OMG! Katrina - Hell on Wheels!!

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 08-30-2005 05:49 PM

There is or was a lockdown at the Superdome as the U.S. National Guardsmen would not let people leave the Superdome.

At one point the National Guard wouldn't let people take a walk on the large walkway surrounding the dome to get fresh air.

http://fpiarticle.blogspot.com/2005/08/ ... leans.html

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 08-30-2005 06:08 PM

Thank you for the updates Sandy..was working all day and kept popping in.

I haven't heard if Florida is sending any power trucks I know they are still working here in Broward/Miami Dade...but the State of Florida, should send at least 1/2 of the other trucks, so many states came to help us last year.

I heard Home Depot was allowing their employees to go there to volunteer to help and they would pay them like normal while they are gone. Something nice from Corporate America.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-30-2005 06:52 PM

New Orleans in a State of Crisis
Residents Loot Stores, Officials Say 80 Percent of City Flooded
By ADAM NOSSITER, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Aug. 30) - Helicopters dropped sandbags on two broken levees as the water kept rising in the streets. The governor drew up plans to evacuate just about everyone left in town. Looters ransacked stores. Doctors in their scrubs had to use canoes to bring supplies to blacked-out hospitals.

Dave Martin, AP
Looters carry groceries from a convenience store in New Orleans.

More Storm Coverage: Latest News | Damage by State

Watch Multiband Video: Looters Hit Deserted Stores

Talk About It: Daily Pulse Blog | Post Thoughts

New Orleans sank deeper into crisis Tuesday, a full day after Hurricane Katrina hit.

"It's downtown Baghdad," said tourist Denise Bollinger, who snapped pictures of looting in the French Quarter. "It's insane."

The mayor estimated that 80 percent of New Orleans was flooded, while a countless number of residents were still stranded on rooftops.

Hospitals were running out of power and scrambling to find places to take their patients. At one clinic, broken glass littered some areas and patients and staff had fallen on floors slick with floodwaters.

"It's like being in a Third World country," said Mitch Handrich, a registered nurse manager at Charity Hospital, where nurses were ventilating patients by hand after the power and then the backup generator failed. Some 300 patients had yet to be evacuated.

"We're just trying to stay alive," Handrich said.

The historic French Quarter appeared to have been spared the worst flooding, but its stores were getting the worst of human nature.

"The looting is out of control. The French Quarter has been attacked," Councilwoman Jackie Clarkson said. "We're using exhausted, scarce police to control looting when they should be used for search and rescue while we still have people on rooftops."

As Sen. Mary Landrieu flew over the area by helicopter, a group of people smashed a window at a convenience store and jumped in.

At a drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers. One looter shot and wounded a fellow looter, who was taken to a hospital and survived.

Rescue teams were still picking up people throughout the city Tuesday, leaving them on island-like highway overpasses and on a levee to wait to be moved again. Eventually, they will end up in the Superdome, where 15,000 to 20,000 people have taken already refuge, said Louisiana National Guard Maj. Gen. Bennett C. Landreneau. One man died in the Superdome after falling from a raised walkway.

On a grassy hill in the Carrolton neighborhood, a group of people watched the water quickly rising in the street, about a foot an hour by some estimates.

William Washington had gone to bed in dry house Monday night, well after the hurricane had passed. The water came up Tuesday after the levee broke, and by afternoon his home was flooded.

"We're trying to get to the Superdome," Washington said as he waited with neighbors. "We're waiting for the National Guard. The radio mentioned that they would pick people up."

With hundreds, if not thousands, of people still stranded in flooded homes, attics and rooftops across the city, rescue boats were bypassing the dead to reach the living, Mayor C. Ray Nagin said.

"We're not even dealing with dead bodies," Nagin said. "They're just pushing them on the side."

The hospitals' patients were slowly being evacuated - the babies in intensive care had been flown out already - and state officials were weighing plans to evacuate the entire city.

A few more feet of water could wipe out the entire city water system, said Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief.

The intestates are impassable, the bridges may be unstable and no one knows if the buildings can withstand the damage brought by Katrina, the governor said after flying over the region.

