Pet Food Recall

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

three
Pirate

Post by three » 03-23-2007 06:36 PM

[URL=http://NewsStory.aspx?storyid=14462
&ret=Default.aspx]http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory ... fault.aspx[/URL]

I hope this will work for the link to that list...

three
Pirate

Post by three » 03-23-2007 06:37 PM

it just went on, but I think it hit as a new thread...

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 03-23-2007 06:46 PM

three wrote: [URL=http://NewsStory.aspx?storyid=14462
&ret=Default.aspx]http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory ... fault.aspx[/URL]

I hope this will work for the link to that list...
Link doesn't work. I got a "Server not found" error.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-23-2007 06:58 PM

Joolz still looking on ABC for their report, but it is quoted here on this site:

"ABC News is also questioning the safety of other pet foods:"

"Investigators, meanwhile, are looking into whether the rat poison came into the United States on an ingredient used in the recalled food. ABC News has learned that Menu Foods bought wheat gluten, the only ingredient changed in its plants, from China. That possibility raises questions about the safety of pet and other food products in the United States."

http://www.itchmo.com/

tiffany
Pirate

Here ya go Joolz

Post by tiffany » 03-23-2007 07:05 PM

Pet Food Maker to Take Financial Responsibility for Pet Deaths From Poisoning

March 23, 2007 — The president of pet food maker Menu Foods, which last week issued a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food after a rash of animal sickness and death, said today that the company would reimburse pet owners who can trace their pets' illnesses to the company's products.

Earlier today, New York State veterinary health investigators announced that the pet food responsible for pet deaths around the country was contaminated with the rodent poison aminopterin.

Watch "World News With Charles Gibson" for full details on the extent of the poisoning.

"A pet is an important part of any family," Paul Henderson, the president and CEO of Menu Foods, said at a Toronto press conference. "We understand what pet ownership is."

While Henderson described himself as "angry" over the massive recall and the impact it has had on hundreds of pets, he also said the company has not stopped manufacturing at the two plants believed to have produced the contaminated pet food.

Instead, he said the company, which manufactures nearly 100 brands of dog and cat food, will immediately begin testing any "suspect raw materials" to identify any additional contaminated products.

"We have the support of our customers, we have the support of our employees," Henderson said. "We're confident in the future and we remain confident we can put this behind us."

Investigators, meanwhile, are looking into whether the rat poison came into the United States on an ingredient used in the recalled food. ABC News has learned that Menu Foods bought wheat gluten, the only ingredient changed in its plants, from China. That possibility raises questions about the safety of pet and other food products in the United States.

The chemical can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats, said Donald Smith, dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine, during the conference.

Scientists at the state's food laboratory in Albany, N.Y., made the discovery a week after Menu Foods issued its recall.

"This is one step in a long process that will lead us to know what has happened and how it has happened," Smith said.

Aminopterin is not registered for use as a pesticide in the United States, and it has been known as a potential source of birth defects in humans.

Interestingly, trials are under way to test the chemical's effectiveness in the treatment of certain types of cancer.

ABC News first reported that the rodenticide may have been present in the wheat that was imported from China and used by Menu Foods, according to a source close to the investigation.

Some Vets Remain Skeptical

Some veterinary experts say they are still skeptical as to whether the chemical is responsible for the kidney damage the pets endured.

"With the information that we have, none of us feel that this product fits the lesions we are seeing, but there may be information we don't know yet," said Lawrence McGill, a veterinary pathologist in Salt Lake City. "The feeling is that there are more questions than answers with this product."

"Renal failure is not the expected response to these drugs," said Susan Weinstein, executive director of the Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association. She added that most rodent poisons work as severe anticoagulants — meaning they cause the rats that ingest them to bleed to death.

"Whether this particular toxin in this case can create renal failure depends on how this drug works in the body, which may be an entirely different pathway than the anticoagulants," Weinstein said. "Because we aren't yet familiar with this toxin, we can't be confident of the causation link."

Continued:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-23-2007 07:06 PM

Things seem suspicious to me still.................

three
Pirate

Post by three » 03-23-2007 07:36 PM

http://www.menufoods.com/recall

maybe this one will work. Sorry about the previous one

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-23-2007 07:47 PM

Another slant........their stock went up 25%..

Reports from sites

Rat Poison Found in Tainted Pet Food

Friday March 23, 2007 11:46 PM

AP Photo LA104, NYJF102, NYALT101

By MARK JOHNSON

Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Rat poison was found in pet food blamed for the deaths of at least 17 cats and dogs, but scientists said Friday they still don't know how it got there and predicted more animal deaths would be linked to it.

snip

The substance in the food was identified as aminopterin, a cancer drug that once was used to induce abortions in the United States and is still used to kill rats in some other countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.

The federal government prohibits using aminopterin for killing rodents in the U.S. State officials would not speculate on how the poison got into the pet food, but said no criminal investigations had been launched.

snip

Bob Rosenberg, senior vice president of government affairs for the National Pest Management Association, said it would be unusual for the wheat to be tainted.

