others. She had been incarcerated at the California Institution for Women in Frontera, California.

But Atkins has been hospitalized since March 18 and is listed in serious condition, state corrections department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said. Because of privacy laws, Thornton would not disclose the nature of Atkins' illness.

But Atkins' husband and attorney, James Whitehouse, was quoted as saying she has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, according to a blog called Manson Family Today. She also has had a leg amputated, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday, citing sources close to the case.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/13/man ... index.html

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 07-02-2008 01:02 PM

I actually knew James Whitehouse once, although I haven't spoken to him in years. He met and married Susan Atkins back in the 80's, and has stood by her over the years. He actually obtained a Harvard Law Degree in the 90's so that he would have the right to represent her at parole hearings. Although licensed, at last contact, he never actually practiced law publically, and had only one client...his wife.

Susan Atkins is dying and could be given compassionate release. She is no danger to anyone at this point, but I predict it would be politically unthinkable to release her, even though her release would be purely symbolic. She will not leave the hospital, and a compassionate release would only serve to remove the 24-hour guard from the hospital door. But, she is convicted of something like 7 murders, even if she didn't actually kill anyone....she confessed to killing Sharon Tate, but that killing was actually done by Tex Watson.

You can imagine the public reaction to the news if she were given compassionate release. I believe the governor would have to sign off on it, and you know that won't happen.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 07-02-2008 02:07 PM

She should consider herself lucky that Dubya and former Attorney General Gonzales are not able to do a Carla Fay Tucker on her: "pleassssse don't kill meeeeeee, har, har, har."
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-02-2008 02:33 PM

Sure they are taking good care of her where she's at....

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 07-02-2008 02:45 PM

No sympathy for her whatsoever. None.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 07-02-2008 02:54 PM

HurricaneJoanie wrote: No sympathy for her whatsoever. None.

Ditto

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 07-02-2008 03:28 PM

Though I'll admit 30 years later that something very small tugs at your heart when you think of how these young females were manipulated (and as Conspiracy Theorist points out may or may not have had a major role in the actual killings), I for the most part agree with Shirley and Joanie. Every five years, it seems, these women come out and insist they don't need to be in jail anymore, for whatever reason. And Susan Atkins, at least according to the accounts, was particularly psychotic. Everyone who is sentenced to life in prison will die in prison. She is not a special case. I don't know why they think they are, these women. Even Charlie seems content to stay where he's at...........
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 07-02-2008 06:53 PM

Live, your first sentence perfectly describes how I feel about this as well.

Really conflicting emotions to be honest, I don't see how a one-legged woman with terminal brain cancer is a threat to society, and the compassionate part of me, as well as the part of me that believes that prison time is better served as rehabiliation as opposed to punishment, would like to see her released based upon the small amount of information I have here.

On the flipside, there is also a part of me that views prison as earned punishment (certainly in this case), and further thinks that if the families of the victims in this case would be caused further grief by her release, then she should not be released.

My sympathy ultimately lies with the families of the victims of course (except when it comes to capital punishment - which I support under zero circumstances), so I would probably lean towards Susan Atkins laying the bed in she has made for herself.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

I would probably lean towards Susan Atkins laying the bed in she has made for herself.

Me too. Except. Its easy to see it this way (for me) because I'm not seeing her face to face. If I met her, I would probably advocate for compassionate release.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 07-02-2008 07:24 PM

Chickadee wrote: Me too. Except. Its easy to see it this way (for me) because I'm not seeing her face to face. If I met her, I would probably advocate for compassionate release.

Really good point Chickadee, it's so much easier to base an opinion on this when we are so detached from the situation.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 07-02-2008 07:37 PM

HurricaneJoanie wrote: No sympathy for her whatsoever. None.

I totally agree !
All hear few listen

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 07-02-2008 08:02 PM

Kaztronic wrote: Really conflicting emotions to be honest, I don't see how a one-legged woman with terminal brain cancer is a threat to society....

On the flipside, there is also a part of me that views prison as earned punishment...

My sympathy ultimately lies with the families of the victims of course.... towards Susan Atkins laying the bed in she has made for herself.

Kaz -- And Cickadee! -- rent the movie "Helter Skelter". Not that weird one made in the 2000's, but the good one made in the late 70's. Susan Atkins was a FREAK. Manipulated by Charles Manson, but a freak just the same. I have more sympathy for the other two.

If I recall, she was the one that cut the fetus out of Ms. Tate's body. Then bragged about it in prison, which was what blew the case open. You need to be really demented, to do that. As I know you agree.

She has a brain tumor. That's too bad. So do a lot of innocent people......
Last edited by Live365 on 07-02-2008 08:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 07-02-2008 08:35 PM

Thanks Live, I'll check out the movie. I had no idea she did that, I can't imagine the mindset where it would occur to a person to do that. It's beyond horrifying.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-02-2008 08:41 PM

I say show her the same compassion they showed while brutalizing and murdering those innocent people. My compassion lies with families that lost loved ones at the hands of these people. She needs to stay right where she is.
She has a brain tumor. That's too bad. So do a lot of innocent people......
Spot on Laura.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-02-2008 08:48 PM

Also I dont support the death penalty but she already got a break when her death sentence was commuted to life. After California changed the law. She had been sentenced to die.

Kaz....these were brutal murders. But if you are interested in more information, wiki is a good place to start.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Atkins

Return to “National”