BREAKING: Turn on the News! Major Freeway Bridge Collapse

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 08-02-2007 08:30 PM

Laura, I am very sorry about the loss of your cousin, Patrick. He is in my thoughts and prayers, as are you and your family.

Take care, my friend,

Craig
racehorse

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-02-2007 08:50 PM

Laura your cousin is listed here, so sorry.

As crews continued to search the Mississippi River on Thursday for victims, the Hennepin County medical examiner released the names of the four confirmed dead in the accident:

Sherry Lou Engebretsen, 60, of Shoreview, who died of multiple blunt-force injuries.

Julia Blackhawk, 32, of Savage, who died of blunt-force trauma.

Patrick Holmes, 36, of Mounds View, who drowned.

Artemio Trinidad-Mena, 29, of Minneapolis, who died of blunt-force injuries.

There were at least 80 injured, according to Dr. John Hick, of the Hennepin County Medical Center

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/1380 ... 0208022007

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-02-2007 09:12 PM

Shirleypal wrote: Laura your cousin is listed here, so sorry.

Patrick Holmes, 36, of Mounds View, who drowned.

God. You have no idea. How much I love you guys.

Patrick had black hair and blue eyes. A true Irishman. He loved St. Paul.

I know that my mother will have more details when she calls on Saturday. Until then, not good. We're all pretty wasted.

Sorry to turn this into an "Oprah" thread, but I can't believe the Love of the Pirates!

THANK YOU.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

vigo
Chief Swabbie

Post by vigo » 08-03-2007 01:29 AM

Laura, so sorry to hear of your loss. We will keep Patrick and your family in our prayers.

Such a sad and tragic event.

Peace.
Well, better late than never, I suppose... Joe Quinn. ;)

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-03-2007 01:33 AM

Laura, I am so sorry for your loss. A sudden , senseless loss is the worst. I am holding you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

knightowl04
Pirate

So sorry

Post by knightowl04 » 08-03-2007 01:54 AM

You dont know me... but I have visited the FF for some time now.

This evening I felt compelled to post and extend my deepest condolences to your family.

Although I dont always post... in some small way I wanted to express my sorrow for those affected by this tragedy. I always pray for those in need... I will keep them in my thoughts in the coming days and months.

My heart goes out to all.

All the best,

Knightowl04

Shimmering Auro
Pirate

Post by Shimmering Auro » 08-03-2007 06:23 PM

So sorry for your loss, Live365.

I will light a candle for your family and ask the Universe to watch over all who loved and cared for Patrick. I'm so incredibly sorry this tragedy took your loved one away. Peace to you, my friend.
shimmeringaurora(at)yahoo(dot)com

IronsGold
Pirate

Post by IronsGold » 08-03-2007 06:57 PM

Laura, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers. I know how difficult this time is, but I also know that you, as my favorite sparring partner, will have the strength to help your family deal with this terrible tragedy.

Biker also asked me to send his condolences.
"What fresh hell is this?"
Dorothy Parker

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 08-03-2007 07:38 PM

The Lord knows how much I love you guys. When I shared this with my colleagues at work (98 percent of whom are Libral :D ) and whom I hold almost as dear as I hold You, they said the proper things, then started screaming with their passion (that I understand:)). . “We spend 60 billion dollars a month re-building Baghdad”, said Deanna, “yet we can’t fix our own bridges!!”.

May God help me, I think I might actually agree.

It’s kinda surreal, living private tragedy out publicly. I had the pleasure of hearing a CNN reporterette describe exactly how Pat died. Didn’t need it. But I do need you.

The Lord knows how much I love you guys. Thank You.

Please keep Patrick and his Family in your prayers.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-03-2007 07:49 PM

(((((((((((((Laura))))))))))))) :)

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-03-2007 08:43 PM

Drowning, what a horrible way to go. I remember the time I was watching a news story long ago, just after a heavy 10" rainfall, and they were reporting on a story where a teenager was playing around near a ditch of fast moving water which swept his feet out from underneath him and he was carried away into a drainage tunnel running under a road . . . and the other end of it was covered with a heavy grating. Because of the force of the water and the length of the tunnel, he was unable to make it back to the end into which he was carried. He of course drowned. I had nightmares later because of seeing that story. A senseless needless tragedy for sure, but drowning is the last way I would ever want to go (I suppose this is why waterboarding is so effective, people will say or do anything to avoid even thinking about drowning, even when they know they are just being interrogated and won't actually drown).

I don't have a TV now, nor have I watched any of this bridge collapse video footage on the internet, although I have looked at a few dozen still photos, and that's enough for me. I have to admit my greatest fear is drowning, and this is the result of one of a few dreams I had when I was 8 years old. Of course this does not mean I'm afraid of the water, in fact I'm a proficient enough swimmer that you could dump me in the middle of any lake and I'll make it back to shore just fine. However, what terrifies me is the dream I had about the bottom of the pacific dropping suddenly causing a rather massive worldwide tsunami resulting in massive drownings . . . and that is why I live in Minnesota, far from the splashy edges of the continent, instead of in California where I landed . . .err I mean where I was born.

I can't imagine feeling more sorrow and compassion for those who have drown. The fact that drowning is a possibility in this world has me convinced that this is either hell, or there simply isn't a compassionate god that cares. It I were a god, I'm not sure I could even let my worst enemy drown (waterboard them sure, but not to let anyone actually drown . . . and maybe even that might have serious karmatic turnaround repercussions someday).

Laura, I pray and wish that your cousin is now reincarnated and living in such a wonderful place that it makes up for what he went through. I can not imagine a more horrible way to die, and I can only hope that ultimately there is balance in all of this and in all things.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 08-03-2007 08:58 PM

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 08-03-2007 09:43 PM

Patrick
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 08-03-2007 11:22 PM

Patrick has a nice smile... I wish that I had had a chance to buy him a pint and talk to him about his family and his plans and what he thought about the future.

But, hey, my years (and all of our years) are finite....... there may yet be a time to have that conversation.

As the Zen master said to his students who did plead with him not to die, not to leave them: "Don't be silly.... where could I possibly go?"

budeone
Pirate

Post by budeone » 08-04-2007 11:13 AM

did u c these?

http://drugoi.livejournal.com/2280005.html

edit: For those with dialup this is a huge file.

Shirley
"BUSH" The Worst President in History...

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/512/ ... vg4ce3.jpg

Return to “National”