"We saw block after block, neighborhood and neighborhood inundated," Blanco said, her voice breaking with emotion. "It's just heartbreaking."

Sean Jeffries of New Orleans had already been evacuated from one French Quarter hotel when he was ordered out of a second hotel Tuesday because of rising water.

The 37-year-old banker - who admitted to looting some food from a nearby supermarket - said the hotel guests were told they were being taken to a convention center, but from there, they didn't know.

"We're in the middle of a national tragedy," he said as he popped purloined grapes in his mouth. "But I know this city. We will be back. It may take awhile. But we will be back."

08-30-05 18:14 EDT

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-30-2005 06:55 PM

Hundreds or Thousands May Be Trapped

By HOLBROOK MOHR , AP

7:11PM ET Update: An emergency management official has confirmed more than 100 dead from Hurricane Katrina in the Biloxi-Gulfport area of Mississippi.

GULFPORT, Miss. (Aug. 30) - Rescuers in boats and helicopters struggled to reach hundreds of wet and bedraggled victims of Hurricane Katrina along the Gulf Coast on Tuesday, while New Orleans slipped deeper into crisis as water began rising in the streets because of a levee break.

The magnitude of the disaster - and the death toll in particular - became clearer with every tale of misery. Mississippi's governor said the number of dead in one county alone could be as high as 80.

"At first light, the devastation is greater than our worst fears. It's just totally overwhelming," Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said the morning after Katrina howled ashore with winds of 145 mph and engulfed thousands of homes in one of the most punishing storms on record in the United States.

Quotes on the Devastation

J. Harvey, Cuddles in Gulfport (AP) ''I held her hand as tight as I could. She told me, 'You can't hold me.' She told me to take care of the kids and the grandkids.''

-- Harvey Jackson of Biloxi, Miss., whose wife slipped into floodwaters as their house split in two

1/6

Sources: AP, AP/NBC, CNN

In New Orleans, water began rising in the streets Tuesday morning, swamping an estimated 80 percent of the city and prompting the evacuation of hotels and hospitals. The water was also rising perilously inside New Orleans' Superdome, and Blanco said the tens of thousands of people now huddled there and other shelters would have to be evacuated as well.

"The situation is untenable," Blanco said at a news conference. "It's just heartbreaking."

Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water. Also, looting broke out in some neighborhoods.

New Orleans lies mostly below sea level and is protected by a network of pumps, canals and levees. Officials began using helicopters to drop 3,000-pound sandbags onto one of the levees, hoping to close the breach.

All day, rescuers were also seen using helicopters to drop lifelines to victims and pluck them from the roofs of homes cut off by floodwaters. The Coast Guard said it rescued some 1,200 people.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said hundreds, if not thousands, of people may still be stuck on roofs roofs and in attics, and so rescue boats were bypassing the dead.

Oh my God, this is so awful.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-30-2005 07:12 PM

BATON ROUGE, La. - With water rising in the streets of New Orleans and conditions rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that the tens of thousands of people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers would have to be evacuated.Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water.

For more on this story, go to http://www.usatoday.com.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 08-30-2005 08:23 PM

mudwoman wrote: There is or was a lockdown at the Superdome as the U.S. National Guardsmen would not let people leave the Superdome.

At one point the National Guard wouldn't let people take a walk on the large walkway surrounding the dome to get fresh air.

http://fpiarticle.blogspot.com/2005/08/ ... leans.html
I understand (intellectually) the reasoning behind this, but I can see how some of these people might have a very hard time (emotionally) with suddenly discovering that they and their families are being held prisoner. Their nerves have to be frazzled in about a kazillion directions as it is. I heard on the news that some of them were "losing it," though that wasn't defined. But it's easy to understand. The very thought of being under martial law sends shivers up my spine.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-30-2005 08:31 PM

I am praying that they get those poor people out of that Dome as soon as possible.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-31-2005 10:02 AM

Over the next two days - those in the dome will be moved to the Astrodome in Houston. (news early 8-31-05) Others being rescued will also go there.

Return to “National”