whskyfan
Pirate

IRS to churches: Watch what you preach

Post by whskyfan » 10-02-2006 10:06 PM

IRS to churches: Watch what you preach
Inside the First Amendment

By Charles C. Haynes
First Amendment Center senior scholar

Angry confrontations over the role of churches in politics are now a staple of every election cycle — and this year’s mid-term battles are no exception.

Leaders of the Christian Right are working overtime to mobilize evangelical churches to get out the vote. In response, church-state watchdog groups are warning that those efforts could result in churches’ losing their tax-exempt status.

What Focus on the Family calls nonpartisan appeals to “values voters,” Americans United for Separation of Church and State characterizes as “a church-based political machine on behalf of favored Republican candidates.”

Hovering ominously above the debate are the dreaded IRS agents who have vowed to enforce the section of the tax code that prohibits all tax-exempt charitable organizations, including churches, from participating or intervening in any political campaign for or against any candidate.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 10-02-2006 10:38 PM

For the first time in my life, I say "Go IRS!"
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 10-02-2006 11:00 PM

Agreed.

But this has me wondering if they'll also forbid Churches to present Jesus as the Prince of Peace that He was?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-03-2006 01:29 AM

Nah... altho they might prefer a more politically correct title. Secretary of State, maybe? LOL

Squall
Pirate

Post by Squall » 10-03-2006 05:51 AM

Yeshua (Jesus, in Anglican) said to render to Caesar what is his, and to God what is God's. Is tax-exemption Biblical to begin with?
"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 10-03-2006 06:59 AM

majda wrote: For the first time in my life, I say "Go IRS!"

I felt the same way when I read this.

There are many people that are greatly influenced by their church and feel obligated to vote accordingly. I believe this is one of the reasons for separation of church and state.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-03-2006 10:52 AM

While I have never believed churches should be exempt from paying taxes (after all, what use does GOD have for the money?), I believe Congress and Senate GOPs should stop hiring religiously-groomed young people who have been home-schooled and are being infiltrated into Capitol Hill to eventually run for office and impose their strict, religious disciplines on the rest of us. Until they stop THAT, I feel goverrnment has no business going after selected churches who oppose the GOP.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 10-04-2006 12:12 PM

Churches and tax exempt status should only apply to the church property - and only where the church sits and ministerial home (usually provided to ministers-priests) -- and church schools. BUT have seen far too many churches that keep extending their "church property" to include farm land and other places. I find that is wrong too.

As for what the churches preach - I do think they should stay out of politics at least in the USA - can't say anything about other countries as they seem to be overrun by religious rule.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 10-04-2006 12:22 PM

I remember how my own church preached against electing a Catholic to the Presidency. I was so appalled, I got up and stomped out in front of everyone, and I was just a binky, then. I stayed up nearly all night, watching the election results come in. My Grandma was pacing and wringing her hands, and Grandpa was in the bedroom, on his knees, praying out loud for the Lord to intervene and keep the anti-christ out of the White House. When JFK was elected, and I stood up and CHEERED... they both knew right then there was no hope for me. I was a lost soul...

Divinorumus
Pirate

Post by Divinorumus » 10-04-2006 12:24 PM

I don't know what everyone has been thinking here, but there never has been nor ever will be separation of church and state. Church is after all just an alternate political party itself, with their own ideas and beliefs of how the world should and/or should not be too. They all desire to control and manipulate the world which is not theirs to do so with either. Politics and religion are all part of that one in the same evil at constant conflict over control, regardless of who is kidding whom. This matrix reeks of religious and political deception, eh? The truth is always an elusive thang among the make believer deceivers ...

Squall
Pirate

Post by Squall » 10-04-2006 11:36 PM

Barbie wrote: (after all, what use does GOD have for the money?)
To help ministers go out on missions and preach the Christian message. Whether or not one agrees with the message itself, the notion of pooling resources to send emissaries (the best translation of the original Greek words) out goes all the way back to Paul and Barnabas. As it stands, the notion of churches not paying tax is connected to the Roman Catholic Empire, and is not present in the original materials.
"Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 10-05-2006 12:37 AM

Barbie wrote: While I have never believed churches should be exempt from paying taxes (after all, what use does GOD have for the money?), I believe Congress and Senate GOPs should stop hiring religiously-groomed young people who have been home-schooled and are being infiltrated into Capitol Hill to eventually run for office and impose their strict, religious disciplines on the rest of us. Until they stop THAT, I feel goverrnment has no business going after selected churches who oppose the GOP.

A big YES Barbie! Religion should be a strictly personal thing. It has NO place in politics! :mad: And yes, churches should pay taxes. They are run as businesses. Today, almost anyone can be a 'preacher' or 'minister' -- set up a 'church', take in money -- pay no taxes -- and live happily ever after, tax free. Everyone has a right to worship as they choose. I want the same right not to have religious underpinnings in the government that makes laws that affect me!
Last edited by majda on 10-05-2006 12:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”