``It would make no sense to spray a crop itself with rodenticide,'' Rosenberg said, adding that grain shippers typically put bait stations around the perimeter of their storage facilities.

snip

Aminopterin is no longer marketed as a cancer drug, but is still used in research, said Andre Rosowsky, a chemist with the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston.

Rosowsky speculated that the substance would not show up in pet food ``unless somebody put it there.''

Paul Henderson, chief executive of Ontario, Canada-based Menu Foods, said the company does not believe the food was tampered with because the recalled food came from two different plants, one in Kansas, one in New Jersey. Menu continues to produce food at the two plants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/s ... 6504030...

and

The Kansas City Star has compiled an information sheet about the Menu Foods recall that includes this interesting tidbit (as far as I can tell, this information is exclusive to the Star):

Menu Foods, according to one veterinary toxicologist, was working on some experimental products when it did some testing and found that the food sickened or killed some animals. The company reportedly traced the problem back several weeks to when it started using a new wheat component. The company immediately stopped using that new wheat source, which it used in high concentration in the experimental food. To be safe it recalled every other brand that might contain the new wheat gluten, even in tiny quantities.

http://catmanager.wordpress.com/2007/03 ... id-it-h... /

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... nsumer_...

and:

What other suspect ingredients are there? This story is far from over.

Interestingly, some vets are expressing skepticism over the toxin and it’s link to acute renal failure:

“With the information that we have, none of us feel that this product fits the lesions we are seeing, but there may be information we don’t know yet,” said Lawrence McGill, a veterinary pathologist in Salt Lake City. “The feeling is that there are more questions than answers with this product.”

Also, amazingly, Menu Foods stock has jumped up 25% on this news.

http://www.itchmo.com /

I want the TRUTH - FDA better not protect the corporations"

http://www.democraticunderground.com/di ... 389x489162

Could there be something not right here......came from NJ and KS plants.........hmmmmmmmmmm

Stock up!!!!!! Hello...............

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-23-2007 08:29 PM

So take this scenario..........there sits some evil person at a desk with some others sitting around........and they are trying very hard to think of something big to cause a diversion for the citizens of the country to be really upset about. A diversion so that what they are doing or what they are up to.........is not in the front row as emotions are high with animals getting sick and people getting sick because of what they eat.........Just thinking out loud a what if........

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-23-2007 10:48 PM

Sadly, this was expected.
Yes, wasn't it.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-24-2007 05:02 AM

I have seen this product line several times at the grocery store, but I have read the website and I think I am going to give them a try. They donate most of the profits to Animal Rescue. He has the ingredients on this site and it looks pretty good.

Paul Newmans Organic Pet Food.

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 03-24-2007 05:27 AM

Quite a predicament, huh? Also check on the SOURCE of those ingredients - that is more important than anything! Makes me now wonder, if we really want to feed our pets quality food, will we now have to pay $50 a bag for the good stuff instead of $5 for that bag of stuff made from mystery field and floor sweepings/moppings and fly laced road kill animal guts, poo, and urine. I did a little calculating based upon what I had learned over this last week and what food ingredients really cost and I'm quite surprised they can even sell that stuff for as little as they do.

In any case, those pet food businesses which have lost big time during this last week should be avoided. If they were driven to find cheap ingredients before all this came out, you can bet they will be looking for even cheaper crap NOW. And, of course this whole incident has effected their bottom line. And, they SAY they will pay all those VET bills, but stop and think for a minute. Where will ALL THAT magic money ultimately come from to pay for this "mistake"?

In other words, THEY (if they remain in business) WILL MAKE "YOU" PAY FOR THIS WHOLE INCIDENT!!! ULTIMATELY, YOU WILL BE THE ONES THAT PAY FOR IT ALL! We need to make sure those existing pet food companies involved here are permanently put out of business instead of thinking they can always survive these things AND make US pay for them!!! We must make it a point that if you poison our pets, you're out of business .. and if you poison US, it's off with your freaking heads! An eye-for-an-eye should be enough to keep everyone inline, you would think, huh?

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-24-2007 10:08 AM

Newman’s Own Organics pet food does not contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

I was not aware that Science Diet used GMO's as someone stated here........I think I will try Newman's Own.

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 03-24-2007 10:21 AM

Science Diet dry is what I give my cat... plus assorted cat treats and tuna (i can't get away with eating it without giving her some). i have never bought those moisture packs. i will definately see if Newmans Organic is available this weekend in my area and buy it, if it's available.

true organics is the way to go now, i see. too much tainted foods for us and our animals on the market....

also consider changing the water that you drink to filtered or distilled.... tap w/o a filter should be out!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-24-2007 10:52 AM

I was horrified to hear that instead of testing the food in a lab, they tested on 6 live animals. Menu Foods, specializes in dog and cat food manufacturing and the executed these poor animals. I am not sure what the hell they were trying to prove other than yea the food is killing pets. They could have gotten those same answers with lab results.

Any how, this company has no business making any forms of food for the animals, or anyone else for that matter.

::::where is Div's voodoo stick !!!:::::::

Return to “National”