Shirleypal
Pirate

Breaking:Ambulances Sent To Mine Command Center Another Coll

Post by Shirleypal » 08-16-2007 09:30 PM

Ambulances Sent To Mine Command Center
Local Radio Station Reports Another Collapse

POSTED: 10:10 pm EDT August 16, 2007
UPDATED: 10:21 pm EDT August 16, 2007

At least four ambulances were reportedly sent Thursday night to the command center at the Utah mine where six miners are trapped.

It's unclear why they were dispatched. As one ambulance left, a person could be seen performing chest compressions on another person inside the vehicle. Emery County Sheriff Lamar Guymon declined to comment.

"We are in an emergency situation," mine owner Bob Murray was reported as telling CNN.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1391 ... 0208162007
Crews had been continuing to slowly dig a path to the men's presumed location. The miners have been trapped since the mine collapsed Aug. 6.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-16-2007 09:45 PM

They had what is described as a "Mountain Bump" which is an explosion force underground from the walls with extreme force which has hit the rescue workers. More ambulances sent, 5 injured 2 critical.........what a tragic mess.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-16-2007 09:54 PM

Now they are saying that at least nine rescue workers have been injured.:(

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-16-2007 10:04 PM

Four ambulances, two helicopters dispatched to scene
MSNBC video

Rescue workers injured
Aug. 16: Rescue workers were injured Thursday at the site of the Utah mine collapse. George Lewis reports.
MSNBC

Digging, waiting
View images of the rescue effort at the Utah mine, as well as loved ones waiting for word.

No sign of the trapped miners in Utah
1st report on Indiana mine deaths is released but offers few details
BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
HUNTINGTON, Utah - At least nine rescue workers were injured Thursday night in an accident at the Crandall Canyon Mine, the Mine Safety and Health Administration said.

At least four ambulances and two medical helicopters rushed to the mine after 9 p.m. EDT. One person taken to Castleview Hospital in Price was seen being resuscitated.

There was a “mountain bump” inside the mine, according to a hospital official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not allowed to release information.

A bump commonly refers to pressure inside the mine that shoots coal from the walls with great force.

This breaking news story will be updated
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20283387/

spaceprophet
Pirate

This happened because of retreat mining...and profiteering

Post by spaceprophet » 08-17-2007 12:06 AM

All this terrible loss of life, pain and suffering because the company was using retreat mining as a way to maximize profits.

Retreat mining is the most dangerous, controversial, and irresponsible way to mine for coal. But the most profitable.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. - Jack Handey

knightowl04
Pirate

Post by knightowl04 » 08-17-2007 12:07 AM

According to CNN around 1:00am (EST) AP reported that **2 rescue workers** have been killed and 7 injured. I cant find that article however...

Horrible, sad news. My heart goes the families :(

knightowl04
Pirate

Post by knightowl04 » 08-17-2007 12:46 AM

Sadly the number of fatalities is now up to 3, according to CNN, out of the 9.

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 08-17-2007 01:34 AM

This story really does just keep getting worse.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-17-2007 01:52 AM

most dangerous, controversial, and irresponsible way to mine for coal
How in the world did they find workers willing to go down there to work those dangerous mines in the first place? What would cause someone to do so and for what? You couldn't pay me enough to go down there, no freaking way, not even at gun point.

This is all so horrible. Yet, will anyone learn anything from this? Are other miners elsewhere even paying attention to this? Why would anyone continue to stick their heads into a lions mouth knowing this will happen again, and again, and again? This is like playing Russian roulette.

Well, I hope they will eventually find those lost miners alive . . . provided nobody will ever go down there ever again.

budeone
Pirate

Post by budeone » 08-17-2007 06:50 AM

Very sad.
"BUSH" The Worst President in History...

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/512/ ... vg4ce3.jpg

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-17-2007 11:12 AM

Divinorumus wrote: How in the world did they find workers willing to go down there to work those dangerous mines in the first place? What would cause someone to do so and for what? You couldn't pay me enough to go down there, no freaking way, not even at gun point.

This is all so horrible. Yet, will anyone learn anything from this? Are other miners elsewhere even paying attention to this? Why would anyone continue to stick their heads into a lions mouth knowing this will happen again, and again, and again? This is like playing Russian roulette.

Well, I hope they will eventually find those lost miners alive . . . provided nobody will ever go down there ever again.

Let me see if I get this straight.

You are blaming the MINERS and not the mine owners?

Those mine owners (good capitalists all) who paid well to have mine safety issues blunted (aren't lobbyists wonderful?) while receiving "corporate welfare" in the form of subsidies (YOUR tax dollars at work).

Are you beginning to see the fatal flaws in the libertarian/randite philosophy (cult)?

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-17-2007 11:16 AM

When the current fascist cabal finally breaks all of the unions, YOU (or someone like you) WILL go down in that mine........ at gun point.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-17-2007 11:33 AM

"Dark as a Dungeon

Come and listen you fellows
So young and do fine
And seek not your fortune
In the dark, dreary mines

It will form as a habit
Seep in your soul
'Til the blood in your veins
Runs as black as the coal

There's many a man
That I've known in my day
Who lived just to labor
His whole life away

Like a fiend with his dope
And a drunkard his wine
A man will have lust for
The lure of the mine

It's dark as a dungeon
Damp as the dew
The danger is double
And the pleasures are few

Where the rain never falls
Where the sun never shines
It's dark as a dungeon
Way down in the mine

I hope when I'm gone
And the ages shall roll
My body will blacken
And turn into coal

Then I'll look out the door
Of my heavenly home
And I'll pity the miners
A-diggin' my bones

It's dark as a dungeon
Damp as the dew
The danger is double
And the pleasures are few

It's dark as a dungeon
Way down in the mine

It's dark as a dungeon
Way down in the mine"

Author unknown (traditional), sung by Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and (gasp) Jerry Garcia (but not as a trio.... which would have been interesting).

And what was it that Tennessee Ernie Ford sang?........ "I owe my soul to the company store".

Don't worry, Div. It's just bidness.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-17-2007 12:23 PM

You are blaming the MINERS and not the mine owners?
Stop making up stuff I did not say. I didn't even mention the word blame, nor was I attempting to assign any.

Since it was mentioned how dangerous this type of mine was, I was simply stating how shocked I was that anyone would work there and go into such a mine. I mean, would you stick your head into a lions mouth knowing what you know about lions? Is there a price at which you would? Think about this man. Sure, the owner of that mine has a lot of responsibility in all this, but what has happened to individual responsibility too?

It seems to me you have something personal against me, as opposed to us merely having differences of opinions, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to put words in my mouth like that. Of course I could be wrong about that myself and putting words in your mouth too, so I'll keep assuming we love each other instead. :)

I just hope other miners learn from all this. If they do and can, maybe these tragedies won't ever happen again because nobody will feel it's worth risking their life for coal like this.

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-17-2007 01:06 PM

Why do they work in the mines?

Have you ever heard the terms "poverty", "hunger" and "debt"?

And do be careful with your talk of the workers refusing to go into the mines. Such an action, you see, would require organization and that spells UNION and such talk always angers the von misian "free marketeers" and they will likely hang your ass.

Just ask Joe Hill.

Return to “National”