Political Compass for Fantastic Forum

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-27-2006 02:35 AM

Shirley,
Thank you for passing the word that my computer was down. Water (condensation) dripped off the bottom of my glass onto the numbers pad and shorted out my keyboard. I'm usually more careful, but was distracted on the phone at the time. I got a new keyboard today, so I'm poorer, but I'm back on-line. :)

Cherry
Yep, a spare is good to have and $10 is a great price.

Yes, we're seeing identity thefts, and the more databases that are compiled on us the more we're going to see this happening. Why aren't you speaking out against your party's continuing to advance database collection on us all?

Corvid
Have I told you lately that I'm glad you're here? You liven the place up and generally put a smile on my face, thanks. :)

Bell
Best to you, as always.

Patty
I hope you have a lovely vacation.

Joolz
Thank you for your kindness and support. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread and that you see it the same way I do. I have a lot of respect for our friends here who vote Republican, but found themselves in Dem territory on the chart and came forth and admitted it honestly. If anything, this should open dialogue and help us find common ground. The really interesting thing is that nobody scored anywhere close to GWB. Not even close to Kerry.

Joe
In the last few days you have attempted to derail my threads about five times, shaming me for starting them and others for participating in them. We all do what we can, nobody here should dictate to others, and different approaches are needed. If you think about it, you will see that alienating people only reaps the firmest opposition, but finding common ground opens dialogue that can lead to beneficial change for all. Start whatever topics you like, and I'll be happy to support you as I can, or stay out of your threads if I feel I have nothing positive to contribute. Thank you in advance for returning that level of respect to me and others.

Whskyfan
Here's the new chart with you on it. I hope I got you in the right place. :)

Everyone
I hope we can continue the good discussions that can come of this thread, and resist the attempts to derail it. Thanks! :)
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 06-27-2006 05:45 AM

Lady Iris,
It has been said; "better late than never". With that in mind, thank you for this thread, and all the work you've put into it. Be well, my friend. :) :)
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 06-27-2006 09:42 AM

Iris, as a sign of my respect for you --- and only as a sign of my respect for you --- I will desist from posting further in this topic.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-27-2006 02:52 PM

Jon-Marcus wrote: Lady Iris,
It has been said; "better late than never". With that in mind, thank you for this thread, and all the work you've put into it. Be well, my friend. :) :)
Thank you, Jon-Marcus. I am happy to do this for everyone, and hope that it's caused folks to do some thinking about their individual positions, and others' positions on the chart. :)
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-27-2006 02:53 PM

joequinn wrote: Iris, as a sign of my respect for you --- and only as a sign of my respect for you --- I will desist from posting further in this topic.
Thank you, Joe. I am a firm believer that it takes a villiage, and that women have as much to contribute as men.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-27-2006 11:47 PM

I dunno about the rest of you, but I decided I'm tired of cleaning my keyboard, and tired of the once in a great while drips or spills shorting it out. Plus I tend to wear the letters off the keys. So I just wrapped my entire new keyboard in a plastic bag from the grocery store. Works great, and I can still see the letters, if need be. Crackles a little when I type, but I think I'll get used to the feel and sound of it. :D

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 06-27-2006 11:50 PM

Iris wrote: I dunno about the rest of you, but I decided I'm tired of cleaning my keyboard, and tired of the once in a great while drips or spills shorting it out. Plus I tend to wear the letters off the keys. So I just wrapped my entire new keyboard in a plastic bag from the grocery store. Works great, and I can still see the letters, if need be. Crackles a little when I type, but I think I'll get used to the feel and sound of it. :D

Iris be careful where you're putting that plastic.:D

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-28-2006 07:49 AM

I'm still trying to guess what you mean by that, Shirley, and I'm afraid to ask. :D

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 06-28-2006 09:55 PM

Is there any room left in that quadrant? I saw this thread from afar, but didn't think to visit...Its tough to take one of these without picking apart the questions/wording..wondering in what way I'll be mispegged in the final anaylsis.

But ah well, screw it:D...Economic Left/Right: -4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-28-2006 10:23 PM

Hi Luna! There's always room for one more. :) How's this? Did I get you in the right place? How did you feel about your placement, and how do you feel about others' placements? Any surprises?

SooSoo
Pirate

Post by SooSoo » 06-28-2006 10:29 PM

Hello...looks like I'm a bit on my own:

Economic left/right 2.75
Social libertarian/authoritarian -1.38

lunacat
Pirate

Post by lunacat » 06-29-2006 02:05 AM

Thanks Iris:). Yep, that looks about right. I'm not too surprised to see where I ended up...I felt it would be in that quadrant somewhere to the right of Gandhi. I knew some of our relatively right leaning posters would show themselves to be more left than they come across in so many areas.

Then there's Starbuck way over there like Pluto:D. I wonder what views he has that make even racehorse and Cherry look like hippies:p .

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-29-2006 11:34 AM

Iris - regarding keyboards -- if you have a standard keyboard - there IS a special made plastic piece that fits on the keyboard. (My aunt has one, but I have not seen one yet for my natural keyboard, but then I've not looked too hard for one.)

===
As for speaking out against all these database -- I have on several occasions, maybe not so much here - except if you look I had started a thread on ID theft... and now GOOGLE wants to create a database on individuals WITH their CC info and their CC card numbers....
===

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 06-29-2006 07:15 PM

Lunacat
You're very welcome. :) Interesting question about Starbuck, and I've wondered too. He said, if I recall, he feels he should have scored lower on the chart. I think we can assume a + or - error of about three squares in any direction, and that should make folks feel a little more comfy -- based on the fact that we all might have answered just a wee bit differently, depending on our mood. Such as a "strongly" might have just been an agree or a disagree, and so on. But we all answered the same questions, so that's fair to all. It does make me stop and think about myself and others here -- and I hope it does that for everyone. You can bet that some were so surprised and unhappy with their scores that they didn't report them. I had to laugh at your comment about hippies. :D

Cherry
Yes, I'm thinking about getting a keyboard cover. Costs about the same as a new keyboard, but if it extends the life of a keyboard out to the three-keyboard range, it's worth it.

The push for databases is a corporate/fascist agenda and will continue as long as we have corporate/fascists in power. You have wisely recognized the need for controlling lobbyists. Do you also recognize the need for campaign finance reform? We all need to vote this year and in '08 with these things firmly in mind, doncha' think?

SooSooo
Thank you for reporting your scores. Here is the new chart with your dot/name on it. Please check to be sure I got you in the right placement. (I answered your post in the Russ Feingold thread, btw.)

Image Niner, Lockhart, Pegasus, Clatu, Waverider, HB3, CaptSpikeMike, Majda, Corvid, Lunacat, Vigo, Lord Moon -- and anyone else who posts in Politics or would like to be on the chart, take the test and report your scores, please!

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 06-29-2006 07:50 PM

Iris, Mike took the test a few pages back: :)

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Soc Lib/Authoritarian: -3.38

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”