Elective Office

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

JOEBIALEK

Elective Office

Post by JOEBIALEK » 08-03-2005 06:26 PM

One of the ambitious proposals put forth by former Vice-President Al Gore was the "re-invention" of government. While the Clinton Administration may have made some progress towards promoting greater efficiency, the result was that government actually grew in size mainly because of bureaucratic self-perpetuation. No one in the United States would disagree that the reduction of government waste should be given top priority. However, before tackling such a problem, one must examine the root causes and not merely treat the symptoms.

When our founding fathers wrote the Constitution, they deliberately left out the "structural path" of elective office but were very clear on names of offices, branches of government, duties of elected officials etcetera. However, what they failed to foresee was the need for elective offices to follow a required path. For example, take the leader of the executive branch; if a person wants to be elected president of the United States, they must first serve as mayor of a city, commissioner of a county and then governor of a state. The two-term limit (eight years) should also be extended to include these lower chief executives as well.

The legislative branch should have a similar path. If one wants to be elected United States senator, they must first serve as a U.S. congressperson from that state. Before serving as a congressperson, they must serve as a councilperson of a city, representative of a state and then as a state senator. The two-term limit should apply here as well.

As for the judicial branch, a United States supreme court justice must serve as a municipal court judge of a city, common pleas court judge of a county, circuit court or district court judge of a state, appeals court judge and state supreme court judge. The two-term limit would apply here also.

Furthermore, the education of these candidates to-be should entail the equivalent of earning a bachelors degree, masters degree and a doctorate in philosophy degree. These degrees must be earned prior to running for elective office. Besides providing a focused academic training it will promote a greater maturity in our candidates before they experience the rigors of their first elective office.

Few could doubt that this path would provide good practical training for those seeking higher office while at the same time establishing a track record that voters could more easily analyze and understand. The two-term limit would allow greater participation because the office would be wide open every eight years. This would force the elected official to properly execute his/her duties and not be as influenced by the various special interest groups.

Government today is often seen as part of the problem rather than a solution to the problem. Perhaps if the United States would consider a path of development for its "philosopher kings" public trust would return and something may actually get done.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 08-04-2005 09:39 AM

Joe -- on some things you suggest I can readily agree should be done.

I'd go further in some areas. I'd start with congress critters. I'd make sure that no one is elected to congress from any State who had not served in some elected capacity within the State of residency and I would also require a minimum of five years residency in that State. I'd also require that the person so elected to federal office - at the end of the term - spend same number of years in the State he/she represented.

I would set two terms at 6 yrs - so they get work done, and they would have to be in attendance to all major votes at least 80% of time or lose pay. They would also have to sign statements to the effect of personally reading every bill they vote on.

As to them having college degrees - not necessarily required. There are some very smart people in this world who do not have college degrees.

I'd also put an end to congress critters abilities to vote in their own pay raises every year. AND put an end to the equal pay upon retirement from the office they have held.

JOEBIALEK

same

Post by JOEBIALEK » 09-02-2005 04:31 PM

good points

palosheights
Pirate

Post by palosheights » 09-03-2005 08:36 AM

and no conflict of interest, not even the hint of conflict, because right now big business owns the politicians and since big business is multinational its not inconcievable that china will one day own the united states.

andy

ps how do you think china got its missle guidance system, it was with bill clinton being buddies buddies with the chinese so he could get political contributions.

Return to “National”