Moving Forward - Who is up to the task?

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Linnea

Moving Forward - Who is up to the task?

Post by Linnea » 03-11-2007 03:58 PM

Excerpts from a WaPo column by David Broder. (Yah. I know)

[In reference to a public opinion poll]

By an even greater proportion -- almost 3 to 1 -- [they] say the main goal of American foreign policy should be to protect the security of the United States and its allies, rather than the promotion of freedom and democracy.

The impact of Iraq can be seen in another question. By 70 percent to 27 percent, they agree with the statement that "sometimes it's better to leave a dictator in charge of a hostile country, if he is contained, rather than risk chaos that we can't control if he is brought down."

Practicality now trumps idealism at every turn. Endorsements of U.S. policy by allies and international organizations are highly valued. By 58 percent to 38 percent, those polled agree with the statement that "if negotiating with countries that support terrorism, like Iran and Syria, will help protect our security interests, the U.S. should consider negotiating with them."

But practicality is far from a complete policy. What people really want is a way of looking at the world and understanding America's part in it -- a narrative that would replace the rejected Bush scenario. As William Galston of the Brookings Institution, who was a consultant on the poll, remarked to me, "Until now, most of the candidate-posturing has centered on Iraq." But this poll suggests a deeper need. "People are looking for a candidate who suggests a way to defend our essential interests while regaining some of our lost esteem."

Who is up to the task?

*ref: The Fading Freedom Mission/WaPa/David Broder/March 11, 2007

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 03-11-2007 08:25 PM

I am hanging back waiting to see who runs. If I had to choose right now I would probably back Bill Richardson.

I think Obama is inspirational. I read and enjoyed Audacity of Hope (even if it was a wee bit "Jesus-y" for me), and I think he makes a case for moving things into a more positive, pro-active direction. However he has little or no administrative experience, no foreign policy experience and very little time in the legislative branch (although this maybe a good thing).

Edwards was one of my favorite candidates in 2004, but this go round he irritates me and I think he's trying to court the Southern uber-Christian group. He's not connecting with me this time and I haven't heard any concrete ideas for policy change or legislation he would propose.

Hilary...ah...Hilary. I am not sure why I cannot get behind this woman. I should be pleased we have the first electable female ever to run for President. But my thing with her is instinctual. I do not trust her. Just a gut feeling, but she is (IMHO) what the kids refer to as a poseur.

Bill Richardson has so much experience in all of the troublesome issues we face right now in this country. Name a hot-button issue and the man has experience solving problems in it.

Foreign policy: He's been the US Ambassador to the UN. He's done direct negotiation in the Middle East, Cuba and with No Korea. Bush even called on him to negotiate the cease-fire in Darfur. He's probably the most highly respected candidate by world leaders and Lord knows we are going to need somebody who is a strong fencemender when we're done with GWB and Co.

Energy: He was Secretary of Energy and implemented the toughest emissions standards to that time. As Gov of New Mexico he's demanded some of the strongest demands on "clean energy" on NM utilities of any state.

Immigration: The man has lived in Mexico, he's part Hispanic and yet is tough on illegal immigration. He's dealt with this issue, being a border Govenor and know the importance of securing the border.

He was a congressman for 15 years and maintains excellent relations on both sides of the aisle. For my money he is the most qualified person who's run for President in decades and has a wonderful skill set for this time in history.

He can't seem to get the same pub that the other 3 get though because he's not flashy. I watch Hardball because I like Chris Mathews and he seems to be the only news host who is behind Richardson and regularly has him on.
Last edited by Psychicwolf on 03-11-2007 09:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-11-2007 09:31 PM

Linn, I haven't a clue........no one is standing out for me......I will not vote in.... part of the Royal family again................Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton....no no no...........

Maybe if we do a group consciousness for a REAL candidate one will appear.............
Last edited by tiffany on 03-11-2007 09:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Pennylane005
Pirate

Post by Pennylane005 » 03-12-2007 05:30 PM

Psychicwolf wrote: I am hanging back waiting to see who runs. If I had to choose right now I would probably back Bill Richardson.

