National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Pet Food Recall

Post by SETIsLady » 03-16-2007 06:12 PM

60 million containers of pet food recalled
Store brands sold at Wal-Mart and Safeway tied to kidney failure, deaths

A major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

“At this juncture, we’re not 100 percent sure what’s happened,” said Paul Henderson, the company’s president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

The recall covers the company’s “cuts and gravy” style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6. The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods did not immediately provide a full list of brand names and lot numbers covered by the recall, saying they would be posted on its Web site — http://www.menufoods.com/recall — early Saturday. Consumers with questions can call (866) 463-6738.

The company said it manufacturers for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies. Its three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

“To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product,” Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17650075/

Eukanuba
Last edited by SETIsLady on 03-16-2007 06:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 03-17-2007 09:44 AM

Linda...

Thanks for posting this last night. It was the first I'd heard of it.

Hope no one's baby is on any of the affected brands.
Glad my boy chows down on Purina One.

HJ
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-17-2007 10:02 AM

No problem HJ, I know we have alot of pirates with furry families members here :) Joolz posted some more in another thread here too.

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-17-2007 10:15 AM

I've heard on other news sources that it was only wet food that was a concern.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-17-2007 10:28 AM

Thanks Biker, you are right.
The recall covers the company’s “cuts and gravy” style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6. The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Company, Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.
any food recalls be it pet food or people food, I usually don't buy any products from the manufacture until they come back and tell us what happened. I don't buy any of these products anyhow. My baby usually gets people food most of the time.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-17-2007 03:20 PM

SETIsLady wrote: Joolz posted some more in another thread here too.

Yep. The LISTS of brands affected by the recall and an article with more info about what kinds of pet foods, are here: showthread.php?s=&threadid=26976
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-17-2007 03:44 PM

UPDATE!!!

Proctor & Gamble refused to allow MenuFoods to list THEIR products on its list, the slimy bastards. How many dogs and cats will die because of this? :mad:

More info below:

P&G Pet Care Announces Voluntary Participation in Menu Foods’ Nationwide U.S. and Canadian Recall of Specific Canned and Small Foil Pouch ‘Wet’ Cat and Dog Foods

Dayton, OH (March 16, 2007) – In response to the recent Menu Foods, Inc. nationwide recall of wet pet foods, P&G Pet Care has announced a voluntary recall in the United States and Canada on specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch “wet” cat and dog food products manufactured by Menu Foods Inc. Emporia, Kansas plant with the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197. This voluntary recall is part of a larger product recall by Menu Foods Inc., a contract manufacturer that makes a small portion of canned and foil pouch ‘wet’ cat foods for Iams and Eukanuba as well as other non-P&G brands. There have been a small number of reported cases of cats from the US (none in Canada) becoming sick and developing signs of kidney failure. The signs of kidney failure include loss of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. P&G Pet Care has received no case reports involving dogs.

This voluntary product recall involves discontinuation of all retail sales and product retrieval from consumers. Consumers should stop using the affected products immediately, and consult with a veterinarian if any symptoms are present in their pet. All Iams and Eukanuba products carry a 100 percent guarantee, and consumers can receive a refund for recalled products. For more information, consumers can contact the company at 1-800-882-1591 or visit http://www.Iams.com and http://www.Eukanuba.com for details.

To read can product codes, refer to the bottom of the can. The first four numbers of the second line of numbers are the date code, and the following four numbers indicate the plant code. For example, if the second line begins with four numbers from 6339 to 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, then the can should be recalled. For foil pouches, the code numbers are located at the lower left hand corner on the back of the pouch. The date and plant codes appear in the third group of numbers, beginning an 11-digit sequence. See http://www.Iams.com and http://www.Eukanuba.com for illustrated details. Review the list of involved products here.

P&G Pet Care is taking this proactive step out of an abundance of caution, because the health and well-being of pets is paramount in the mission of Iams and Eukanuba. Tests of some affected product have not revealed the cause of sickness, and testing will continue until a better understanding of the facts has been achieved. All other canned and small foil wet pouch products produced at other plants are not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba “dry” products are not manufactured at Menu Foods and not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba biscuits, treats and sauces are not affected by this issue.

P&G Pet Care has informed the Food and Drug Administration and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency on this issue. The company regrets any inconvenience to its consumers and retail customers.

http://www.iamsco.com/en_US/jhtmls/iams ... IN&ai=3885
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-17-2007 03:47 PM

Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-17-2007 03:56 PM

Hill’s Science Diet is also doing a “voluntary recall” of certain products. For more info about this and THEIR lists, click below:

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_en_US.htm
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-17-2007 04:12 PM

AND... Purina is recalling "Mighty Dog" pouches...

