Another construction "accident" in NYC this mornin

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Chickadee
Pirate

Another construction "accident" in NYC this mornin

Post by Chickadee » 05-30-2008 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section for this post. My apologies if it's in the wrong spot.

A crane collapsed again this morning, two blocks up the avenue from where I live in NYC. I just got back from being outside with the dogs and it is utter chaos out there.

We have a new subway under construction here too on Second Avenue and this has created a glut of new construction of hi-rise apartments. They've been going up faster than weeds on every available corner here, and, if a corner wasn't available, somehow the small buildings and shops were suddenly condemned, demolished, and a new hi rise is built.

The neighborhood here is no longer a neighborhood. It is becoming more and more like mid-town Manhattan. Those of us who have lived here for thirty or more years are fed up with the rats from the immense amount of garbage, from the traffic, the noise. We are simply becoming over-populated up here, and, the occupants of these new luxury buildings seem to be in a bubble protected by their services from seeing all the issues.

Here's my rant: a neighbor was just being interviewed on the local news station about what she saw and heard and was asked about her feelings--well, ask a New Yorker how she feels and she will not hesitate to get on her platform LOL. This person began to discuss the major problems we are facing here with this construction and the greed of the construction conglomerates (eg, Rudin and Co here) and the politicians who pander to them and turn a blind eye to their rush to build.

The interviewer, cut her short and said something like "well there are many of us who moved into those buildings and live there and we can't criticize the construction companies who do a good job."

We can't criticize the construction companies? Excuse me? He asked her for her feelings and even asked her to talk what the people in the street were discussing. This was it. We are talking about the greed and the destruction of our neighborhood.

I'm furious that he shut her up like that.

My heart goes out to my neighbors and the construction workers who are now dead or critically injured, and, the families who have now lost their homes.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-30-2008 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear about this, just read this from my NYP newsletter, yes this is the right place to post this news.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 05-30-2008 10:17 AM

Yes I just read this myself, sending prayers :(

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 05-30-2008 10:37 AM

The politicians and officials are speaking now. This sort of thing brings out so much spin a person can get whiplash just from listening.

It is a beautiful day here, not unlike another beautiful day here, and residents are walking around not quite knowing where to go or what to do. It appears that everyone in the buildings got out ok. Most got their dogs, all got their children thank Heaven. Not sure about their cats (cats always get the short end of disasters like this).

Imagine stepping out of your building on a beautiful morning when a crane breaks in two and falls twenty stories right before your eyes. The poor people :(

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-30-2008 10:41 AM

Thank you for the update Chickadee, glad that everyone got out, also our little creature friends.....you bet the media is out of control.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-30-2008 11:15 AM

Another crane goes boom and falls. After reading the story about the first crane collapse (high wind problems) and now this one -- wind too?? Makes one wonder about the safety of cranes.

Wonder how soon they will have some big investigation on these high rise cranes and discover shoddy workmanship, or some such. At least the NYC one resulted in no deaths.

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 05-30-2008 11:28 AM

No wind here today to speak of. One person had died thus far, three are critically wounded, and they are still digging in the debris.

The experts are speculating that there was a mechanical failure or error that caused the top pivoting portion of the crane to snap off. So, the crane didn't collapse. The top portion of it carrying the load broke and fell twenty stories.

There is simply too much construction going on here, with buildings go up too quickly. One wonders where the planning commission is.

And on a daily basis as I traverse these streets and avoid construction sites, what I see makes me wonder, whatever happened to OSHA? Workers tearing into concrete with Jack hammers, and not wearing any eye protection or ear protection. Others demolishing buildings working in the dust and debris without face masks to protect them. And many, many going about their jobs without hard hats and gloves.

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 05-30-2008 01:06 PM

Chickadee wrote: And on a daily basis as I traverse these streets and avoid construction sites, what I see makes me wonder, whatever happened to OSHA? Workers tearing into concrete with Jack hammers, and not wearing any eye protection or ear protection. Others demolishing buildings working in the dust and debris without face masks to protect them. And many, many going about their jobs without hard hats and gloves.

The things you mention are all definitely OSHA violations, and even though OSHA is stretched thin in NY (and everywhere), they will respond to a complaint about hazards. The number in Manhattan is (212) 337-2378, or 1-800-321-OSHA from anywhere.

Crane inspection--which is, as we can painfully see, very important--is generally under the purview of local building and housing authorities, not Federal OSHA.

Oh--if you call them, please don't mention my name. Seriously.
Anchors Aweigh

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-30-2008 02:39 PM

short note - wouldn't let me edit --

now reporting two have died from NYC crane collapse...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-30-2008 02:47 PM

Deadly Crane Collapse Shocks New York
By VERENA DOBNIK,AP
Posted: 2008-05-30 14:40:13
Filed Under: Nation News
NEW YORK (May 30) -- A construction crane collapsed Friday on New York's Upper East Side, smashing into a 23-story apartment building as it fell to the ground, killing at least two people.

It was the second deadly crane accident in 2½ months in the city, which is undergoing a building boom. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the latest collapse was "unacceptable," and the city would investigate.
Link

Chickadee
Pirate

Post by Chickadee » 05-30-2008 03:36 PM

Thank you for that OSHA number. I can assure you, I will use it (won't mention your name).

There have been people out there all day with their luggage hailing taxis downtown on Second Avenue. I think they are still not allowing some into several buildings.

I haven't been able to get into my favorite (read that cheapest) grocery store yet today as it is still blocked off.

Most of this city is mired in bueracracy but the men and women who make up our fire and police departments are just the best. They've been doing a truly admirable job here all day keeping things running as smoothly as possible.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-30-2008 03:44 PM

Most of this city is mired in bueracracy but the men and women who make up our fire and police departments are just the best. They've been doing a truly admirable job here all day keeping things running as smoothly as possible.

Thank you so much Chickadee for mentioning the fire and police departments they never get enough praise, my ex is a retired Fire Chief, I know first hand what it is all about and the risk they face everyday for us.:)

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-30-2008 05:48 PM

This not only saddens me, it makes me angry. I realize accidents are bound to happen from time to time, but twice in three months, when there had been (I'm hearing) OSHA violations at this 2nd site, as well?

These cranes (which are all over Los Angeles, too) scare the bejeezuss out of me. I won't drive under one, unless I'm trapped in traffic with no way to turn and drive 2 miles to get away from it. I HATE them. They have always frightened me.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 05-30-2008 05:54 PM

Chickadee,

Your first-hand account is so appreciated. I'm sorry the subject matter is so grim and reflects an unhappy living condition for you.

Even in the South, where I live, such accidents (including blatant personal safety issues) are becoming more commonplace because with so much heavy construction going on, the odds are more favorable.

It's not just happening in the City, but everywhere.

HJ
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-30-2008 06:02 PM

I wonder if the steel for those cranes are made in China as it is a big importer of steel.

Return to “National”