Hi Psychicwolf,

I agree that having diplomats in the White House would be a welcome change for the USA. New Mexico’s Governor Bill Richardson is well-qualified. His laid-back style is adding an interesting dimension to the 2008 presidential race. While I doubt he has what it takes to be the democratic candidate for president, I have a gut feeling that he is being cultivated as Hillary Clinton's VP candidate.

What irks me about Governor Richardson has to do with his actions following the 2004 presidential race. It was a very close race for New Mexico. The winner ultimately was Bush, but it was only by a handful of votes. The presidential third party candidates requested a re-count. According to NM law, they were required to put some money up front to pay for the recount, just a portion of the estimated total cost. And they did. However, Governor Richardson and the NM Secretary of State somehow managed to stymie the recount. No explanation of this action was presented and no recount ever took place in spite of the fact that there was plenty of evidence of massive voter fraud throughout the state.

This really ticked me off! I believe my vote was stolen by Diebolt. Even today, when I pass by the elementary school where I cast my vote on that fateful day, it feels as if I am returning to the scene of the crime.

New Mexico politics often get very down and dirty. Richardson has not distinguished himself as anyone particularly outraged by this fact. His friendly demeanor is enchanting, but I wonder what kind of man he really is.

Having Richardson in the White House is rather like having Georgy Noory as the host of Coast to Coast. In both situations a comforting image rules over substance.

Pennylane005

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 03-12-2007 06:01 PM

One that I know of and appreciate... and one whose hand I did shake several years ago..... one who opened the rally by singing (beautifully) "America the Beautiful".

Dennis Kucinich.

Failing that..... Edwards and/or Wes Clark.

Failing that (and it is the media who will choose the candidates, unfortunately) ..... I will vote Green.

Failing that..... I will vote with the absolute independants.... Smith and Wessen.

A change IS coming. The time and method are yet to be determined.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 06:05 PM

corvid

and I haven't even read ya yet':D :D :D

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 03-12-2007 06:25 PM

((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))) Corvid :D

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 06:29 PM

If Ron Paul or Tom Tancredo don't make it, I'll likely vote 3rd party although Duncan Hunter looks interesting.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 06:33 PM

Well, for myself, Hillary is out, same reason Tiff' gave...

No more father/son, no more husband and wife, period.

Edwards, nope. Thinks he is too cute.

Barack Obama... not ready yet to lead a nation out of this horror..
VP', maybe.

Dennis Kucinich.' Yes' If only he could wear a 1960's John Wayne body';)

I was looking at Governor Richardson of NM', but then Pennylane005' reminded me, what NM did with Diebolt machines and no recount. Yep', that po'ed me, now that I think about it...

Let's see... who's left...?

Well, you know I'd give my vote to Al Gore if he ran in o8'...
But'....

Waiting for more developments on the scene.

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 06:35 PM

Biker wrote: If Ron Paul or Tom Tancredo don't make it, I'll likely vote 3rd party although Duncan Hunter looks interesting.

Biker

Oh God! Not him... He is from San Diego.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 03-12-2007 06:39 PM

Corvid great to see you!!! You're looking good.:)

Dennis Kucinich.
Failing that..... Edwards and/or Wes Clark.
That sounds good to me, but can Edwards and Clark sing.
:D

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 03-12-2007 07:00 PM

Well Shirleypal, If they could go platinum, and raise $150 million up front to play the game.

I'd go for Wes'

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 03-12-2007 07:21 PM

Actually, if it wasn't for his 2ndA issues, I could possibly see myself voting for Clark.

Biker
"Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding".

Ian Anderson

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 03-12-2007 08:26 PM

Corvid ;)

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 03-12-2007 08:50 PM

Waverider wrote: now that I think about it...

Let's see... who's left...?

Well, you know I'd give my vote to Al Gore if he ran in o8'...
But'....

Waiting for more developments on the scene.

I could easily vote for Al for scientific reasons.... but the world trade thing is an if. A big one at that.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”