I'm double-posting this info on BOTH threads, BTW, to make sure that all concerned SEE it...

Purina to voluntarily withdraw Mighty Dog® 5.3 ounce pouch products in response to Menu Foods recall

No other Purina products affected

St. Louis, Missouri, March 16, 2007
Nestlé Purina PetCare Company today announced that as a precautionary measure, it is voluntarily withdrawing its 5.3 ounce Mighty Dog® brand pouch products that were produced by Menu Foods, Inc. from December 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007. This withdrawal is in response to the recall initiated earlier today by Menu Foods, a contract manufacturer that does limited business with Purina as well as with other pet food manufacturers. Only Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch products are being withdrawn by Nestlé Purina, including those pouches contained in multi-packs. Importantly, no Mighty Dog canned products, or any other Purina products are affected by Menu’s recall.

While Purina has no indication of any product quality or safety issues specifically related to our Mighty Dog pouch products, Purina is taking this proactive action out of an abundance of caution in response to the Menu Foods recall.

Consumers who have the indicated Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch products should discontinue feeding them to their dogs and can receive the full replacement value of the withdrawn products by calling 1-800-551-7392.

The Mighty Dog pouch products and pouches in multi-pack cartons have code dates of 6337 through 7073, followed by the plant code 1798. This information should be checked on the bottom or back panel of the individual pouches. Specifically, if the code following the “Use By” date begins with four numbers from 6337 to 7073 followed by the plant code 1798, then the pouch is included in this voluntary withdrawal.

Purina regrets any inconvenience and apologizes for any concern caused by this product withdrawal. The Company will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.

LINK
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 03-17-2007 07:52 PM

FYI... I learned on a morning show recently that pet foods that do not list specific meats as part of the ingredients in their products are more than likely using dead dogs and cats bought from Vets and pounds. They warned that if they only list "meal" in the ingredients don't buy it. If it lists specific meats such as chicken, beef, lamb etc. then it's safe.

This is reprehensible to me!
Last edited by Raggedyann on 03-17-2007 10:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-17-2007 08:33 PM

Hum, what I've fed my cats lists wheat gluton on it, but also meats and by products. Say, maybe we need to make the CEOs of these businesses eat some of that stuff regularly just to show us that it is okay. ? Yeah, new law: anything you sell to be eaten, you must also eat regularly too. there, problem solved.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-18-2007 02:16 AM

Oh, and not so much to worry anyone (rather, more to see the look of green horror on your faces instead) but Arby's makes use of that stuff called wheat gluten too (yuck ! I've said all along that stuff ain't beef - ha). So do other foods they feed these humans, err I mean humons. Really, there's almost nothing safe in the stores to eat any longer .. I was there just the other day and felt ill just walking down the aisles.

Say, is it possible something got into the fields, and that made the bees disappear, and that stuff got in the wheat, and now it's in us too? Maybe it is that stuff they are spraying us with? Ya never know. Freaky though, wheat gluten is used in a lot of things you've already eaten too. oh, I'm starting to feel ill ...
Last edited by Divinorumus on 03-18-2007 02:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-18-2007 03:11 AM

Man, lets just hope this has nothing to actually do with wheat gluten .. or rather, our wheat and what they last sprayed on it. I see one supplier, MGP Ingredients, makes the gluten stuff, and it's used in a LOT of things which get inside YOU! oh, and if this started with the wheat in the fields, and has anything to do with the missing bees too ... whoa, then we've been mass poisoned already and half dead already ... You couldn't trust anything there is to eat any more .. not even soylent green now either. What if it's in everything ... whatever it is. Man, maybe this is that horrible thing I felt coming around the middle of this month when I mentioned that not too long ago when I mentioned that other date too ... scary ..
Last edited by Divinorumus on 03-18-2007 03:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-18-2007 12:56 PM

Products added this AM!

1. Science Diet® Kitten Savory Cuts® Ocean Fish 3 oz. and 5.5 oz.
2. Science Diet® Feline Adult Savory Cuts® Beef 5.5 oz.
3. Science Diet® Feline Adult Savory Cuts® Chicken 5.5 oz.
4. Science Diet® Feline Adult Savory Cuts® Ocean Fish 5.5 oz.
5. Science Diet® Feline Senior Savory Cuts® Chicken 5.5 oz.

And for dogs:
Mighty Dog in foil pouches.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Return to “National”